Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask TechTalk..  (Read 2398 times)

H1/A75 Guy

Ask TechTalk..
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:07:07 pm »

Hey Tech,

I have a question that I'm sure has been addressed on this forum somewhere at least a million times. Can you give me the short version of any known advantage of a 9 micron photosite (as in A22) vs. a 7.2 micron photosite (as in A75) on a Dalsa sensor? I'm considering 'upgrading' to an AFi5 and perhaps not an AFi7. Is there any kind of trade-off with a larger photosite (Afi5) or am I just loosing the resolution (AFi7) with no other benefit? Thanks!

David

TechTalk

Ask TechTalk..
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:24:43 pm »

Hey Tech,

I have a question that I'm sure has been addressed on this forum somewhere at least a million times. Can you give me the short version of any known advantage of a 9 micron photosite (as in A22) vs. a 7.2 micron photosite (as in A75) on a Dalsa sensor? I'm considering 'upgrading' to an AFi5 and perhaps not an AFi7. Is there any kind of trade-off with a larger photosite (Afi5) or am I just loosing the resolution (AFi7) with no other benefit? Thanks!

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All factors being equal, a higher pixel pitch (larger photosite) would provide more data per pixel. The problem with that assumption is that the factors are never equal. Improvements in sensor design and support electronics have tended to offset or sometimes improve on the characteristics that would benefit from a larger data collection point.

Digital backs have moved from 4 to 6 to 16, 22 & 39MP maximum resolutions. I can't recall anyone wishing for the better image quality that they got from those older 15 micron (4MP) or 12 micron (6MP) backs.

I would choose the resolution that you need (or want), based on the budget that you have.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

H1/A75 Guy

Ask TechTalk..
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:18:15 am »

All factors being equal, a higher pixel pitch (larger photosite) would provide more data per pixel.

The problem with that assumption is that the factors are never equal.

I would choose the resolution that you need (or want), based on the budget that you have.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll take your advice. You have a very nice manner. Don't ever un-register from LL.

David

TechTalk

Ask TechTalk..
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:57:23 am »

I'll take your advice. You have a very nice manner. Don't ever un-register from LL.

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks David. Whatever you decide to buy, just test it thoroughly to make sure that you're satisfied before you lay down the money.

I've recently had the opportunity to try the Leaf Afi package and it is impressive. Leaf has a very long history with digital backs (in digital years) and their experience is being put to good use.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Ask TechTalk..
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:41:17 am »

Hey Tech,

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pluses and minuses.

In theory, smaller photosites produce more noise than larger photosites. But more resolution produces finer detail and minimizes single shot artifacts, like moire, etc. Smaller photosites require higher resolving lenses for the same level of sharpness.

Much of this is theoretical, however. The photosite is only one part of the equation, as Tech Talk alluded to. The software algorithm can (and does) compensate for the deficiencies of the actual sensor. And there can be other technical advances in the sensor itself as to how charges are handled that can alleviate issues that would normally be incurred form a smaller photosite.

And even lens resolving power can be a plus/minus issue. Say you have a 7.2 micron photosite vs a 9 micron photosite. A particular lens would render a sharper image on the 9 micron photosite. Especially as you stop down. However, smaller photosites are typically packaged into sensors that provide more of these photosites, which then yield more resolution, which then yields more detail and information, which may also compensate for the slight apparent and perceptual lack of sharpness compared to the larger photosites.

There is more to an image than sharpness (or perceived sharpness). Your particular application may dictate which sensor makes the most sense. And it is recommended that you push the envelope in testing both.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up