Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180  (Read 21944 times)

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
HP B9180
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 03:40:54 pm »

Mine is earning its keep and my clients are very happy with the images.
image examples are at my website  [url=h

conradfxt

HP B9180
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »

Using the B9180 for about a year with no problems and lots of happy friends and family members who get prints of themselves on 13x19. Standardized on HP Advanced paper but recently began to print on other types of paper - a real work in progress. Just ordered Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk from B&H because of Michael's review.   conrad

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
HP B9180
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:51:19 pm »

I'm pleased with results coming from mine; in particular - Hahnenmuhle's Photo Rag Pearl just "stops" me everytime.

drwillie

HP B9180
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 05:14:09 am »

Mine is earning its keep and my clients are very happy with the images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto!  I've had my b9180 for about a year, and I'd also like to see a 17" version, which I'd purchase at a moment's notice.

Rob C

HP B9180
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 02:22:28 pm »

Yes, that light grey does seem to vanish pretty rapidly; perhaps that´s because most of my work is b/w. So perhaps the rest of us also on that road need not worry too much... it´s what we do rather than what the machine drinks.

Rob C

gunnar1

HP B9180
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 02:44:10 pm »

Indeed the light gray does go first. I'm not sure I'd say the machine drinks it but still, it does go faster. Second in usage would be the light magenta for me. I just did another handful of prints this morning and am impressed yet again.

michael

HP B9180
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »

I have five different printers at my gallery, models from Epson, Canon and HP, mostly used for teaching and producing large exhibition prints. But the printer that I have at home is an HP9180 which has been chugging along without problem since it first came out, producing very fine results.

Michael

Rob C

HP B9180
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 01:02:35 pm »

I have five different printers at my gallery, models from Epson, Canon and HP, mostly used for teaching and producing large exhibition prints. But the printer that I have at home is an HP9180 which has been chugging along without problem since it first came out, producing very fine results.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael -

Do you do much black/white printing for yourself? I find myself so tickled with the quality I get from the HP that colour seems to be getting ever less attention.

I think I mentioned here, on LuLa, that I came across a plastic bag of A5 test prints the other day; it was so impressive, that I thought: wow, that´s a quarter of a box of A3+ Hahnemuehle! And just for tests!

The maths is as follows: from a single box of Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White, I counted 63 test prints (A5), which is 63 divided by 4, equals 15.75 or, in reality 16 sheets out of a box of 50. I still have 3 sheets left. This means, at best, I have 31 good prints with possibly another two to come from that box of paper.

I wonder if anyone has worked out what a reasonable expectation for final prints might be, on a per box measurement?

Rob C

rmarko52

HP B9180
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »

Purchased my B9180 in December 07.  Had a problem with initial install - it would not recognize the magenta cartridge.  HP sent me a new cartridge and I was able to get it working.  4 weeks later (and very few prints) it again refused to recognize the magenta cartridge.  This time HP has decided to replace the printer.  As I paid for the 3 YR Next Day Exchange Care Package - I should have been able to receive a next day replacement.  One problem with that - they are back-logged on this printer causing a 14 day delay in the replacement process.  I am eagerly awaiting my replacement - due to arrive on February 1.  I guess I'll need to reserve judgement until then, but I'm a little peeved with HP Service at this time.

Rick

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
HP B9180
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 01:49:24 am »

Yes, that light grey does seem to vanish pretty rapidly; perhaps that´s because most of my work is b/w. So perhaps the rest of us also on that road need not worry too much... it´s what we do rather than what the machine drinks.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's just the color maps for the printer, the Z2100 and 3100 are similar.
Almost like GCR, it uses more lG than the composite colors when it can. All it means is you'll or I'll need to stock a lG over the others.

dnair

HP B9180
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »

I'll resurrect this topic now that I'm printing regularly with my 9180. After de-mothballing mine, I had what seemed to be terminal "service stall" messages that drove me crazy. After literally pulling the machine apart, I discovered that the ink dumps had become clogged up and the carriage that they ride in was all gooey and sticky. Suffice to say that a good cleaning of everything, including all four printheads, and it is printing *flawlessly*.

I am using primarily Hahnemule and HP Advanced papers with what I consider truly outstanding results. Perhaps the best feature is the BW printing. On the satin-matt it's great, and on the glossy HP the blacks are about as good as I've ever seen. Count me as a very satisfied 9180 user.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too had been very happy with my B9180 (for a little over a year).  Recently have had the same problem with a "service stall" error that I cannot get past.  Gunnar1, can you tell me what you did to clean the ink dumps?

Thanks

sidero

HP B9180
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:13 pm »

Michael-

Since the 9180 is the printer you "use at home" despite having 5 other printers in your studio, it would be really wonderful and enlightening if (time permitting) you would occasionally comment on the results you get with different papers on the HP.

Have you tried your favorite new baryta (ilford gold silk) on this machine? How about EEF?

Keep up the good work. I've learned so much here!

gunnar1

HP B9180
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 01:06:56 am »

I too had been very happy with my B9180 (for a little over a year).  Recently have had the same problem with a "service stall" error that I cannot get past.  Gunnar1, can you tell me what you did to clean the ink dumps?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner dnair, I didn't realize that you had posted the question.

What I had to do was first remove the cover on the right side under the main cover. It comes off with three screws. Then I had to remove the front cover on the right side as well as the full right side cover- another (I think) three screws. There is a cover sensor that will fall out when you remove the main side cover. Place a stick of some sort in the u of the sensor so that it fools the machine into seeing the main cover as closed.

Once you have all of these covers off, you can clearly see the ink dumps. There will be a mess of gooey half dried ink all over the place. I have a package of swab sticks, kind of like a giant Q-tip on a wood stick, that I used with distilled water to keep cleaning everything until it stopped making the carriage stick. I also pulled all four print heads and thoroughly cleaned them with the same method. The printhead health display was showing the heads to be in marginal health before I cleaned them and in excellent health after. The cotton swabs and distilled water are HP's recommendations for cleaning.

I actually left the cover off for some time as it allowed me to see inside the machine as it was putting the ink down onto the paper- it was just fascinating to watch. Even my kids would sit and watch the print come to life inside the machine!

I hope that this works for you, as it saved a no doubt frustrating (and expensive) experience with the factory from ever having to happen.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up