Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing in Lightroom  (Read 4046 times)

Muizen

Printing in Lightroom
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:08:02 am »

I have been trying hard to find the best way of using the Print Module in LR
I now get prints that are still showing a little bit too much red compared with the photo on my monitor. I use Eye One Match Three for monitor calibration.

Hereafter I describe the way I tried, after many tests,  to achieve the best possible prints. Is there anything I could do to further improve my print quality (reducing the red)?

MY PRINTING WORKFLOW  USING LIGHTROOM
Canon MP800R

In LR go to Print Module >Print Settings >Properties:

Print Settings
Medium type: select: the paper quality you use:
Photo Paper Pro ór Glossy Photo Paper Extra
Print quality: check custom
Quality set slider to 1 for Photo Paper Pro or to 2 when you are using Glossy Photo Paper Extra
Half toning: click Diffusion
Color Adjustment (color intensity): Color Balance all slider set to 0; Color intensity set to 0; do not enable ICM; Print Type: none

Click OK, OK to go back to LR’s print module.

Page Setup
In LR print module click Page Setup and go via Properties to Canon’s Page Setup. (going to Page Setup in this manner seems to better program LR?)
Make adjustments for the paper format and paper type/quality etc. you are using.
Check borderless printing

Effects:
all boxes unchecked

LR Print Module
Make the following adjustments:
 ‘Zoom to fill frame’ (if required)
‘Auto-Rotate to fill
‘Repeat One Photo Per Page
‘Stroke border’ (if required)
‘un-check Print Resolution (yes indeed!)
‘Print Sharpening: ‘High’
‘Color Management’ select (via “other”) your printer profile’ or the Canon profile that fits the paper you are using:
Canon MP800 PR1 for Photo Paper Pro or Canon MP800 PR2 for Glossy Photo Paper Extra.

‘Rendering Intent’: ‘Perceptual’

Click Print…!

James R

Printing in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:22:01 am »

I now get prints that are still showing a little bit too much red compared with the photo on my monitor. I use Eye One Match Three for monitor calibration.

Hereafter I describe the way I tried, after many tests,  to achieve the best possible prints. Is there anything I could do to further improve my print quality (reducing the red)?

MY PRINTING WORKFLOW  USING LIGHTROOM
Canon MP800R

In LR go to Print Module >Print Settings >Properties:

Print Settings
Medium type: select: the paper quality you use:
Photo Paper Pro ór Glossy Photo Paper Extra
Print quality: check custom
Quality set slider to 1 for Photo Paper Pro or to 2 when you are using Glossy Photo Paper Extra
Half toning: click Diffusion
Color Adjustment (color intensity): Color Balance all slider set to 0; Color intensity set to 0; do not enable ICM; Print Type: none

Page Setup
In LR print module click Page Setup and go via Properties to Canon’s Page Setup. (going to Page Setup in this manner seems to better program LR?)
Make adjustments for the paper format and paper type/quality etc. you are using.
Check borderless printing

Effects:
all boxes unchecked

LR Print Module
Make the following adjustments:
 ‘Zoom to fill frame’ (if required)
‘Auto-Rotate to fill
‘Repeat One Photo Per Page
‘Stroke border’ (if required)
‘un-check Print Resolution (yes indeed!)
‘Print Sharpening: ‘High’
‘Color Management’ select (via “other”) your printer profile’ or the Canon profile that fits the paper you are using:
Canon MP800 PR1 for Photo Paper Pro or Canon MP800 PR2 for Glossy Photo Paper Extra.

‘Rendering Intent’: ‘Perceptual’

Click Print…!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't use a Canon printer; however, in your printer properties are you selecting Color Management: ICM and Off (No color adjustment)?  At least those are the important boxes using a PC.  You don't want the printer to manage the color.  That is LR's or CS3's job.

Muizen

Printing in Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:13:30 am »

I don't use a Canon printer; however, in your printer properties are you selecting Color Management: ICM and Off (No color adjustment)?  At least those are the important boxes using a PC.  You don't want the printer to manage the color.  That is LR's or CS3's job.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James:
Yes ICM is on "off" I should have mentioned this in my workflow.

KeithR

Printing in Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:11:01 pm »

Quote from: Muizen,Nov 1 2007, 03:08 AM

I found a link to an artical by Mikkel Aaland that you may want to look at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blo...e_and_co_2.html
It's a short read, but I would encourage you to pay attention to the part on intent rendering. The main point being that LR uses somthing close to ProPhoto RGB color space. Your printer probably is not capable of handling such a wide color space and your use of the intent you choose most likely caused colors to be clipped. In some situations, you may what to consider the relative intent. One of Lightrooms shortcomings at present, is the lack of soft proofing ability to see what you would actually get when you print.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Muizen

Printing in Lightroom
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »

Quote from: KeithR,Nov 2 2007, 12:11 AM
Quote from: Muizen,Nov 1 2007, 03:08 AM

I found a link to an artical by Mikkel Aaland that you may want to look at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blo...e_and_co_2.html
It's a short read, but I would encourage you to pay attention to the part on intent rendering. The main point being that LR uses somthing close to ProPhoto RGB color space. Your printer probably is not capable of handling such a wide color space and your use of the intent you choose most likely caused colors to be clipped. In some situations, you may what to consider the relative intent. One of Lightrooms shortcomings at present, is the lack of soft proofing ability to see what you would actually get when you print.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150123\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

KeithR
Thank you for your tip. I read the interesting article, which however is not clearly telling me what rendering intent to use. I continue using Perceptual now.

As far as my color problem is concerned I found a solution on another forum which is using the Canon MP800 SP2 profile which is present in LR's print module. This solve my color problem completely!
Pages: [1]   Go Up