Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 extended warranty reccomendation (USA)  (Read 4601 times)

DotCom Editor

Z3100 extended warranty reccomendation (USA)
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:21:01 pm »

I'm mulling over what to do about purchasing a Z3100 extended warranty, and I would greatly appreciate your reccomendations. Apparently, there is promotional pricing currently in place that expires on Oct. 31. My use is in my home; it's not in a commercial production environment.

I'm told this is what's available for my 24-inch, non-PS, non-APS: 3yr, $1,499; 4yr, $2,249; 5yr, $2,998

Harris

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:46:16 pm »

I'm mulling over what to do about purchasing a Z3100 extended warranty, and I would greatly appreciate your reccomendations. Apparently, there is promotional pricing currently in place that expires on Oct. 31. My use is in my home; it's not in a commercial production environment.

I'm told this is what's available for my 24-inch, non-PS, non-APS: 3yr, $1,499; 4yr, $2,249; 5yr, $2,998
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I learned today from HP that a 3 year warranty includes the first year warranty included with the purchase, etc, so in effect it is 2 years more for $1,499.  A little misleading don't you think.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:37 pm »

I learned today from HP that a 3 year warranty includes the first year warranty included with the purchase, etc, so in effect it is 2 years more for $1,499.  A little misleading don't you think.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149918\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Slimey, if you ask me.  I would certainly assume that you should be able to divide a three year warranty by three and get an annual cost - wrong!  You are buying a two year warranty, not three.  I guess the other way to look at it, though, is that a one year warranty is absolutely free.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:53:32 am »

Read the warranty...It provides NEXT DAY ON-SITE SERVICE for three years. My cost for a Z3100PS was 1349US and believe it's worth that amount not to be out of service for more than a day. If your business is fine art printing, extended down time can be much more costly than an extended warranty.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:59:18 pm »

Three years from when, though?  From when the free warranty ends, or from the original date of purchase?  I don't think the point being made was so much about the value of the plan (I will buy mine before the one year date rolls around), but about the deceptive labeling.  Are we wrong on that point?
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:01:49 pm »

Three years from when, though?  From when the free warranty ends, or from the original date of purchase?  I don't think the point being made was so much about the value of the plan (I will buy mine before the one year date rolls around), but about the deceptive labeling.  Are we wrong on that point?
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes your wrong. Twice.

1) It's not deceptive advertising...Again, read the warranty terms...the extended warranty is an entirely different warranty. You receive three years of Next Day Service.

2) Don't wait for a year to get the extended warranty...I believe that you must purchase the extended warranty within 180 days of buying the printer.

Harris

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:41:39 pm »

When an HP rep tells me that the way they sell the "Extended Warranty" is wrong and HP should make it clearer that a three year "Extended Warranty" is only an additional two years on the original one year warranty, then no matter how great the service is, it appears to me that it is wrong - wrong - wrong.  He also told me you can get the extended warranty any time during the year of purchase.  

This has nothing to do with how great the service is, which I have been satisfied with, but what else is there to say?

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:20:08 pm »

Warranties have a lot of print and fine print. Sales reps are just that. They can guide you and recommend what they think is best suited but they are not required to recite the fine print. If you requested they find the details of the warranties that is another thing, but it's not the case here is it?
In this case it's best to go to the local HP website and look up the accessories for the HP Z printers and read what there is there.
AFAIK , the 3 year extended warranty is next day service, telephone support and the total of three years from the purchase date. Yet  this is not the only option.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:44:35 am by neil snape »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »

Yes your wrong. Twice.

1) It's not deceptive advertising...Again, read the warranty terms...the extended warranty is an entirely different warranty. You receive three years of Next Day Service.

2) Don't wait for a year to get the extended warranty...I believe that you must purchase the extended warranty within 180 days of buying the printer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Funny, but I have next day warranty service now, with the standard warranty.  I've called with a problem in the afternoon and still had a technician here the next day.  This is one aspect of HP's service that I have absolutely no problem with.

I checked with HP and they say that I have until 364 days from purchase to buy the extended warranty.

I feel confident getting my information directly from HP on this issue . . .
-Ron H.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 05:53:45 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello - Hopefully this note is not too late for you.  I'm a home amatuer user, and having free time to pursue printing is my main issue, not down time as many professional users.  I'm opted to buy my Z3100 using my personal Visa credit card, making me eligible for "free" double manufacturer's warranty and $360 for 4-years (or was it 5?) extended coverage (including lemon replacement, lighting strikes, blippity-blah).  I'll be a cash repair customer to HP with reimbursements from Visa.  Time will tell if this is a bargin or bust, but it is another option to consider.   Cheers, Ralph

tkarlmann

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 03:46:50 am »

Hello - Hopefully this note is not too late for you.  I'm a home amatuer user, and having free time to pursue printing is my main issue, not down time as many professional users.  I'm opted to buy my Z3100 using my personal Visa credit card, making me eligible for "free" double manufacturer's warranty and $360 for 4-years (or was it 5?) extended coverage (including lemon replacement, lighting strikes, blippity-blah).  I'll be a cash repair customer to HP with reimbursements from Visa.  Time will tell if this is a bargin or bust, but it is another option to consider.   Cheers, Ralph
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where did you get this warranty offer from?

Pete Kossaras

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:31 am »

I own a major appliance store, and most if not all of the companies extended warranties that we sell work like this. For example if a customer purchases a five year contract it is for a total of five years, including the one year warranty that is included with the product. So yes a five year contract adds four additional years not five. Deceiving or not all of the major companies we that we deal with are set up this way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up