Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wi-Fi SD Memory Card  (Read 2180 times)

Gabe

Wi-Fi SD Memory Card
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:57:33 pm »

I just became aware of a very interesting new product, and was wondering if anyone here has heard of it (or even better - used it)?

It's called Eye-Fi, and is a 2GB SD memory card with integrated Wi-Fi functionality:

http://www.eye.fi/

According to the webpage, this effectively gives any compatible camera the ability to transfer files via Wi-Fi rather than the standard USB cable.

One interesting feature is that in addition to automatic wireless downloads to your computer, you can configure the card to automatically upload new photos to a wide range of blogging/social networking/photo-sharing websites as soon as the camera connects to your network.. I'm not sure if you can set this up to work at public hotspots, but it presents some interesting possibilities none the less..

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to the rest of you.

Besides... I'm a sucker for this kind of new technology, and was hoping to get some user reports from the folks here before I pull out the credit card

EDIT - I should mention that the Flash-demo on that page might make your eyeballs bleed... consider yourselves warned  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:59:22 pm by Gabe »

francois

Wi-Fi SD Memory Card
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »

I just became aware of a very interesting new product, and was wondering if anyone here has heard of it (or even better - used it)?

It's called Eye-Fi, and is a 2GB SD memory card with integrated Wi-Fi functionality:

http://www.eye.fi/

According to the webpage, this effectively gives any compatible camera the ability to transfer files via Wi-Fi rather than the standard USB cable.

One interesting feature is that in addition to automatic wireless downloads to your computer, you can configure the card to automatically upload new photos to a wide range of blogging/social networking/photo-sharing websites as soon as the camera connects to your network.. I'm not sure if you can set this up to work at public hotspots, but it presents some interesting possibilities none the less..

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to the rest of you.

Besides... I'm a sucker for this kind of new technology, and was hoping to get some user reports from the folks here before I pull out the credit card
EDIT - I should mention that the Flash-demo on that page might make your eyeballs bleed... consider yourselves warned 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Read [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20585&hl=wifi]this[/url] thread...
Francois

Gabe

Wi-Fi SD Memory Card
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Thanks, Francois -- I guess I'm late to the party as usual (although it looks like no one's coming to this one   )

What's weird is that I did a search before I posted to see if it had already been mentioned and got nothing... I guess I need  more practise using the searching machine..

It's a shame that the card doesn't support WiFi transfers of any filetype other than JPEG though.. I can see why that would be the case for uploads destined for online services, but you'd think that they could easily allow any data to be moved off the card when transferring to a computer.  

Oh well.. I think I'm going to be picking one of these up anyway for use in my G7, so I'll report back if/when I do.

francois

Wi-Fi SD Memory Card
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:08:56 pm »

....Oh well.. I think I'm going to be picking one of these up anyway for use in my G7, so I'll report back if/when I do.
Let us know how it works, I'm always curious!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up