Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma EF 530 DG Super  (Read 9250 times)

cowboy

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:40:37 am »

I am looking into purchasing a flash unit. A friend recommended the EF 530 super by Sigma. Does anyone have experience with this unit? I would be grateful for any info on this unit or any other info you feel would be useful. Cameras are XTI and 5D. I am looking for a general purpose flash that would give me room to grow as my experience increases.

DarkPenguin

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:09:22 am »

No help on that one.  But have you considered the canon 430ex?

Also, if you start to do off camera strobe stuff strobist.com is a great resource.

cowboy

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:13:38 pm »

Thank you DP. I have been reading on the Strobist site. The information there pumped me up to try and get into doing more work with lighting.
I haven't looked seriously at the 430EX. (I'm not sure what I should be looking at wrt functions). I have looked at the 580Ex. I was hoping to get started with a little less cost.

DarkPenguin

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:46:01 pm »

The 430 is pretty powerful and has manual controls.  It is a nice flash.  Can only be used as a slave in a two flash setup so that may or may not be a problem.

cowboy

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:50:07 am »

I expect if I go on to using multiple flashes the 580 is in my future. Nothing would be lost overall by going the Canon route. Thanks again.

myxamop

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:17:16 pm »

if you are looking of strobist stile off camera flash, both the Sigma & the 430 are way more than you need, something like the Vivitar (don't know the model number) or of the the nikon SB 24,26(&28?) are better for the buck.

if you want on camera flash or a flash on a flash bracket, the 430 is a great choice, also another option for ETTL is the EX550. It's a good alternative from the used market, its more powerful than the EX430 but could be had for the same price & it could serve as a master of the ETTL system for later unit additions.

hope you figure out what you want!

cowboy

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:58:19 pm »

if you are looking of strobist stile off camera flash, both the Sigma & the 430 are way more than you need, something like the Vivitar (don't know the model number) or of the the nikon SB 24,26(&28?) are better for the buck.

if you want on camera flash or a flash on a flash bracket, the 430 is a great choice, also another option for ETTL is the EX550. It's a good alternative from the used market, its more powerful than the EX430 but could be had for the same price & it could serve as a master of the ETTL system for later unit additions.

hope you figure out what you want!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for the info. I think I will settle for the 430 this go around. This forum is the best. I have received good feed back on every question asked. Thanks folks.

DarkPenguin

Sigma EF 530 DG Super
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 09:44:11 pm »

He's referring to the vivitar 285.  Mpex.com sells "strobist" kits that include the vivitar.  (I have such a kit in my living room slowly being dismembered by my cats.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up