Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AU$ and importing Z3100 from US  (Read 4214 times)

sceptacon

AU$ and importing Z3100 from US
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:47:10 am »

I am thinking to buy the printer from a U.S shop and bring over to Australia. my brother used to do this with car stereo decks and subaru turbos over ebay and went alright for a while but stopped for some reason and he said that if the printer is made in the US and not Japan it is not subject to import duty for me if I import it to Australia. I am simply talking about one printer for my own (artistic) use and not to resell to other people unlike my brother who did it for selling. Australia has a free trade agreement with US and any item made in US and purchased by us from there and shipped here is not charged import duty. so if the Z is made in Japan I am having to pay the duty and am wondering if the printer is a) subject to import duty ie can I get a US made one), and ( are these costs of import usually worth it .. am I 1) better off buying from US and 2) who is a reliable vendor I can trust and what kind of shipping am I up for also. The aus prices are much higher for Z conversion rate notwithstanding so this is my reason for interest to import. not to mention I have a hard time trying to locate a local australian supplier for the machine on the net - even the HP page leads me to a page not found website in relation to buying from their recommended suppliers. the AUstralian dollar is good now about 90c so at least there I am looking good but the other coats and pitfalls I am not experienced with importing such a device. can I hope to get past customs for one-off purchase like this and avoid import duty for example or would I get penalty imposed

jturner

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:13 am »

There's nothing mystical about importing goods into Australia. Over a certain (small) limit, customs will charge you 10% GST on the Australian dollar value of the imported item, even if it's for personal use and not for re-sale. And as far as I know, the application of GST on import has nothing to do with where the item was originally manufactured.

It can be worth the effort for some goods, such as film and lenses that have a high value but a small size and/or weight for their price (and hence low shipping cost for their value). You may find though that with the GST and the shipping cost your savings will be minimal compared to buying a big printer like the Z3100 in Australia.

If you want answers straight from the horses mouth, you should contact Customs directly....they will give you the answers you are looking for.

Hope this helps......

Cheers
Jeremy

David Budd

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:29:10 am »

I looked at importing a Z3100 44 inch from the US. The shippng cost was going to be in the region of USD$1500, and that was without transit insurance, which was another USD500-800.

Australian GST would also apply at 10% of the total price, including the freight charges, plus 5% import duty... and its not negotiable on any imported goods over the value $1000

HP  Australia made in quite clear that if I did import the Z3100 they would not cover it in the event of a warranty claim.

After doing the sums and looking at the risks involved the saving of around AUS$2000 wasn't worth it.

I decided to purchase my z3110 locally as I done with a previous HP printer, the 130NR. through
a HP authorized dealer called Artref in Perth.

That way you build a re-pore with the dealer and of course you have the HP warranty. May cost you a few more dollars...but worth it if for peace of mind if something does go wrong.

claskin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:17:16 am »

I am thinking to buy the printer from a U.S shop and bring over to Australia. my brother used to do this with car stereo decks and subaru turbos over ebay and went alright for a while but stopped for some reason and he said that if the printer is made in the US and not Japan it is not subject to import duty for me if I import it to Australia.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I may be wrong but I think the z3100 is made in Spain. Check with someone like Neil Snape regarding the printer's origin of manufacturing. I am fairly certain the printer was developed in Spain and I thought it was also made in Spain.
Carl
Carl Laskin

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:05 pm »

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:15:08 am »

I may be wrong but I think the z3100 is made in Spain. Check with someone like Neil Snape regarding the printer's origin of manufacturing. I am fairly certain the printer was developed in Spain and I thought it was also made in Spain.
Carl
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If I remember right, the crate/box mine came in said "Made in Singapore". I think the designers are in Spain.
- Doug

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:52:08 pm »

If I remember right, the crate/box mine came in said "Made in Singapore". I think the designers are in Spain.
- Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rather assembled in Singapore and or in Malaysia, developed in Spain, and the US. Some of the parts are indeed from Japan, yet logic boards etc can be from a wide variety of sources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up