Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 manual focus lenses  (Read 10499 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Mamiya 645 manual focus lenses
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:56:57 pm »

Are there any major,or minor issues,using some of Mamiyas manual focus lenses
with either a 22 or 39 Mp back.

If I understand correctly ,the lenses have to use stop-down metering when working with an
AFD-ll. This is not an issue for me given their intended tripod mounted,non-people use

Of interest are the 35mm,50 shift,and 200 2.8 apo

Thanks,
Mark

amsp

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »

None. Optically they are identical to the AF lenses.

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:36:34 pm »

I have used the manual 150, 120 macro and 300mm lenses with no problems on an AFD/P45.
Jack Varney

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:04:08 pm »

Yes, they are optically the same. I use the 120 Macro and a 45 wide on a AFD body and A65 back. Tack sharp.  You do have to manually stop down however, but that's not a big deal. For me, I was able to save a bundle on some good glass without the frills. Since it's for studio use, auto focus/aperture don't mean anything to me.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 01:07:18 am »

Thanks for the replies.

That,and some other homework,gives me enough to go on.

Mark

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 06:51:46 am »

Thanks for the replies.

That,and some other homework,gives me enough to go on.

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These lenses can be found sitting used on dealer shelves at really low prices, as well as on the bay.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:13:42 pm »

Do the manual focus leaf shutter lenses like the 55/2.8 LS work on 645AF bodies?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:15:47 am »

Do the manual focus leaf shutter lenses like the 55/2.8 LS work on 645AF bodies?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rumor says they do work, but need manual mirror lock up before firing.

I think there are more details somewhere on photo.net

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

PdF

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:45:15 pm »

I'm using a lot of 645's lenses with the Mamiya mount of the Sinarcam 2. It's really usefull, because this mounting allows shifting (with my Sinarback 43 (1, 4 & 16 shots)). I like this kind of DIY's, but:

- The 35mm is not really perfect (distorsions in the corners)
- The chromatic aberrations are present with a lot of those lenses (55mm shift, 80mm f2.8, 35mm)
-  They don't support the comparison with a good classic Nikon 35mm lens, or with a Sinar digital lens, in terms of sharpness

-  Some lenses are giving very good results : 80mm f4 Macro, 150mm f2.8
-  They can be a significant solution for several unusual problems

I also use the 645 pro body with the Sinarback. I don't own any AF Mamiya.

PdF
PdF

Snook

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »

Can some one explain why it would be that you would have to put the camera in Mirror Lock up?
MAkes no sense to me why that would have to be done..?
Can anybody confirm this or explain why this would be necessary...?
Thanks
Snook

Lester

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:05 pm »

The reason you have to put the mirror up is because you are using the lenses shutter and not the camera.

Can some one explain why it would be that you would have to put the camera in Mirror Lock up?
MAkes no sense to me why that would have to be done..?
Can anybody confirm this or explain why this would be necessary...?
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

Snook

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 07:02:25 pm »

Yeh well I did the same with My Mamiya Pro TL and you do not have to put the Mirror up on that.
You just have to make sure you shoot at 1/8 and below.. Just like the Pentax 6X& LS lens as well..
That is why I am asking.. Why is the Leaf on the AFD any different?
I have the 55,80, and 150 and they are all 2.8 which is great also...
Snook
Anybody?
Thanks

j.miller

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »

In most cases you only need to slow the focal plane shutter down to 1/8th of a second or slower, so that the entire focal plane shutter is is open during the entire duration of which the leaf shutter is open (ideally faster otherwise, what is the point). The mirror will be out of the way regardless. Things get hairy when you begin to slow down below and 1/8th of a second with the leaf shutter, which can require the mirror to be locked up.

The focal plane shutter (and mirror) are open for the longer (ie. slower) duration of time, while the leaf shutter opens for a shorter (ie. faster) duration of time within it.

By the way, the Mamiya Leaf Shutter lenses do work on an AFD/AFD II

Regards,

Jordan Miller

The reason you have to put the mirror up is because you are using the lenses shutter and not the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154516\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:10:48 am by j.miller »

Snook

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:48:56 pm »

In most cases you only need to slow the focal plane shutter down to 1/8th of a second or slower, so that the entire focal plane shutter is is open during the entire duration of which the leaf shutter is open (ideally faster otherwise, what is the point). The mirror will be out of the way regardless. Things get hairy when you begin to slow down below and 1/8th of a second with the leaf shutter, which can require the mirror to be locked up.

The focal plane shutter (and mirror) are open for the longer (ie. slower) duration of time, while the leaf shutter opens for a shorter (ie. faster) duration of time within it.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Gem, Can you confirm that they work with out have to do the mirror lock up like many have said you have to do? I just got from New York with my AFDII but do not have a Film back nor the P30 yet so cannot try the leaf shutter lens yet. And it might be at least a week or 2 before I get my P30, So I cannot fire the AFD with out a Back apparently. I tried but the finder says NB which I imagine is NO BACK..:+}
Any body know if you can fire the AFD without a back in any way?
Anyways back to the Leaf shutter  lens..
Again can you confirm this either way.
I shot for MANY years w/ the ProTL  & LS lens and it was awesome and NOT with Mirror Lock-up.
So that is why I was wondering especially b/c in every post so far people have mentioned you have to Mirror Lock-up.... Which makes me wonder, Why?
SO maybe they either do not know "really" or you do have to for some mechanical reason with the newer AFDII...?
Well Thanks to anybody who can CONFIRM it either way! Or I will as soon as I get some kind of Back...:+}
Manually cranking the lens is NO biggy for me.. but Mirror lock-up and manual basically would stink and really slow the process down.
Maybe on Tripod and Hope your subject does not move ever so slightly...?
It is also Great to know that Mamiya is coming out with new LS lens.. Just hope they not in the 3-5K range...
Snook

Lester

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39:54 am »

If you could fire the Mamiya Leaf shutter lenses on the AFD/AFD II, not using the lenses as a regular manual lenses but fire the leaft shutter, I would like to know how? The LS lenses was design for the 645 Pro serials and the AFD/AFD II has electronic contacts. You need to close the LS shutter to fire shutter and there is no way to close the shutter with the AFD/AFD II

I am a old fart, over 60

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:49 am »

I think that the 35mm AF has a new and improved formulation as opposed to the old 35mm manual focus. Someone told me this, so it is not hard evidence, but made sense at the time so I bought a used 35mm AF then.
[font=Comic Sa

Snook

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 12:24:06 pm »

Lester I believe that when you crank the Leaf shutter manually it shuts the curtain. I just tried this on my ProTl with the Automatic plug taken out(of the Grip) so it is full manual.
So I do not see the difference that the AFDII would have.
Like I said I do not have a back so I cannot try this on my new AFDII and leafshutter lens.
But I did try it on my ProTL and you do not have to put mirror lock up..
Can some one who has actually done it please post. Not people just guessing!!!
That would be more helpful than a bunch of Posts that are speculating...
Otherwise you guys will have to wait until I have my Back and then I can prove or Dis Prove these People just guessing.
Anybody?
Snook

j.miller

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 01:02:54 pm »

In my experience, with Leaf, Hasselblad, and Mamiya backs on AFD/II bodies, the leaf shutter lenses do function without the need for locking up the mirror. This is practically the same as using the leaf shutter lenses on Mamiya 645 Pro/TL bodies, without the WG402 auto-cocking Power Drive Grip.

The the shutter in the Mamiya leaf shutter lenses can be cocked and released independent of the camera.

You cannot fire the AFD/II body without a back.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Lester I believe that when you crank the Leaf shutter manually it shuts the curtain. I just tried this on my ProTl with the Automatic plug taken out(of the Grip) so it is full manual.
Like I said I do not have a back so I cannot try this on my new AFDII and leafshutter lens.
Otherwise you guys will have to wait until I have my Back and then I can prove or Dis Prove these People just guessing.
Anybody?
Snook

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:10:32 am by j.miller »

Snook

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »

Thanks Jordan , I hope that is the case!!
I would be STOKED to have the use of my Leaf shutter lens again... And would be happy as heck (Until the new leaf shutters come out) manually cranking every time...:+}
I did that back in the day with my Pentax 6X7 Leaf shutter lens anyway and got great pictures with that!!
Hope the timing has not got out of wack on the lens after sitting for 6 years or so...
Thanks for the Information. It makes sense that way and is what I thought but when I saw several post in which people were stating you had to mirror lock up every time.. I thought that would be a pain for sure..
Oh well. I will soon find out.
Snook

Lester

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 05:31:14 pm »

Okay, Snook, this is what I am working with, Mamiya 645AFD, P45 back and 150/3.8 N/L leaf-shutter. Someone here is dreaming, your direction does not work on the AFD. There is no link between the LS lenses and the AFD. The only way I could fire the lenses shutter is to uncock the switch behind the lenses and it close the lenses and then it could be fire, using the cable relleased switch on the lenses. I do not know if the other people is BS you or they do not have the lenses to test it out. This is only from my test, with my system. Or just call Mamiya.

Anybody?
Snook

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up