Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digitar vs apo componon HM  (Read 11848 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
digitar vs apo componon HM
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:58:08 am »

hello

I have a few questions regarding digitar lenses.
What is the relationship between digitar lenses and the
apo-componon HM lenses. Are they the same lenses ?

check out the PDF on the schneider website, the constructions looks the same.

I'm trying to find some info on this as I've been told that in the past
the 60mm and the 90mm componon were supplied to be used
with Sinar Digital backs.

The truth is I just bought a 90mm APO componon HM lens on a copal 0 shutter
because the guy said it is the same as the digitar. Now after transferring over the
money I kinda started to do the digging :|

thanks and cheers

ixpressraf

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:39:12 am »

I am not sure they really are but i am using apo componons as picture taking lenses ever since 1998 when i got my first 35mm digital camera. I adapted an old canon FD bellows to fit Nikon and used the FD to M42 adapter to put my various componons in front. I only did studio photography at the time but results made the well rated nikon micro nikkors look like the bottom of a milk bottle. No scharpening was needed to get perfect results. At nikon europe they simply said nikon lenses where better and that i should keep this to myself and not to upset others.....
Nowadays i still use theme vey often on my digiflexII or the contax 645 with CF39 backs.
Image quality is stunning but the out of focus rendering is not that nice.

Henry Goh

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:48:07 am »

Componon lenses = Flat Field design

ixpressraf

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:03 am »

Just try it and you will see how nice and extremely sharp they are. Cambo used also componons but were called digital cambonars, i have them in 90 an 60mm.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:20:17 am »

rueyloon, I had dealings w/ this gent as well. he seems pretty convinced they are the same, and seemed quite knowlegable on the subject. I use a 90mm Digitar daily on a cambo x2-pro w/ my 5D and the results are amazing. if it's anywhere near the the digitar, you'll be impressed. I was going to buy th 60mm off him, but not compatable w/ the x2-pro

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:47:46 am »

I have the Cambonars - 60, 80, 90 & 120 that I were mounted in that big electronic shuter that Schneider developed for Cambo & the Megavision T2 system.   Those shutters are worthless and all the glass was put into new shutters.  I communicated a number of times with people at Schneider  they all stated that all "Cambonar" lenses are "Digitar" lenses in superior quality.

All four of these lenses are wicked sharp - the best part is that I got all four on EBAY for $1100

RichardChang

• http://www.TransitionOfTone.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:01:25 pm »

Quote from: GregShapps,Nov 5 2007, 02:47 PM
I have the Cambonars - 60, 80, 90 & 120 that I were mounted in that big electronic shuter that Schneider developed for Cambo & the Megavision T2 system.   Those shutters are worthless and all the glass was put into new shutters.  

This is obviously not a true statement.  The "shutter" that you're suggesting is worthless is in fact, not a shutter at all, but perhaps that's why you did not find any value in it.

The MegaVision T2 and T32 have shutters built into the three pass filter wheel; internally in the camera back, which is why there's no shutter in the AutoStop mechanism.  AutoStop apertures allowed 1/10 f-stop accuracy from stop down shot, to wide open, to stop down shot; all without touching the lens.  This is because the AutoStop workflow was designed in concert with MegaVision's Photoshoot software-- you used the computer to control the opening of the lens for focus, setting the aperture for focussing, and setting the aperture for shooting.  You can even see Color Coded Light Metering in live focus so you can set the lighting using modeling lights and expect it to match the strobe output (assuming you have good strobes like Broncolor).

Richard Chang
MegaVision, Inc.

Phil Indeblanc

Re: digitar vs apo componon HM
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 02:45:16 am »

So no solid answer on this? :-)

(back from the dead!)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

RomanN.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »

Apo Componon Hm 60,80, 90 are 100% the same lenses as Apo Digitar 60,80,90
Apo Componon HM 150= Apo digitar 150
Apo Digitar 210 mm would be indeed Apo Componon Hm, but there was only non HM 210 componon made for film, so the Apo Hm exist only as Apo Digitar.
Apo Digitar 120 is Apo Symmar 120 mm (72° version, not L version)
Super Angulon 47 mm= Apo Digitar 47 mm
To understand the name digitar it is important to know that this is NOT a name of a special lens design!
Componon, Angulon, Symmar, Xenar are lensdesigns, Digitar means only that this lens is good for digital work, but the lens design is componon, Angulon or Symmar. The same with rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital lenses that are Apo Grandagons, Apo Sironar S and N.
There are indeed some lenses that exist only as digitar- or apo sironar digital like 35 xl, 43 xl or Roddy 90 , but they are also S.angulons/grandagon designs.
At the start of the digital photography the lenses in the digital schneider shutters had the desigh name componon, symmar or angulon and the second digitar or cambonar name.
Later schneider started to use digitar name only, than added the Apo name, after Roddy started to use the Apo sironar digital name ( Why? becouse too much peaople ask if their lenses are worst that roddy becouse thay have no Apo name- silly but it is buissness).
I hope this helps...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 11:51:06 pm »

you left out the Schneider Macro 180
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 10:31:13 am »

So just to ask a few silly questions - can one assume these are the "transitional" lenses, using older lens designs, but with tighter tolerances in their manufacture?
For example, I have a Rodie Apo-Sironar digital 55 (purple band), and a Schneider Apo-Digitar 35XL;  both work well with a 33mp back. Are they from this older approach to lens design?

Were they replaced by some new formulations replaced them? Or are they still made?

And the real kicker: up to what size back (or down to what pixel size) would one recommend them? Are they largely for the earlier backs, say up to 2010, with the 6.7um pixel size?

Any guidance would be useful. Thank you!
Geoff

RomanN.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:47:08 pm »

55 roddy and 35 xl schneider are total different cases.
The 55 mm Apo Sironar Digital ( absolutly no matter if green or purpure strip) is the classic Apo Grandagon. 8 elements, 110° , a great lens. They both are physicaly the same lenses, Rodenstock calibrate the "digital " labeled lenses better for digital use, the filter in front of the digi chip will be incudet in the calibration. In praxis I cant see any differance, I own both.
The Apo Digitar 35 xl only exist as a "digital" lens. the lens have smaller, traditional 100° image circle, but it is indeed a Super Angulon- Biogon design- same as Super Angulon 47 mm /digitar 47 mm.
Both lenses are still made, there is no other folmular.
maybe interesting to know: Schneider made first a Digitar 35 mm L with much smaller image circle. 88° (70 mm image circle). than thay replace the lens, becouse the chip size changes from 24x36mm to bigger 37x48 mm. therefore bigger image circle was needed.
I use the 55 also with 80 mln back and it is still OK. My Digarons W 32 and 40 are sharper but he 55 is still a good lens and have best performace- price value.
The 35 xl would be still great for 80 mln back, it is vary sharp but have too big problem with the CC, that cant be corrected in the software. The problem is that 80 mln back have microlenses. With 60 mln back both lenses will work great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up