Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Updated but cannon print from Photoshop CS3  (Read 8726 times)

Mary K

Z3100 Updated but cannon print from Photoshop CS3
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:43:12 pm »

I have successfully installed the firmware, driver and HP printer utility, but now I can't print from Photoshop CS3.  

I installed all of the above, and profiled/calibrated several of my papers.  Everything went fine up to then.  I opened an image in Photoshop CS3, prepared it for printing, and selected print.  I got an error message that said:

Photoshop.exe Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred
          in the application at location 0x78138a8c.

Click OK to terminate the program.

I have tried restarting CS3 and rebooting my computer (PC running Windows XP).  

One thing to note is that I am able get to different stages when I select "Print" in CS3.  Sometimes I get the error message immediately.  Sometimes I am able to set up the print preferences before the error message pops up.

I am able to print with the Z3100 from Adobe Lightroom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mary
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:44:36 pm by Mary K »
Mary Konchar

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:22:08 pm »

Mary, is the Z your default printer?  If so, try picking another printer as the default and see if the problem persists.

Side note:  are you up to date with all the CS3 fixes?
Regards,
Ron

Mary K

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »

My Z3100 was the default printer.  I changed that to my Epson 2200, and was able to print on the 2200.  I then tried to print to the Z300, but Photoshop CS3 had to shutdown again.  I am noticing some other strange behavior in Photoshop -- for example, I cannot crop an image.  Don't know if I should reinstall photoshop, or the print driver for the Z300.
Mary Konchar

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:57:13 pm »

My Z3100 was the default printer.  I changed that to my Epson 2200, and was able to print on the 2200.  I then tried to print to the Z300, but Photoshop CS3 had to shutdown again.  I am noticing some other strange behavior in Photoshop -- for example, I cannot crop an image.  Don't know if I should reinstall photoshop, or the print driver for the Z300.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try removing your photoshop preferences file to the trash, restart your computer, and launch photoshop again. This fixes most photoshop bad behavior most of the time. Be sure to reset your preferences for scratch disks and such.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

Mary K

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:56:09 pm »

I removed Photoshop Preferences to the trash, but that didn't help.  

I am connected directly to the printer via USB, and I have profiled and calibrated several papers using the new HP Printer Utility.  All my papers have synchronized, and I have printed a test page from the Printers and Faxes menu.  I have also printed to this printer through Microsoft Word and Adobe Lightroom.

I guess my next move will be calling HP Tech Support -- I thought the upgrade was going so well until I tried to actually make a print!

Mary
Mary Konchar

Harris

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:34 pm »

Had the same problem yesterday - spent three hours on the phone with a rep from HP and could not resolve the situation - spent the rest of the day trying everything without success - then my IP man downloaded software on another computer and burned a disk and we tried that without success.  He then downloaded the software from the Spanish HP site, installed it and resolved the problem - the HP software from the USA site had became corrupted.  And the rep from HP did not know of the problem or if he did was not allowed to communicate it to me.  Cost me an entire day but fortunately my man Ira was able to resolve the problem.

alanmcf

• http://
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:40:43 pm »

I just installed 6.0.0.8... and was about to install the new Z3100 vanilla raster driver... but with this second report that it blew CS3 which is my version... I am stopping my updating for this evening!

I would appreciate any comments both on the printing from CS3 (meaning is it working for some of you?), and/or is there a problem if I use the new firmware with the old driver.

Thanks, Alan

BTW, I started to install the driver but it stopped after saying something about not being able to overwrite a profile, I answered "OK" which aborted something, then it asked (as if the unpacking had completed) if I wanted to do the install. When I try loading the driver again I will reboot before I start the process.

Mary K

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:07:18 pm »

I was busy this morning, so I wasn't able to get back to my Z3100 printer problem until this afternoon. This is what I did:

1. I uninstalled the printer, drivers and the HP Printer Utility.

2. I re-downloaded the driver, and (after shutting down all programs and disabling virus protection) reinstalled the printer.

3. I printed two images to the Z3100 from Photoshop CS3 -- no problems!

4. I then downloaded and installed the HP Printer Utility.

5. I updated (Synchronized) the papers via the Printer Utility.

6. I printed another image to the Z3100 without incident.

I think the problem is resolved.
Mary Konchar

DotCom Editor

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:49:42 pm »

Now my Z3100 (24") is completely screwed up.

Here's what I did:
1. Removed both CS2 and CS3 beta; installed a full (not an upgrade) of CS3 (Windows XP).
2. Installed firmware TR12-TR_06_00_00-8, which was later removed from the HP Web site and replaced with 00-7. I have not downloaded 00-7, which HP curiously posted AFTER removing 00-8.
3. Installed the new driver. The auto install failed ("access denied" error message), so I had to do the manual install version.

Now when I print, images are coming out about 50% smaller than they should be (5" x 19" test strip is printing only 2.5" high) and nothing is centered. A full-size 13" x 19" image, which I attempted to print centered on an 18" x 24" page from a 24"-wide roll (which I do very often), is cutting off most of the image, pushing it to the lower right portion of the page, and spitting out excess paper.

Also, today it took me a half-dozen attempts to load a roll of paper. That has never happened before. Perhaps the problem lies with the 00-8 firmware.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper at these media and ink prices. Before I give up and download Qimage (I've been avoiding the chore of learning yet another piece of software), does anyone have a suggestion short of filling the printer with a couple of rounds of buckshot?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:50:32 pm by DotCom Editor »

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:51:02 pm »

Is this the base 24" Z3100?  Meaning, its not a Z3100ps GP model.  There's a different firmware for that machine I think.

You've loaded the new driver and printer utility?

Have you successfully created new paper sizes?

Have you synch paper types between printer and PC?
Regards,
Ron

DotCom Editor

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:34:02 pm »

Thanks for your response. Hopefully, I'm providing enough information.

It's the base Z3100, no GP, no APS; running under up-to-date Win XP. The 06_00_00-8_mvl31-x86-opt_B firmware was loaded successfully. The new driver was loaded successfully using the manual installation method. No need to create new paper sizes, as I've had all my favorite sizes defined for months used problem-free with CS2 and the previous driver and firmware. Paper types have been re-synced via the new HP Printer Utility more than once. For good measure, I've re-calibrated my two favorite papers. Everything was fine until I installed CS3 (updates applied), the new driver, and the new firmware.

The only reason I did the manual driver install procedure was the "access denied" error returned every time I tried the normal auto-install version. It's my guess that this is either a CS3 or driver problem and not the firmware. If I can provide any additional details, let me know. I appreciate you devoting some brain cycles to this very aggravating problem.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:38:57 pm »

There are known issues trying to print from CS3. The print preview never works. Most users finally gave up and use CS2 or Qimage to print with.

This is not just a HP issue. Epson and Canon users have issues as well. My understanding is that Adobe is currently working on fixing the printing on CS3.

Good luck,
Jim
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:11:04 pm by Jim Cole »
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

alanmcf

• http://
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 07:04:01 pm »

I have been using CS3 for some time now with a base Z3100. I recently installed .08 (the same download as below), and manually installed the driver. I then had a problem with images not centering and being enlarged and one elongated. A reboot seemed to fix it, though I have only made a few prints since.

My two cents worth: The firmware install must be OK. If you can print from other applications I would think the driver is OK. Then I would just reinstall CS3. And if that did not work I would manually reinstall the driver. What a pain.

Alan

Thanks for your response. Hopefully, I'm providing enough information.

It's the base Z3100, no GP, no APS; running under up-to-date Win XP. The 06_00_00-8_mvl31-x86-opt_B firmware was loaded successfully. ...

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 08:43:16 pm »

The only reason I did the manual driver install procedure was the "access denied" error returned every time I tried the normal auto-install version. It's my guess that this is either a CS3 or driver problem and not the firmware. If I can provide any additional details, let me know. I appreciate you devoting some brain cycles to this very aggravating problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm concerned with the "access denied" error.  That generally means you're not running under admin privileges or there's a file lock.  

I recently had some funky behavior and did an uninstall of the driver and then installed again.   The uninstall didn't clean up the directories (folders) created by the install.  I manually deleted directories although right now I can't recall the path.  The install went fine after that.

It may also be funky CS3 behavior.  While printing from CS3 is only marginally better than a sharp stick in the eye I don't think it should do this.  Uninstalling CS3 also doesn't get rid of the preferences files.  You have to delete those manually as well.  In case you're contemplating installing CS3 again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:44:15 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Mary K

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 09:24:54 pm »

Now my Z3100 (24") is completely screwed up.

Here's what I did:
1. Removed both CS2 and CS3 beta; installed a full (not an upgrade) of CS3 (Windows XP).
2. Installed firmware TR12-TR_06_00_00-8, which was later removed from the HP Web site and replaced with 00-7. I have not downloaded 00-7, which HP curiously posted AFTER removing 00-8.
3. Installed the new driver. The auto install failed ("access denied" error message), so I had to do the manual install version.

Now when I print, images are coming out about 50% smaller than they should be (5" x 19" test strip is printing only 2.5" high) and nothing is centered. A full-size 13" x 19" image, which I attempted to print centered on an 18" x 24" page from a 24"-wide roll (which I do very often), is cutting off most of the image, pushing it to the lower right portion of the page, and spitting out excess paper.

Also, today it took me a half-dozen attempts to load a roll of paper. That has never happened before. Perhaps the problem lies with the 00-8 firmware.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper at these media and ink prices. Before I give up and download Qimage (I've been avoiding the chore of learning yet another piece of software), does anyone have a suggestion short of filling the printer with a couple of rounds of buckshot?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I talked to HP Tech Support about the printing issue on Monday -- it is a known issue, and they said that they are working on fixing it.  I am running PS CS3 on a Windows XP PC.  This is what they told me to do, and it has worked so far:

Go to Control Panel > Printers & Other Hardware > View Installed Printers or Faxes.  Right click on your printer & select Properties.  Click on Advanced, then select "Print Directly to Printer".  Apply and close.

The problem with doing this is that you will no longer be able to see the Print Preview before actually sending the print.

I haven't had any problems with loading paper since I upgraded the firmware and driver.

Mary
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1]   Go Up