Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Paper Profiles with +/- ink settings  (Read 2603 times)

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Z3100 Paper Profiles with +/- ink settings
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:33:47 am »

Profiling the Photo SemiGloss Satin paper (Q6579A) after installing the new firmware v6.0.0.8 there are three different options for this paper: normal / more ink / less ink.

Printing the profiling charts for "normal" and "more ink" I can't see any differences between the two prints.

On the HP website I can't find any informations about these settings. Are these settings more ink / less ink used to save ink or to print with a lower quality?

dhoelscher

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:08 am »

Profiling the Photo SemiGloss Satin paper (Q6579A) after installing the new firmware v6.0.0.8 there are three different options for this paper: normal / more ink / less ink.

... Are these settings more ink / less ink used to save ink or to print with a lower quality?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am certainly not the expert; but to answer your question - these options are to control the total amount of ink ("ink limiting") deposited on a particular paper.

This is necessary when using different types of non-HP media so that the appropriate amount of ink is laid down.  When using HP media with HP media presets, that's taken care of for you automatically.  But when using a "custom", that is, non-HP paper, you need to understand/figure out/test/read online/see HP's website to see which media preset is appropriate.

For example, I like printing on the new Harman Gloss FB Al paper on  my Z3100.  If you use a media preset like "Photo Gloss Paper" with this paper and print an image that has a lot of density (like a night scene), the paper buckles under the ink load and the print head crashes into the paper making an ugly mark.  However, if you print the exact same image using the preset "Fine Art Pearl Paper (less ink)" then two things happen:

1)  The ink limiting in the printer is set for much less ink than for glossy papers,

2)  The print head is placed in the "high" position, rather than the "low" position for glossy papers.

The net result of these two is that the print is no longer buckling so much and the print head doesn't crash into the paper anymore with dense images.

Does this help?

DDH

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:04 am »

For example, I like printing on the new Harman Gloss FB Al paper on  my Z3100.  If you use a media preset like "Photo Gloss Paper" with this paper and print an image that has a lot of density (like a night scene), the paper buckles under the ink load and the print head crashes into the paper making an ugly mark.  However, if you print the exact same image using the preset "Fine Art Pearl Paper (less ink)" then two things happen:

1)  The ink limiting in the printer is set for much less ink than for glossy papers,

2)  The print head is placed in the "high" position, rather than the "low" position for glossy papers.

The net result of these two is that the print is no longer buckling so much and the print head doesn't crash into the paper anymore with dense images.
DDH
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
DDH-
Am I reading this right, that you are getting results you are happy with from the Harman Gloss paper?  I thought everybody who tried it with their Z3100 had experienced marking from the paper transport?  Is it just that nobody had the paper preset right?  Do you get good D-max from it, even with less ink being laid down?

Also, Thomas, you might be more likely to see a difference with the final print output, vs. the profile itself, between different paper presets.  Have you taken a look at these pages (you will need to log in)?
-Ron H.

[a href=\"https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/country/us/en/iccmedia.html?profile_type=MEDIA&pageseq=676267?pageseq=676268#non_hp_paper]https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/country/us/e...68#non_hp_paper[/url]

https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/working...?pageseq=676270
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dhoelscher

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:50 am »

DDH-
Am I reading this right, that you are getting results you are happy with from the Harman Gloss paper?  I thought everybody who tried it with their Z3100 had experienced marking from the paper transport?  Is it just that nobody had the paper preset right?  Do you get good D-max from it, even with less ink being laid down?

-Ron H.

Yes, relatively happy.  There are still some subtle transport marks present even with the best media preset ... but I'm still OK with the result for some prints.

Yes, I got a great Dmax even with low ink limiting.

Give it a try .... of course YMMV, but the Fine Art Paper (less ink) media preset did the best job out of all that I've tried with the Harman Gloss FB Al paper.

(I had no problem with the Matte version just using the plain old built-in matte paper preset) ...

DDH

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:57:26 am »

Yes, relatively happy.  There are still some subtle transport marks present even with the best media preset ... but I'm still OK with the result for some prints.

Yes, I got a great Dmax even with low ink limiting.

Give it a try .... of course YMMV, but the Fine Art Paper (less ink) media preset did the best job out of all that I've tried with the Harman Gloss FB Al paper.

(I had no problem with the Matte version just using the plain old built-in matte paper preset) ...

DDH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wow.  That setting means matte black and no gloss enhancer, even.  I have a roll that I've been debating testing with or sending back, so you have at least encouraged me enough to try it out.
Now back to the previous, un-hijacked thread . . .
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up