Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiling other printer using Z3100ps  (Read 3762 times)

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
Profiling other printer using Z3100ps
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:23:20 pm »

Hi,

I've been the happy owner of the HPz3100ps now for about a month.  Clients are happy as well.  I'm planning on doing a run of calendars that we use as a giveaway and I'm hoping to use my Canon i9900 printer.  Now, I'm going to be using 3rd party papers from a local supplier, matte stock most likely.  Can I create an ICC profile by printing the small target from APS to my Canon then having the HP scan it?

thanks for any input!

Stewart

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:58 pm »

It should be possible although I haven't tested it (yet).  I'm hoping you have 13x19 paper to profile with.
Regards,
Ron

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:14:19 pm »

And by sheer coincidence, that's what the size of the calendar!    Now to get my paper...will report back when I try it.

s.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:18:08 pm by scubastu »

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:19:06 pm »

Just got off the phone with HP tech support, they say that one cannot profile other printers/papers using APS.

stu

And by sheer coincidence, that's what the size of the calendar!    Now to get my paper...will report back when I try it.

s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »

Just got off the phone with HP tech support, they say that one cannot profile other printers/papers using APS.

stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To be honest, I haven't tried it yet myself, but thought that this was a part of the APS sales pitch and that I had read of others already doing exactly what you were wanting to do.  Hmmmmmm . . . .
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:36:52 pm »

stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Stu, did they give a reason why it couldn't be done?  What keeps us from doing it?
Regards,
Ron

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 04:49:21 pm »

They said their systems were uniquely integrated.  I left my puck at home when I profiled my laptop, will bring it tomorrow and try.  Without the puck, APS won't start.

Actually, I just remembered that I have the email address of the HP APS guy.    I'll ask him.

s.

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:07 am »

Stop the presses...or printers in this case!  The answer is a definitive YES that you can create a profile of your other RGB printers using the Z3100 and the APS.   One simply selects to profile a printer, then print the target the best fit's your other printer (in my case it was the RBG 1.5 target, load into the 3100 and let the APS software do it's thing. I did hit a snag thought when I first did the profile, the softproof came out all posterized, but I tried it again and now it looks great!

So there you go.  In this case, HP tech support was absolutely clueless, they didn't even know what APS was.

Sigh!

Stu

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 01:36:43 pm »

Thanks for confirming the capability, Stu.  That's the original story we had.  I think that Neil or Sean or Ernst had reported this capability early on.

The cluelessness of HPS tech support on APS isn't much of a surprise.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 02:55:38 am »

Thanks for confirming the capability, Stu.  That's the original story we had.  I think that Neil or Sean or Ernst had reported this capability early on.

The cluelessness of HPS tech support on APS isn't much of a surprise.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes profiling with APS on other printers was available early on in the program.

You could even trick the printer into reading a Print Center chart when you select read the chart later. IT would be linked to a default linearisation though so may not be the best option.
This may be so with APS too now that I think about it. I suppose that the chart printed could be simple raw printing and measuring, yet then it would assume more user choices upfront like paper type and linearisation for that paper type.

It is a lot easier now with the multiple sheet charts, albeit a bit slow due to their size, and manual loading. Yet this is other than the actual loading fully automated just like an IsIs or iO etc.

PS I was just sent another APS from HP thus proving it's availability issues to be resolved , or at least within HP.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:19 am »

PS I was just sent another APS from HP thus proving it's availability issues to be resolved , or at least within HP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Neil-
Would this be a new version that would be Leopard compatible?  XRite told me that they weren't expecting to see that completed until the end of the year.  
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:26:57 am »

I guess it would be pushing it to want to be able to use a target with more sampling points though?  The RGB 1.5 is (if I remember correctly) the same basic target the Z3100 uses, but the larger 900+ target won't fit on a 13x19 sheet.

s.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:29:37 pm »

I think it is a shipping version, so it's not a test version>thus probably no different than what you have now.

And no it is not possible to reduce the patch sizes. Well actually it is but it is not as stable , hence for user satisfaction the size of the patches is NOT going to change.

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:32:10 pm »

I guess it would be pushing it to want to be able to use a target with more sampling points though?  The RGB 1.5 is (if I remember correctly) the same basic target the Z3100 uses, but the larger 900+ target won't fit on a 13x19 sheet.

s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The TC9.18 target should print on two 13x19 sheets though.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up