Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound advice from Jeff Schewe on using Leopard  (Read 4716 times)

JayS

Sound advice from Jeff Schewe on using Leopard
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:13:35 pm »

To all,
     Like most, I'm just as anxious to start using Leopard as soon as possible.  Here is an approach from Jeff Schewe that allows someone to get their toes dipped into the Leopard pool, and not damage a working system..  Think of the invvestment in a drive as a good backup scenario for Time Machine anyway...  :-)  Jeff posted this on the Adobe forum.

"Personally, I'm going to clone my main boot drives, boot from the external FireWire drives and do the 10.5 update on those drives to test out 10.5 and application compatibilities. I would be inclined _NOT_ to migrate my main boot drives to 10.5 until I see a 10.5.1 update or I convinced myself that the current mission critical apps I need to run will run on 10.5 or those apps have been updated for 10.5 compatibility.

The LAST thing I would do is rush to update my boot drives only to find that the 10.5 breaks my main app workflows of course, that's just me.

I went to the Apple store Sat afternoon and bought my 10.5 update but it's not like it's burning a hole in my pocket. I also figure it'll take days if not weeks to just learn how to _USE_ 10.5 let alone to be able to depend on it... "

Jay S.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:24 pm »

Or you could do like us Windows users do: just ignore the new "upgrade" and continue using the old system.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:38:10 pm »

Seems like a lot of people are making a very big deal out of it. Here is how it went for me: a couple of mouse clicks, left for a dinner, and one hour later everything worked just fine. This is Apple after all!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 05:38:27 pm by slobodan56 »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »

Seems like a lot of people are making a very big deal out of it. Here is how it went for me: a couple of mouse clicks, left for a dinner, and one hour later everything worked just fine. This is Apple after all!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought everything worked until I tried to print with the 3800.  Even with the 10.5 Epson drivers, the prints are way off.  Colorburst also locks up with Leopard.

Steve

JayS

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071025100548752
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can't get there...  Subscription only it appears

Jay S.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:46:23 pm »

Can't get there...  Subscription only it appears

Jay S.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shouldn't be. Anyway:

Installing Leopard to an external firewire drive

Earlier, we published a tutorial explaining how to clone the Tiger installer DVD to an external FireWire drive. In that tutorial, we suggested that while you're doing this you should also have a second partition on the external drive on which you can actually install the system. Well, now the truth can be told; in that tutorial, we were just preparing you for a valuable Leopard installation technique.

You see, Leopard is the first Mac OS X system that comes on a Universal Binary DVD. The very same DVD can be used to install Leopard either on a PowerPC Mac or on an Intel Mac. This means that the very same system can be used to start up either a PowerPC Mac or an Intel Mac. With Leopard, you can make a universal boot disk.

Since Leopard is very new, and since not every application has been updated to work with it, an external firewire boot disk can be a very good way to get started. Think of the advantages:

You don't have to repartition or change anything on your computer's internal hard drive.

You can switch back to Tiger instantly at any time.

The very same firewire disk can be used to boot different computers into Leopard (though not, of course, simultaneously).

This, in fact, is how we worked with Leopard seeds all during the (very long) beta testing period leading up to Leopard's release. And it worked great! There is a disadvantage to this approach: if you have a portable computer, then Leopard will not be part of that portability (unless you want to carry the external firewire drive around with you along with the computer). But this, we found, was a small price to pay, since even a portable computer is used sitting in just one place most of the time.

The secret behind the universality of the Leopard boot disk is that, although a PowerPC Mac will not boot from a GUID-partitioned disk (the "native" partitioning for an Intel Mac boot disk), an Intel Mac will boot from an APM-partitioned disk (the "native" partitioning for a PPC boot disk). So, the trick is: if you have both a PPC machine and an Intel machine that you'd like to be able to boot with a Leopard external firewire disk, use the PPC machine to perform this procedure. (If you don't have a PPC machine, then just use the Intel machine; your Leopard external firewire disk won't be able to boot a PPC machine, but you won't care.)

Okay, to sum up the procedure, here's what we suggest:

Get yourself a nice big external firewire hard drive. You're going to want one to use with Leopard anyway, so you can use Time Machine. (Time Machine will probably not back up to a partition on an internal drive; it's looking for an external drive.)

Use Disk Utility (you can do this with Tiger) to repartition the drive. As you do the repartitioning, take great care to specify the correct partition scheme! If you're using a PPC machine, you want the Apple Partition Map (the default). If you're using an Intel machine (because you have no PPC machines), you want the GUID partition scheme; it is easy to neglect this step, and if you do, and you accidentally use APM, you won't be able to make a Leopard bootable disk. We suggest three partitions:

A 10 GB partition to hold the clone of the Leopard DVD.
A 30 GB partition to hold the Leopard system.
All the rest to hold Time Machine backups.
As described in the earlier tutorial, insert your Leopard installer DVD into the computer and make an image file from it. Now "restore" (clone) the image file to the first partition on the external firewire drive.

The first partition on the external firewire drive is now bootable: it is a clone of the installer DVD. So boot from it! The effect is just as if you had booted from the installer DVD: the installer will offer to install Leopard. Do an erase-and-install onto the second partition of the external firewire drive.

At the end of the installation process, the installer will automatically reboot the computer from the Leopard system it just installed on the second partition of the external drive. You will have to go through the usual kerfuffle about creating an initial admin user, declining the opportunity to subscribe to .Mac, etc. When you're all done, you'll be running Leopard from an external drive.

You should probably immediately use the Spotlight and Time Machine system preferences to set things up correctly. Your goal here is to prevent the computer from bogging down (and the fans from spinning up) by immediately indexing and backing up a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

You now have an external firewire drive that can boot your computer into Leopard. Remember to "put away" this drive properly before turning it off or unhooking it from the computer! To revert to Tiger, for example, you would use System Preferences to select the computer's internal drive as your startup drive, then restart the computer (booting into Tiger), and then, when the Finder has come up and you can see the external drive, you can "eject" the external drive. Then, and only then, you may disconnect it or shut it down.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 10:41:09 pm »

I thought everything worked until I tried to print with the 3800.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
if you're printing via an ethernet network:

I'm printing to my 3850 over ethernet/wifi/ethernet from 10.5 without problems but there's a hitch. you can't add the printer using Default/Bonjour. you need to:
  • download and install Epson's driver for the 3800; currently version 3.5cE
  • System Preferences/Print & Fax/Add Printer -> click on the More Printers button.
  • choose Epson TCP/IP. the 3800 should momentarily appear in the list.
  • select the printer and click Add.
the ColorSync profiles and everything else should work as usual.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:43:16 pm by Gregory »
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »

You can also print via USB....I just did. But yes, you need to use Printers & Faxsince Printer Setup Utility is gone as a separate app and the function is now in Printers & Faxes...
Pages: [1]   Go Up