Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Z3100 v6 firmware, driver and print utility  (Read 6567 times)

rdonson

New Z3100 v6 firmware, driver and print utility
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:48:22 pm »

I just finished installing the latest firmware, driver and print utility.

base 24" Z3100
Windows XP Pro SP2
ethernet connection to the printer

I used the Printer Care facility to load the firmware.  After pressing the proper keys it took 13:45 for the printer to start initializing.  After 16:51 it was ready for printing.

Installed the new driver.  A reboot is required and installation resumes after the reboot.

Installed the printer utility without a hitch.

Updated the paper list.

Calibrated the paper.

Created a new paper size, 16 x24,  OK.

Printed using Qimage without a problem.

All in all a very smooth experience.  Kudos to HP.  They got it right for me.  No trick or treat tonight from HP.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:49:31 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:18 pm »

Ron,

I concur with the smooth install on all software and firmware on my standard 44" Z3100 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

I did, however, uninstall the printer, Easy Printer Care, Color Center and deleted all relevent HP folders from the Programs folder prior to the install.

All appears to be working as advertised except for the misleading statement in the Driver PDF which stated that one could no longer save custom paper types shorter than the paper is wide (discussed on another thread). I successfully saved a paper size 44 x 24".

I am a happy camper.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:50:53 pm »

Ops, the print utility refuses to install on my WinXP installation.
Should be something with user authorizations....

"Error 1402. Could not open key:
UNKNOWN\CAPICOM.Certificates.3\CLSID.
[attachment=3691:attachment]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 08:53:49 pm by ThomasK »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:21 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's probably something amiss with your Windows instance.  That's a digital certificate that I think should be part of the OS.  Not sure how to fix it.

[a href=\"http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375732.aspx]Click here for some info[/url]
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:07:30 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you have admin priviledges with your login?  A quick Google for the error indicates a permission problem with the registry.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:09:17 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Thomas Krüger

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:18:42 pm »

Do you have admin priviledges with your login? 

Yes, logged in as admin. Somebody suggested to change the autorizations with regedit on the capicom key. Let's try tomorrow morning....

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:37:26 pm »

Yes, logged in as admin. Somebody suggested to change the autorizations with regedit on the capicom key. Let's try tomorrow morning....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds like it should work.
Regards,
Ron

Thomas Krüger

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 03:21:44 am »

Install error with Print Utility: " Error 1402. Could not open key: "

Ok, problem resolved. The solution is here at
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...18803&x=11&y=16

1. Open the Windows registry.
2. Right-click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key, and then click Permission.
3. For each item in the Group or user names  list, click the item, click to select the Allow check box for Full Control, and then click Apply.
4. Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.

jpmulligan

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:51 am »

The support for Vista 64 seems to be working quite nicely with this release. I have posted  previously about running the old XP64 driver with Vista 64, but in the end I found it to be not all that swift so I ended up reverting back to the 'dual-boot' option and printing from WinXP SP2 (32 bit). Not really an optimal solution.

With this release, I used my installation on Win XP to update the firmware, then dual booted back to Vista 64 and removed all prior HP drivers and software artifacts, then did a fresh install with the updated software. I can now report that as far as I can tell, the native Vista support is robust and fully equivalent to the native WinXP version, although admittedly I have not installed the updated drivers back on my WinXP partition. I do not expect any surprises there, however. Just as an aside, the driver is a full 64-bit driver on Vista 64, however all the applications are installed as x86 (32-bit) apps, which seems to be the norm for software vendors at this point that are supporting 64 bit OS machines.

Regarding the viability of existing profiles, once I installed the new firmware, I just re-calibrated my paper and printed from QImage on Vista 64 using my existing profiles and found that the new prints seem to be pretty much identical, so it doesn't seem to be necessary to re-generate the profiles. I use a Spectroscan and PM5 to generate my profiles rather than the Z's built-in profiling, so I was curious as to whether I would need to spend the extra time required to get good prints. I will very likely go back and re-do the profiles as well, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason instigated by the firmware / software update. The necessity to re-profile may also be affected by the type of paper as well, but I only tested using HP Professional Satin.

So at this point, I am pretty happy with what I have seen. I was a bit disappointed to note that a couple of annoying problems still exist, but overall everything seems to work as would be expected. Even the synchronization of paper types between the printer and the driver now seems to work, which for me even under WinXP never seemed to fully work. I would always see a complaint in the driver regarding synchronization of paper types, but could never get rid of that message. Now, even in Vista 64 it seems to work correctly.

One final note: HP provides a website, www.designjet.com that is basically a less confusing and easier to navigate portal into the support pages for HP's DesignJet printers. You may want to give this a try if you haven't already.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:02:40 am »

One final note: HP provides a website, www.designjet.com that is basically a less confusing and easier to navigate portal into the support pages for HP's DesignJet printers. You may want to give this a try if you haven't already.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip.  designjet.com is a much better experience.
Regards,
Ron

casterle

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

Thanks for the tip.  designjet.com is a much better experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been using designjet.com since the git-go, and I think it's pretty poor too.

I don't understand why the don't have one page with *everything* (drivers, firmware, utilities, tech notes, manuals, etc) for each printer. The page should have a link  explaining what each file is for and why you'd want it, ie the link for the PS3 driver would explain why you'd want it vs the other drivers, etc. Each file should also have a date stamp (there's a place for this, but it's not always used).

They also need to get coordinated on their releases - the firmware, drivers and documentation should all be made available at the same time.

I know some (prehaps all) of you probably know these things from experience, but HP should make things easy for the least experienced user (that would be me!).

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:05:32 pm »

HP's websites leave a lot to be desired.  Its just that for the firmware, driver and printer utility designjet.com is an easier path.  Finding the Tech Notes/Newsletters, etc is still a hit and miss affair with HP shuttling you off between their websites while spending a lot of time trying to hook you up with a live chat session.  Just dumb for a printer of this nature.

These are some of the reasons I've spent time putting content in the wiki.  One stop shopping for info on this printer.
Regards,
Ron

Harris

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:58:33 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up