Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Z3100 New Firmware/Drivers  (Read 2049 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
After Z3100 New Firmware/Drivers
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:31 pm »

Seems that none of these firmware/software updates affected color mixing (at least according to the release documentation).

Although HP generally says to re-calibrate and re-profile after a firmware update, does anyone really think it to be necessary this time? I just bought APS a couple of weeks ago and made new profiles and don't want to waste paper and ink if it is not necessary. However, I am always looking to produce the best prints possible.

If anyone out there has re-profiled since the firmware update, have you seen any visible or measureable diferences? I do not have the equipment necessary to make quantitative comparisons so I cannot do this on my own.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:27:04 am »

Seems that none of these firmware/software updates affected color mixing (at least according to the release documentation).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Jim, I am in exactly the same situation; The two line pdf that HP adds with the new printer driver is very shortcoming-( or did I miss something)

As I understand only media handeling is affected- but the printer asks me to recalibrate...?
It would be nice if HP would explain a bit more on what they have changed. ( and provide the fimware and driver at the same time)

Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:49:10 am »

HP may not have changed the color mixing but if they mucked about with the paper presets and how much ink got laid down then that might be enough of a reason to print targets and profile again.

I think Sean has taken a look at this issue with the latest firmware and perhaps he can weigh in with his thoughts.

I have re-calibrated but haven't re-profiled yet.  I've only printed one test print on Litho-Realistic but I don't see any glaring deficiencies.

I'm looking forward to reading the new version of the "Working with non-HP papers" tech newsletter that is referred to.  That may clear some of this confusion up when we compare it to previous releases.
Regards,
Ron

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:47:15 am »

I recalibrate and reprofile each media as I use it after installing the new firmware.  It's cheap insurance.  I don't notice any dramatic improvements in colour; that I don't notice any changes either is fine.  

I'm looking forward to the new paper document, also.  I'm totally baffled with all the new media possibilities and I really need to see that table of "what differs" in order to make non-time and non-media wasting decisions about how to work with them!

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:01:27 am »

Thanks for your insight and suggestion. It seems to be a good idea to wait for the updated HP Paper Types doc to see what to make of all these new choices before profiling again.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up