Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Borneo  (Read 2514 times)

stever

Borneo
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:13 pm »

Recently returned from my first trip to Borneo.  Primary motivation was diving Sipidan, but it takes so long to get there from San Francisco that we decided to visit a longhouse and try to see (and photograph some wildlife).

Started in Sarawak with a longhouse visit upriver from Batang Ai dam.  Great people photography, but the 5 hour (each way) drive from Kuching was not nice - there must be some more accessable authentic longhouses (although i don't know how to find them)

Turns out we were there at the wrong time of year and month for best animal photography -- should go in June-July (when trees are fruiting) and in the dark of the moon for nocturnal animals.  Saw Orang-utans at the Sepilok rehabilitatiion center (interesting, but in June-July the time would be better spent looking for them in the wild).

Rainforest lodge in Sukau provides good views into the rainforest from the river in smaller boats with 4-cycle outboards and auxilary electric motors (the lodge is not air conditioned with mediocre food, but may get some refurbishment pretty soon).

Raiforest shooting conditions - everthing is distant, in shadow, and mostly small (except for the "pygmy" elephants).  I shot a 20D with 100-400 and telephoto flash - often using the flash as the primary light with ambient fill.  And it wasn't long enough.  I taped the pins and put on the 1.4x and got a few decent shots (slide showable, but not really printable) of proboscis monkeys from the boat with a monopod (and of course flash), but most of the time there wasn't enough light to focus with the 1.4x.  A few decent bird shots at night.  During the day, a reasonable number of Hornbills, but 640mm wasn't enough.

After elaborate rain precautions, the solution proved simple - put the camera under your poncho.  My Warmlite poncho was superb (you can buy a plastic poncho locally for $2, but they don't drape nicely and aren't sealled on the sides. When it rains, it's so heavy there's no point in a camera cover, you're not going to take any pictures.  Some dessicant and XL ziplocks are good insurance.  Since we were mostly un-air-contidioned, condensation was not a bid problem, and most of the air conditioned place could be turned up to 78-80F which was good for the cameras and good for the lungs.

Had higher expectations for the Danum Valley which is a very large preserve.  But this was disappointing in animal life.  Ultimately saw (and got mediocre photos of) gibbons and red leaf monkeys - and one male Orang-utan during the day.  Night hikes were a bust -- the animals are too far up in the canopy to see.  The best night viewing was from the truck drive on the road - one or two flying sqirrels every night, a flying lemur (which isn't really a lemur and of course, glides rather than flies), and finally a brief glimpse of a slow loris.  The guide's lights were not always able to provide focus light, but my 100 lumen Surefire was - it just needed another intelligent hand to illuminate the subject - need to investigate a focus light holder (number 2 on my wish list is a dedicated, rugged telephoto flash with built-in focus light.  number 1 is a 100-400 that is sharp wide open and will autofocus with a 1.4x extender on a crop-frame camera).

If you're interested in anything rare, forget it - our guide had seen 3 clouded leopards in 10 years.  The last rhino sighting was about 10 years ago.

Light colored clothing is easier to inspect for leaches (my wife and i each got leached once - bloody, but no itching afterwards like a mosquito bite).  Leaches are worse in the rainy season, starting Oct, but fewer mosquitios - the Malarone was probably a waste of money, Borneo does not have a high incidence of malaria even in the dry season.

The diving.  Visibility was poor as there wer storms a couple weeks before we arrived.  So my best shot were close and macro.  Enormous amount of fish life at Sipidan, but i enjoyed the muck diving around Mabul and Kapalai as much or more (if Sipidan visibility were better my opinion might be different).

Spent a couple days in Kuala Lumpur on the way back.  The butterfly park was intersting, but no really exceptional subjects.  The bird park was well worth a visit - if you're there - not a lot to do in K-L.

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Borneo
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:32:53 pm »

Back around '85 I and a couple of friends (with our guide) went up the Skrang river and spent a couple of nights at a longhouse several hours out, past the usual tourist places. You know you're there because there are no tourist-friendly stairways, just the log you need to run up. Had an awesome time. You didn't want to look too closely at the contents of the net bags that were hanging from the ceiling at intervals along the longhouse . I was using a Bronica GS-1 at the time.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &
Pages: [1]   Go Up