Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3100 ink price and availability in Canada  (Read 3327 times)

Avalan

3100 ink price and availability in Canada
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »

Hi all

This is a Canadian consumer report regarding the availability and the pricing of the 3100 inks. The situation is not relevant for other countries. At least it is not the same and is much better in the States. Canadian 3100 users may find it useful. This is the story :

3 weeks ago I ordered the yellow and the light gray inks which were going down. The only ink the local reseller had in their stock was the LG which was picked up for $78 and was told that the yellow will be in stock in couple of weeks. After following up last week, found out it has been some clerical mistake and it will take longer for the yellow ink.

Then contacted a US supplier and they refused selling because HP has banned them to sell the inks to the Canadian market. Then started to hunt for other suppliers in Vancouver.  None of the other 3 local suppliers had ANY ink available. Then contacted the HP Canada online store.

Me : Have got several questions for you. Looking for 3100 inks in Vancouver and have tried several places with no success. Looking for twin pack yellow ink for 3100 urgently and need the availability and pricing.

Rep: Twin packs are not available and single packs are $98 each.

Me : How come you don't have twin packs when you have advertised it in your Canadian website? Regardless of that, the twin packs are sold under $100 in the states and also I just got a single pack here in Vancouver for $78. What is the reason your prices are so high?

Rep : Inks are getting supplied from Spain and each country has it's own pricing. American prices are not available for Canadian consumers. Prices in Canada may vary and we can just deliver our own prices.

Me: I'm well aware of what you said. I could not get it from states because they are not permitted to sell to Canadians. Thanks. It is called monopoly. And the bottom line is  the twin pack of exact same ink - imported from Spain -can be bought under $100, and you are asking me $98 dollars for the single pack. Canadian dollar is a few cents higher than USD now.  So your prices are double the price that American user is paying. This is called double standard policy.
But lets forget about these issues for now. I need the yellow ink urgently and willing to pay the price and any extra express mailing fee to get it as fast as possible. Can you rush the ink by a fast courier and what is the fastest I can get ?

Rep : About 4 days. Earlier than that can not be guaranteed.

Sine sounded like a pony express courier , I did not order. but promised to write about the whole experiment in the net. And this is what you are reading. The  conversation was longer than this and the polite rep apologized for my inconvenience so many times. But the bottom line is this at the moment: 3100 twin packs are advertised but not available in HP Canada-online store,  the single packs are difficult to find and are unreasonably expensive. The HP Canada online store is the last resort you may wish to try.

After more digging I found another local reseller which had  just one full set of inks available for $87 each. It is all what was found in Vancouver !! The situation might be better in Toronto and Montreal.

Regards - Avalan

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:40:07 pm »

Avalan,

It sucks in Toronto, too.  However, I have found a good supplier for emergencies -- "The Drafting Clinic" -- (www.dccltd.ca) which carries single pack 70 series inks in stock at fair prices.  Fair, that is, considering they actually stock it and you can go down there and take some home.  They don't stock twin-packs.

You *can* get twin-packs.  What you must do is order them from a drop shipper like (ca.buy.com).  They may claim they're in stock, but they are lying.  Just put the order in anyway and be very, very patient.  I had given up hope only to have a couple of twin packs show up on my doorstep.  Since the twins are about $100-$110, it's worth ordering in advance of need so you don't pay emergency prices of $70-$90 for a single.

I'm getting low on Red myself so I'll need to pick up a single, but will be placing an order for doubles of GN, B, M and MK as they're down below 40%.

The canadian market sucks, yep, it sure does.  If my interest wasn't photography and print-making, I figure I could make a killing as a simple reseller who actually stocked things and sold them at reasonable prices.  As it is, we have a bunch of predatory bastards and a small handful of tolerable stocking suppliers.  I like the Drafting Clinic, personally -- they mostly sell to large corporations and you must deal with a personal account rep -- but the service is excellent and they treat even little guys like me as if they might someday be putting in huge weekly orders (you never know...).

I got my Z through the local university's supply department, and paid over a thousand dollars less than even the cheapest sketchy online merchant.

-s
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:42:39 pm by SeanPuckett »

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:49:02 pm »

Avalan,

I bought my 3100 online.  The local reps here in the lower mainland weren't very forthcoming when I was ready to buy so I went to www.directdial.com  I have no connection with them other than being a happy customer.  They show that they stock the twin pack cartridges...in their Richmond warehouse.   In fact, their prices are cheaper than what a friend of mine in the US can get...and he's a dealer.

You may want to give them a call, the rep I dealt with, Dan was very good when I ordered my printer.  His number is: 1-866-807-9832 x229

Good luck!

Stewart

p.s.  HP Canada has extended their trade in program for their new Designjets.

Avalan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:01:56 pm »

Sean,  Stewart

Thanks for replies.

I will add the info and contacts to the supplier list.

Best regards - Avalan

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:14:57 pm »

Is there anything to prevent one in the U.S. from shipping carts to you in Canada? If not, you just need a friend in the U.S.

Avalan

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 03:11:19 pm »

Roscolo

You are correct and it is technically possible to buy the ink from the US by a friend and get it imported to Canada. The problem is you may not feel to ask a friend to do it and create some unnecessary task for a friend to save some bucks. Also it is not a fast process if you need it urgently. For now I have got extra inks for any ink which is showing half full and will keep this practice.

The other intention I have here, is magnifying this problem to force the HP Canada to change its bad business habits. All Canadian users will benefit from this.

Avalan

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:39:06 pm »

Based on pricing from Direct Dial and my friend in the US, it's presently easier to get it form Direct Dial.  I was told that if it's in stock, you get the item in 2 days, or if not, then 7-10.

Stewart

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:46:25 am »

I bought my printer and am getting the inks from Directdial as well. So far so good. The light grey twin pack came right away and the clear gloss took 10 days or so. Prices seem pretty good. The only problem I have is that they don't know much about what they are selling, but haven't had any problems to speak of.

David Budd

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 01:44:31 am »

Quote from: Avalan,Nov 2 2007, 02:51 AM
Hi all

This is a Canadian consumer report regarding the availability and the pricing of the 3100 inks. The situation is not relevant for other countries. At least it is not the same and is much better in the States. Canadian 3100 users may find it useful. This is the story :

Avalan

If you think your prices are a bit rugged in Canada when it comes z3100 inks in Perth, Western Australia I pay $179.50 for a twin pack of LtGray.

Our dollar against the USD is currently worth 92 cents.

So much for the lip service to global pricing

David

David Budd

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 02:00:45 am »

Avalan

www.bhphotovideo.com will ship twin packs USD 99.95 to Canada and Australia

Could be the way to go.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up