Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB travel photography by experienced amateurs  (Read 5673 times)

HAK

MFDB travel photography by experienced amateurs
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:56:56 pm »

There are a lot of Pro photographers on this forum, and I love to follow their advice and knowledge.
But are there some experienced amateurs out there who can share their experience with using MFDBs with me:

I'm an (experienced) amateur photographer currently with a Konica Minolta 7D and a Leica M8. I use both a lot while travelling and strolling around looking for good shots (never in a studio). Sometimes, however, I would love to have really big prints of some of my photos - or do some heavier cropping without loosing all image quality.

2 weekends ago I had the chance (???) to try a Contax 645 + 45-90 CZ zoom in  'mint' conditions + 'new' refurbished P25 (all of which I could get, if I say yes, for EUR 14.500 incl 19% German VAT, I think that is a very reasonable price).

I wanted to find out, if this was a combo I could use for travel, do acceptable handheld shots without lugging around a big tripod.

The 2 test days were very different - the first was sunny with a clear blue sky and I tried the 645 only handheld (and did some KM7D comparison shots).
The other day was gray and foggy and I tested the 645 combo with a monopod and captured shots in the mystery mood of a forrest with the colours of high autumn dampened by the fog.

Well, I had read a lot about image quality of MFDBs and seen images on the web, but I was really surprised by the quality of fine details I got when printing A3+ on my HP9180. Even handheld or with the monopod at 1/60th I got much sharper and detailed photos - without any image stabilization as in my 7D.

I'm thrilled by the image quality - but not sure because of the weight of the Contax 645 combo for travelling. And I have to take a decision soon, as I will be travelling to Vietnam in exactly 4 weeks from now.

So, dear amateur photographers using a MFDB 'for fun' and not for your living, what are your experiences?

Did you jump on the MFDB for image quality and remained with it ?
Or did you give up because of weight and less easy handling in comparison to 35mm digital DSRLs?
Do you take along the MFDB and a smaller camera for the family/friends/street shots or do you take all with the big one?
Did your love for MFDBs grow over time, did you start publishing/selling photos or did you switch back for the 'normal' size?
Does a 645 equipment intimidate the people you shoot or are they more open/ interested  because you looked more like a Pro?

Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts and experiences!

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:24:56 pm »

although nor beeing an amateur, i like to use my contax 645 together with sinar emotion75  back for "travelling" shoots aside my work. i like it a lot if i use it either with the 80 or the 55mm lens,with the waist level finder and without battery grip. thats because than it becomes a very light weight package with fantastic image quality. this set together with both lenses fit in a small loewe bag.wouldnt mount a fat zoom on it for holding it light weighted.....
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:26:31 pm »

I am pro too .

Now travelling asd a pro you might NEED to get shots that means you might need high ISO - so you end up taking two kits and that is heavy

When I do abroad in future I imagine I will D3 it if I am travelling light

But as an am you dont NEED shots - if the light goes you can just go and have a beer

So it would be MORE appealing kit as an amateur in a way

I would make sure you are insured of course because the value of the kit causes stress

---
Does a 645 equipment intimidate the people you shoot or are they more open/ interested because you looked more like a Pro?

I think it could cause problems with 'jobsworths' museum security, customs etc but people are intimidated by canons and long lenses IMO

Shooting in close generally means communicating with your subject - which is great

I always feel bad on the beach with a nikon and a telephoto whereas my really funny kit - water houseing and 54 Sinar (thats two differerent bits of funny kit) generally cause interest and help the communication process

I am not sure that a contax actually looks any different to the untrained eye

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

amsp

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:49:04 pm »

As much as I'd love to bring my P25 with me when I travel I just can't risk being mugged or breaking a $20K equipment, and quite frankly I'm surprised so many don't seem to ponder this at all. Do you have some kind of miracle cover-all-insurance, or are you just stinking rich?  I have/am neither, so I'll stick with my expendable 1Ds for travel.

Geoffrey

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:20:58 pm »

Good question. As an amateur, I have used the Rollei 6003 while traveling with good success. Its a bit heavy, and yes, after a couple of hours its a pain to lug around - but the image quality and control is just worth it. I could imagine it with a back on it (or the Jy6) if the numbers were more justifiable. As is.... pretty hard to see how it can be worthwile.

Like you, I moved to the M8, for the same reasons. The quality is very high and portability is quite nice. But the loss of the WLF, and the file size are issues. I thin the quality is high enough - its the compositional aspects of it that are limiting me.

The Contax would seem to be a good answer - affordable, higher quality level, great lenses (did you solve the wide angle issue of what lens to use?), but for me, the pentaprism doesn't work. The overall weight on the wrist was just too much and the camera (for me) was too imposing and not comfortable. I rented one for a weekend, and never took a shot with it. Just didn't manage.

I'm sure there are other opinions, to be fair. Just one man's thoughts. Still like the waist level finder, and would like to find an answer with a good digital back, and a wide angle lens setup. For some trips, that would be worth it. For others, maybe the smaller M8 is just the right way to go.

pprachun

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »

As much as I'd love to bring my P25 with me when I travel I just can't risk being mugged or breaking a $20K equipment, and quite frankly I'm surprised so many don't seem to ponder this at all. Do you have some kind of miracle cover-all-insurance, or are you just stinking rich?  I have/am neither, so I'll stick with my expendable 1Ds for travel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just what is your definition of "stinking rich"?  Someone who has enough money to purchase a P25 back AND a Canon 1Ds?  Or do they stink because they work and sweat for their possessions?  

I travel with my H3D-39 and 3-4 lenses because of the photography, not to worry about the weight or risk or value of the equipment.  The equipment is just  a tool.  That's what insurance is for.

I'd bet you'll get mugged for a 1Ds as quickly, indeed, probably quicker, than for a medium format camera.  Muggers can recognize a top end Canon or Nikon - a medium format is an obscure piece of equipment; and there's likely little chance of fencing it successfully -- bloody small market!

I use to travel with a Canon 1Ds outfit; it's not significantly lighter than a medium format outfit.  But the picture quality IS significantly better.  I keep the 1Ds as a backup.  Once you've tried medium format, damn it's hard to go back to "35mm".  Even my wife, who has virtually no photographic training can recognize the Hassy pics over the Canons.  It's actually she who convinced me to take the Hassy traveling.

The medium format has not hampered my photography "style"; nor do I find does it intimidate people.  As a matter or fact it usually opens doors for you if you're willing to communicate and be pleasant.  People quickly recognize that you're serious about photography -- pro or amateur.  The same can really be said for the top end DSLRs.

So, if you do photography for the love or it and/or the picture quality, and can afford the medium format equipment -- go for it.  I assure you, a "35mm" can seem just as heavy when you're tired or despondent.  If this 62 year old can "lug" this stuff around, I'll bet you can too -- hey, it'll even help you stay in shape.  And after you get back and look at those files, you'll know it was worth it.
Paul Prachun

vandevanterSH

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »

I am an amateur and I travel and hike with my 503CW+PME45+ motor-winder+CFV back.  I carry it usually in a top loading LowePro case.  I usually have the 50 mm on the camera and carry the 180mm in a belt case. Works fine for me.

Steve

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:17:37 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
exactly this is what i have: a nearly cover-all-insurance
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

vandevanterSH

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:21:44 pm »

I am an amateur and I travel and hike with my 503CW+PME45+ motor-winder+CFV back.  I carry it usually in a top loading LowePro case.  I usually have the 50 mm on the camera and carry the 180mm in a belt case. Works fine for me.
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A couple of pix...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:23:43 pm »

For others, maybe the smaller M8 is just the right way to go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Image quality on the M8 is good, for the format. However it has a serious reliability problem and lenses are expensive.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:54:33 pm »

Hi, I am a serious amateur photographer and am as expatriate working and living in Korea at moment. I do travels across Asia yearly and Europe a couple of times per year. My photography is primarily landscapes, scenery and people living traditional lives.

I stepped up to medium format this year because I wanted higher quality and ability to do large prints to high quality. Firstly I bought the Mamiya 7II. Since July also Mamiya ZD camera. The weight of one medium format digital package is not a problem for me because its weight is about same as a top of line DSLR system. The problem is that I also love the slides I get from my Mamiya 7II **AND** that I need high ISO digital at times on travels. Still thinking of that one... Any advise welcome   . A DSLR with 50mm lens and Mamiya 645 to DSLR adapter is an option... yet then three cameras and heavy to carry around...  

Regards
Anders

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 11:33:02 pm »

I have a M8 and R9/DMR but for serious travel, esp to europe I find the Contax 645 with P backs great! (35mm, 80mm , sometimes 45mm and 140mm.)
I have been using the Contax for 4-5 yrs with everything from Kodak>P25>P45>P45+ and I sometimes wonder why I bother with anything else.

The only issue is that I aften mistaken for a PRO!  :-)

At Hampton Court show, I actually had someone shoo people away so I could get a shot. I guess they thought I was paper or newswire.

ANyway, never has a problem, of course I use a nondescript backpack, and don't advertise that I am traveling with $40-50K in equipment

:-)

Regards
Victor

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 12:35:31 am »

I am a serious amateur and have canon DSLR (a variety of lenses), and a Hasselblad H2/aptus 65. Most of my travel is primary for work but I commonly like to spend some taking photographs between meetings especially if i am in a nice place.  Therefore, I usually take my 5D and various lenses depending on where i am going.  If I travel with my family on vacation, then most of the time they do not like when i spend lots of time setting up including the tripod etc when we are together.  So if I shoot without a tripod am I getting the full advantage of having that extra resolution and IQ.   Again, if we are going to Yosemite I might get up very early and go out shooting and then i would want my MF gear with me.  If you have your MF gear on the trip, and you leave your camera in the hotel because you are likely not going to have time to do a lot of shooting--- but then you come across something of great interest, the camera in the hotel room is not going to be very helpful.   I tend to bring more gear  on road trips because i can just leave stuff in the trunk while out and about and decide later.  The problem is that because i travel so much for work it is hard for me to get away for any time to take photos on a photo trip.  IF it were just me and I had a lot of extra time to shoot, I would bring my MF and a DSLR, and use the later when just walking around.    I hope this made sense.  

There are a lot of Pro photographers on this forum, and I love to follow their advice and knowledge.
But are there some experienced amateurs out there who can share their experience with using MFDBs with me:

I'm an (experienced) amateur photographer currently with a Konica Minolta 7D and a Leica M8. I use both a lot while travelling and strolling around looking for good shots (never in a studio). Sometimes, however, I would love to have really big prints of some of my photos - or do some heavier cropping without loosing all image quality.

2 weekends ago I had the chance (???) to try a Contax 645 + 45-90 CZ zoom in  'mint' conditions + 'new' refurbished P25 (all of which I could get, if I say yes, for EUR 14.500 incl 19% German VAT, I think that is a very reasonable price).

I wanted to find out, if this was a combo I could use for travel, do acceptable handheld shots without lugging around a big tripod.

The 2 test days were very different - the first was sunny with a clear blue sky and I tried the 645 only handheld (and did some KM7D comparison shots).
The other day was gray and foggy and I tested the 645 combo with a monopod and captured shots in the mystery mood of a forrest with the colours of high autumn dampened by the fog.

Well, I had read a lot about image quality of MFDBs and seen images on the web, but I was really surprised by the quality of fine details I got when printing A3+ on my HP9180. Even handheld or with the monopod at 1/60th I got much sharper and detailed photos - without any image stabilization as in my 7D.

I'm thrilled by the image quality - but not sure because of the weight of the Contax 645 combo for travelling. And I have to take a decision soon, as I will be travelling to Vietnam in exactly 4 weeks from now.

So, dear amateur photographers using a MFDB 'for fun' and not for your living, what are your experiences?

Did you jump on the MFDB for image quality and remained with it ?
Or did you give up because of weight and less easy handling in comparison to 35mm digital DSRLs?
Do you take along the MFDB and a smaller camera for the family/friends/street shots or do you take all with the big one?
Did your love for MFDBs grow over time, did you start publishing/selling photos or did you switch back for the 'normal' size?
Does a 645 equipment intimidate the people you shoot or are they more open/ interested  because you looked more like a Pro?

Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts and experiences!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HAK

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 03:12:45 am »

I didn't expect to find so many detailed comments when coming back to my PC this morning.

Thank you so much for your answers - and I'm sorry that I forgot, when posting my question, that Pros have a private life outside their jobs and might take photos for private fun too.

Your different views a very valuable to me: I felt, that MFDB quality was very contagious - and with one exception you confirm this to me.

OK, a MFDB forum is perhaps not the best place to also get those who switched back to 35mm. Normally there are a lot of critical posters in this forum and as they are absent up to now, I feel sort of conspiracy on your side to corner me into MFDB. My resistance against this quality virus is weakening strongly (and pprachun, I'm only 3 years away from you and your muscle training comment is another gorgeous motivator  ).

Thank you also for talking about insurance: are there some German members to this post, who could give me a contact to an insurance company covering this type of equipment?

I look forward to see more answers to this post - go on weakening my resistance against this 'heavy' decision.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 03:21:47 am »

I look forward to see more answers to this post - go on weakening my resistance against this 'heavy' decision

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fundamentally you should also be thinking that the cost of an MFDB will cost you some trips

And you cant take any photos without being there

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

etrump

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 11:42:07 am »

I have found the additional weight of the MFDB kit to be only a minor issue.  

I do a fair amount of hiking while shooting landscapes and lugging the weight of tripod, MFDB with lens coverage from 300mm to 35mm was pretty comparable to my Canon 1D with L/IS glass with similar coverage.  

My MF lens are almost all a stop slower which equates to less weight than the L with IS which kind of offsets the extra weight of the DB.  Not usually a problem when shooting landscape.

I now basically use the Canon for wildlife or travel related photography and the Mammy for landscape and am very happy with the combination.
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 04:03:05 pm »

I'm a pro - my travel kit - 5D, some fast primes, lowepro sling shot bag. I have a small monopod
that attaches as well if necc.

you look more like a kook tourist (mainly the bag), but rarely do I get hassled as being a pro.

I leave the laptop and assorted junk @ my lodging - and any extra "i might need this"

*IMHO - I suppose some stuff requires the big MF backs, but a 503 w/ a 16MP back - that seems like a lot of weight for that file size - IMHO*
Pages: [1]   Go Up