Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: medium format 6x8 camera  (Read 14832 times)

Mike W

medium format 6x8 camera
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:49:46 pm »

Hi everyone,

After filling my head with every posible bit of intel on the state of the medium format market and my intent to buy a canon 5D markII (or whatever it will be called), I experienced the fantastic fuji 680gx III at school.

I never used it, since it was to big (well, huge) for my taste....it attracts way to much attention when I'm photographing. Wich I hate, since people never seem to be able to let me work in peace.

Anyhoo, does anyone know if there is an 6x8 medium format camera wich is relatively small (wich is difficult, I know) but more importantly...fully mechanical.

I want this camera for a trip around the continent, so it needs to hold up during the duration.

thanks

Mike

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:52:08 pm »

Get 6x17 camera - that is much more portable

mattlap2

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:11 pm »

Hi everyone,

After filling my head with every posible bit of intel on the state of the medium format market and my intent to buy a canon 5D markII (or whatever it will be called), I experienced the fantastic fuji 680gx III at school.

I never used it, since it was to big (well, huge) for my taste....it attracts way to much attention when I'm photographing. Wich I hate, since people never seem to be able to let me work in peace.

Anyhoo, does anyone know if there is an 6x8 medium format camera wich is relatively small (wich is difficult, I know) but more importantly...fully mechanical.

I want this camera for a trip around the continent, so it needs to hold up during the duration.

thanks

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike,

The Fuji GX680 has been discontinued for a number of years ago.    In addition to the GX680 system, Fuji also sold a line of rangefinder cameras in both 6x7 and 6x9 formats.   Much smaller and easier to carry, but lacked interchangeable lenses.   The 6x9 was sold in 2 models.   The GW had a 90mm Lens, and the GSW had a 65mm lens.   They are purely film cameras and digital is not an option.

They do appear from time to time on Ebay and the used market.  

Matt

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:58:11 pm »

Hi everyone,

thanks

Mike

Sorry, no advice on a 6x8 for you.  But yesterday a friend of mine brought over his Mamiya 7 II rangefinder...  Downright *tiny* for the film size it shoots (6x7)--about the size of a 1Ds.  Super quiet with no mirror--sorry it's not 6x8, but it might be close enough to work for you for travel photography.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:41 pm »

I have a pair of the Fuji 6x9 rangefinders, one with the 90mm lens, and one with the 65. They are about as compact as you might expect for that large negative. The bodies themselves are Spartan, but the lenses are wonderful. Basically a great lens with a mediocre body attached. No "B" mode, only T-mode. Decent rangefinder. 2-stroke film advance. They are less than $1000US when you can find them used.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

heinrichvoelkel

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:55:58 pm »

I would say the Mamiya 7 is the way to go....perfect 43mm and 50 mm lenses available fot it and the 80...normal lens...is quite close to perfect as well...

if you really want to shoot using 6x8....there was afuji 680 rangefinder....sme as mentioned above by others, but 6x8....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:56:46 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

Mike W

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:41:27 pm »

Everyone, thanks for the replies, but I'm specifically looking for a 6x8 format (the 4:3 ratio is a personal preference)

The fuji 680 rangefinder is something I'll be looking for. If I can't find it; I'll go for the 6x9.
If anyone has any intel on this camara please post :-)

thanks!

Mike

I would say the Mamiya 7 is the way to go....perfect 43mm and 50 mm lenses available fot it and the 80...normal lens...is quite close to perfect as well...

if you really want to shoot using 6x8....there was afuji 680 rangefinder....sme as mentioned above by others, but 6x8....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 03:42:20 pm »

Mike, I looked at all the main brands for a long time, the fuji 6x9 is great but I finally went with the horseman 612, the 2:1 aspect radio works for me and it's a really light & compact camera for the size neg it delivers. The Rodenstock 55mm lens is superb too.

-Nik

Hi everyone,

thanks

Mike

schaubild

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 01:35:34 am »

The Alpas work with Mamiya RB 6x8 backs too. Maximum quality, but quite pricey.

http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products
http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products/backs_adapters

heinrichvoelkel

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 05:31:01 am »

Here is a link to some info on the Fuji 6x8 rangefinders :

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0080be

Hope you will find one on the the bay...

Regards
Heinrich

Graham Mitchell

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:42:54 am »

wrong forum

Mike W

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 05:52:30 am »

Hi Foto-Z,

I realise this is a DIGITAL Medium format forum, but I chose to post here for three reasons:

one: I regularly post in and read this part of the board, simply because of my intrest in DMF.

two: I know for a fact most of the posters here have long, extensive experience with film-based MF.

three: I only post in this part of the board, because it's the only part where you can ask about 6x8 film without ending up with a canon vs. nikon discussion.

I hope you are the only one who takes offense, and I apologise to all who do.

regards

Mike
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 05:52:52 am by Mike W »

Mike W

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 05:55:16 am »

Oh, and thanks to all for the very helpfull replies.

I think I'l go look for a RB with an 6x8 back (I didn't know they made those!). I think it will be easiest to find here in Belgium. Otherwise I'll go for the fuji rangefinder or the 6x9.

thanks again!

Mike

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 03:09:11 pm »

Hi Foto-Z,

I realise this is a DIGITAL Medium format forum, but I chose to post here for three reasons:

one: I regularly post in and read this part of the board, simply because of my intrest in DMF.

two: I know for a fact most of the posters here have long, extensive experience with film-based MF.

three: I only post in this part of the board, because it's the only part where you can ask about 6x8 film without ending up with a canon vs. nikon discussion.

I hope you are the only one who takes offense, and I apologise to all who do.

regards

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No offense from this quarter!

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 04:31:33 pm »

Oh, and thanks to all for the very helpfull replies.

I think I'l go look for a RB with an 6x8 back (I didn't know they made those!). I think it will be easiest to find here in Belgium. Otherwise I'll go for the fuji rangefinder or the 6x9.

thanks again!

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,

Most 68's may be pretty big to carry around the continent so if you're looking at a fuji 69 to crop don't forget you can also use a 67 and crop that to the 43 ratio you like..less film real estate than cropping the 69 but you may find the mamiya 7 or even plaubel makinas to be more to you liking in terms of size etc.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

narikin

medium format 6x8 camera
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 03:40:40 pm »

the 6x8 version of the Fuji rangefinder was only in Japan really, I mulled one over for awhile, as like you, I find it the perfect proportion. I'd keep a slow eye on EBay, if thats what you like. it will come up sooner or later, and I personally saw a couple of them.

I have of course the duty to point out that most MF digital backs are in a similar 3:4 ratio, and thats what decided it for me.

good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up