Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFB Software  (Read 4134 times)

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
MFB Software
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:06:23 pm »

I'm  coming round to the fact I think a MFB would be a good idea for me.
The area they all fall down on is software, not the stuff to get a decent image produced to a tiff or jpg. The bit that comes after that, the fileing and storing then retreiving. In short the DAM side, I use Aperture and have found it to be brilliant for managing clients their files and jobs, plus supply of library images on request. Leaf is the only MFB that works with Aperture, I can't see any other intergrated solution for MFB raw files from other makers.
 They all seam halfhearted solutions, still thinking in terms we did when shooting film, when you had an enlarger and darkroom to print and a fileing cabinet to store the film. They all look to have a very blinkered view on what could be achieved and what a photographer might need, wether they shoot portraits, fashion, buildings or animals. Being able to handle all your clients and their images from one point is so much easier. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets asked for low res straight away and disk in the post. being able to crop and correct once then hit the button for low res images to be emailed, then another button to output hi-res tiff saves a lot of time for me.
Having a folder for a customer and sub folders for their various jobs all in  one program is so easy, being able to search by date and/or keyword in the program you convert from is a must for me.
So if you use a Phaseone, Imacon or Sinar how do you archive your library in an easy intergrated way.

Kevin.

Graham Mitchell

MFB Software
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:51:33 pm »

The next release of Sinar's software (called eXposure) will introduce DNG as the standard file format and then you will be free to use Aperture, afaik.

jimgolden

• http://
MFB Software
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »

tethered into Lightroom is a dream, IMHO...I use mostly Canon

should work w/ Leaf?!?

works w/ ZD...

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
MFB Software
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:31:47 pm »

tethered into Lightroom is a dream, IMHO...I use mostly Canon

should work w/ Leaf?!?

works w/ ZD...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I agree & since it is an Adobe product LR has the R&D to move into tethered. I am hoping that LR becomes a one stop shop whee if you are shooting Canon, Nikon,Leaf,HB,Sinar,Phase,ZD......ect, it is just plug & play. What I like about LR is the library & editing. Mabe we should email LR and say we want TETHERED. I sure hope some of the employees at LR are on the LL form?
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

godtfred

MFB Software
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:45:18 pm »

...how do you archive your library in an easy intergrated way.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150261\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hasselblad (Imacon, as you and many others still call it) has problems with existing dam applications, because their technology is more advanced on the software side of the RAW file. Hasselblad provides DAC lens correction functionality and other software related functions (I'm no expert, but this is what I'm told) that makes the RAW conversion in ACR/Lightroom/Aperture less than perfect.

They do provide you with .dng export functionality, making files accessible by ACR, Lightroom and some other software, but the conversions are not up to par (at least not in my tests.) Conversions from Flexcolor have better noise suppression, better clarity as well as better color. This makes for an impossible DAM situation, if you want the best from your hassy files. Running a double software setup is the only solution at the moment, but phocus may change that (although I don't think it will.)

The solution for me then is a neat and tidy folder structure, based on "client/project name + abbreviated date" with two folders inside, one for RAW images, and one for edited. Using bridge from adobe then lets me view everything (also hassy files), but i have to open flexcolor for the conversions (if you touch anything at all in bridge that has to do with the hassy files other than viewing them, they become corrupt, at least they did so the last time I tried...).

-axel
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:46:33 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
MFB Software
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:18:17 pm »

Hi
In short I would like to shoot into LR. For processing I still use RD or what is best for your purposes.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

TechTalk

MFB Software
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:41 pm »

Hasselblad (Imacon, as you and many others still call it) has problems with existing dam applications, because their technology is more advanced on the software side of the RAW file. Hasselblad provides DAC lens correction functionality and other software related functions (I'm no expert, but this is what I'm told) that makes the RAW conversion in ACR/Lightroom/Aperture less than perfect.

They do provide you with .dng export functionality, making files accessible by ACR, Lightroom and some other software, but the conversions are not up to par (at least not in my tests.) Conversions from Flexcolor have better noise suppression, better clarity as well as better color. This makes for an impossible DAM situation, if you want the best from your hassy files. Running a double software setup is the only solution at the moment, but phocus may change that (although I don't think it will.)

The solution for me then is a neat and tidy folder structure, based on "client/project name + abbreviated date" with two folders inside, one for RAW images, and one for edited. Using bridge from adobe then lets me view everything (also hassy files), but i have to open flexcolor for the conversions (if you touch anything at all in bridge that has to do with the hassy files other than viewing them, they become corrupt, at least they did so the last time I tried...).

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are absolutely correct. The DNG format needs to be expanded to accept and include the kind of unique RAW data (such as DAC) that manufacturers generate in their proprietary files. Hopefully, Adobe will modify the DNG format in the future to make that possible.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

David WM

MFB Software
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:57:33 pm »

I'm  coming round to the fact I think a MFB would be a good idea for me.
Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150261\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
... was that a fact or an opinion?    (need to see other thread re joke)

but, more seriously, I think to get good advice you might mention the sort of work you do. For instance, I find that when shooting in studio tethered my demands of software are different to a location shoot where I tend to have much greater processing volume. Also, how frequently to you need to access your images, do you retrieve and sell images on an ongoing basis or simply shoot deliver, archive and then only access infrequently?

David
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:58:45 pm by David WM »

Mike W

MFB Software
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:14:16 am »

Personally, I find shooting tethered a burden.

I used to do it at school all the time since we don't have a back with cf-card slots. So now I use a canon mark II and load the files onto the computer after the shoot. I only take this approach when working with people though, when doing product shots, I still shoot tethered.

the mark II-approach takes the dual software out of the picture...although I agree that the backmakers apps are quite essential when using a DB.

I hope these software packages will play nicer with lightroom and apenture in the future. Or that apple and adobe wise up and offer better integration with backs. But I guess that's not a matter of will, but licences.

And kudos to Sinar for the dng suppport. Come on people, let's put together a standard! It will benefit all (but mostly us, photograpers)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 08:15:35 am by Mike W »

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
MFB Software
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 10:54:47 am »

First off 90% of what I shoot is aerial, a trip could easily involve 4 or more different clients, I also run an image library, this is where Aperture scores over everything else I have tried.
I would hate to give up Aperture
 DNG is a bad joke in Aperture, although it recognises DNG, it can only convert Dng files from cameras it can convert the raw files from.
LR I find a bit light on the DAM side of things and I'm so far into an Aperture workflow of organising jobs and archiving the library a change would be a very big step to make, especialy as it would be a backward step on the DAM side. I'm surprised Phase and the like don't think further than turning a raw into a tiff or jpg, users must want to organise, retrive, search, ftp, email, burn to disc, backup, group etc like the rest of us and not just after the shoot, but 6months or 10 years in the future as well. As it stands Leaf is the only choice as it does work with Aperture, non of the others work with anything as powerfull.

Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up