Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normal zoom for Nikon DX  (Read 3168 times)

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:54:12 pm »

I'm debating the purchase of a Nikon D300 once it hits the shelves. I have coverage from 35mm to 300mm left over from my film days, but would like a zoom that covers something like 18-55mm, with optical quality up to snuff for the D300, but on the small and light side. Something like a constant f/4 instead of an f/2.8. Don't suppose there's anything like that also including image stabilization? Any suggestions appreciated.

grepmat

Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:22:51 pm »

Here are some obvious choices:

There is the 17-55 f/2.8, but this is not intended for full frame (FX) and is large and heavy, being the "pro" lens for DX in this range. It's appropriately sized for the D300, however. No image stabilization. I personally did not like the optical quality of this lens (two samples were examined) because it was actually of poorer quality than my 18-70 under many conditions (though better under others).

For a lighter "normal zoom" lens, there is the wonderful little 18-70 f/3.3-4.5. Also not for FX and no image stabilization. You can consider it the "f/4" lens in this range. It's inexpensive but is a definite cut above the typical consumer-level lenses. Image quality is truly excellent except for some vignetting wide open at the ends of the zoom, and some barrel distortion at 18mm. It's a remarkably light, compact, versatile and high-quality lens that is fit for a D300.

There is the 18-135 (DX, no image stabilization), but that is mostly a f/5.6 lens that is very sharp but has some poorer construction and some optical issues such as chromatic aberration, and which I do not consider worthy of the D300.

There is the 18-200 (DX, with image stabilization) that a lot of people like very much. It's also basically an f/5.6 lens through most of the range. Construction is similar to the 18-70, but with a much longer extension that feels a bit wobbly to me. Image quality is very good over-all except for rather bad distortion at the widest angles.

So, for a lighter "f/4" normal zoom, I prefer the 18-70. I mostly use it on a D40X, where the combination is so light and handy and produces such high quality that I actually tend to prefer it over my D200 plus 17-35 f/2.8, etc.

grepmat

Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:26:45 pm »

I forgot to mention the 17-35 f/2.8. Here's a superb lens that is heaven for landscapes where you will be stopped down to f/5.6 and smaller. It's a full-frame lens that is a great range for DX too. It wouldn't be called small and light, but it's distinctly smaller than the 17-55. If anything it's more robust, and few if any complaints about image quality have been heard (except some normal softness at f/2.8). On DX there is essentially no distortion and absolutely no vignetting any time.

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:06:03 pm »

Grepmat: thanks so much! Sounds like a very cogent analysis; both the 18-70 and surprisingly the 18-200 sound quite promising.

Hank

Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:42:58 pm »

With a fair variety to choose from, both my wife and I have grown really fond of our 24-120VR lenses (we have three) for general purpose use, especially away from the studio.  All three of ours perform better than either of our 18-200 lenses, though I've heard others with the opposite experience.  When sharpness is critical we use one of our outmoded 35-70 f/2.8 models or our old fallbacks, any of the 80-200 f/2.8 versions.  The situation is similar for wide zooms-  For general purpose we're using 10-20mm Sigmas or 12-24mm Nikkors, but when the chips are down we reach for the heavier 20-35mm f/2.8's.

In our experience, overall the newer DX zooms are terrific for light weight and convenience while giving credible results.  But when image quaity trumps convenience and weight, we reach for our D-series zooms over any contemporary lenses.  We haven't tried the 70-200 f/2.8, but secondhand accounts report that it will match our 80-200's.

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
Normal zoom for Nikon DX
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:12:25 am »

My wife has the 18-200mm VR lens (one of the early ones, when they were made in Japan).  It's slightly sharper, wide open at 200mm, than my Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS stopped down to f5.6 at the same focal length - so yes, the Nikon 18-200 is a pretty good little lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up