Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: P45+ Mamiya report  (Read 24395 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 08:37:40 pm »

Hi
Are you using the AFDII body? If you are you can separate the focus from the shutter release button. You can either have the focus on the front or rear of the body. For your street work this set up would be a big advantage.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 03:42:34 am »

Now here is a 100% unsharpened crop of the gentleman at the centre of the picture, showing the quality of the Mampy focus, and the sharpness of the whole system, and the lovely film-like grain. Typically, a DSLR image would balckout the underside of the hat brim.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Besides some moire in the upper part of the hat, this is very nice.

Regards,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 03:57:19 am »

Hi Edmund. Love that black and white conversion. The issue you're having with the preview jumping back and forth between vertical and horizontal is not normal (at least, I've never seen it on mine). Not sure how your switches and settings are getting misset - all of the switches seem to be a reasonable compromise between stiffness and ease of operation.

You're comments about IR and UV sensitivity are interesting - are you suggesting it might be useful to use a UV or IR cut filter on the lenses?

I'm still interested in trying one of your profiles. I never heard back from you after I sent you the sample images you requested.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mort, I'll send you the test profile I will make of my own back as soon as I manage to get enough natural light to create it.

I'll investigate the IR/UV issue carefully; it will take me some time though.  

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 04:46:38 am »

Hi
Are you using the AFDII body? If you are you can separate the focus from the shutter release button. You can either have the focus on the front or rear of the body. For your street work this set up would be a big advantage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Denis, I tried separating focus-lock and shutter on my Canons but could never get the hang of it and so gave up, although this seems to be the setup of most action shooters. I use half press even catwalk shoots where I track with a tele. for What's the major advantage over a half-pressed shutter ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 07:45:51 am »

Denis, I tried separating focus-lock and shutter on my Canons but could never get the hang of it and so gave up, although this seems to be the setup of most action shooters. I use half press even catwalk shoots where I track with a tele. for What's the major advantage over a half-pressed shutter ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
My Canon is always set up this way. It allows you to re frame & not having to refocus again. I find it gives me more freedom plus the Mamiya is always set in AF mode. I prefer the Mamiya lenses that have the push pull click on the lens body(55-110, 150, 200 mm) or a switch (35mm). I find it makes the transition from the Mamiya to the Canon seamless with rear button focus.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:47 pm »

Mort, I'll send you the test profile I will make of my own back as soon as I manage to get enough natural light to create it.

I'll investigate the IR/UV issue carefully; it will take me some time though. 

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am convinced digital photography brings out veins under the skin

I bought an IR UV cut filter for my 80 and sinarback

Cannot see ANY difference at all with or without

maybe three in a stack would have an affect

But it does look quite funky on the camera

now a red filter (ie a blue cut)  would cut would darken all non red items and in effect lighten reddy areas like bad skin

given a grey card shot at the time to bring the colours back ??

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

eronald

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 01:15:50 pm »

You can see the veins clearly in some of the advertising imagery; on the other hand, heroin chic leaves the girls with very little subcutaneous fat.

The place to look for an IR effect is in the blacks, eg. synthetic clothes which will look the same as other materials to your eyes, but not in the photos. However, if the camera profiles have been heavily edited this effect may have been minimised, with damaged normal-color rendition as a result. For instance my magnta-minimised P30+ portrait profile will certainly render real world magenta flowers with less saturation.

I'd say that to get good color rendition with an IR filter fitted you should use a profile made with the filter. If you get a filter, send me a spare one for my 80mm and I'll wave the profiling fee

Edmund

I am convinced digital photography brings out veins under the skin

I bought an IR UV cut filter for my 80 and sinarback

Cannot see ANY difference at all with or without

maybe three in a stack would have an affect

But it does look quite funky on the camera

now a red filter (ie a blue cut)  would cut would darken all non red items and in effect lighten reddy areas like bad skin

given a grey card shot at the time to bring the colours back ??

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:18:43 pm by eronald »

etrump

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 05:21:50 pm »

Thanks for this post.  

I just returned from a month long photo trip which was the first real test of my 645AFD and P30+ back.  (Not being a pro I couldn't swing the P45+)

Your findings are very similar to mine.  The overall quality, range and detail are substantially better than the Canon 5D I replaced.

I found the metering to be better than expected but it could be that the additional DR made it seem so.

Even though I have a pretty full kit of lenses I found myself using the 50-110 lens for about 80% of the shots.

Now if I could just get my hands on the 28mm.  
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

eronald

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 09:15:42 pm »

Even though I have a pretty full kit of lenses I found myself using the 50-110 lens for about 80% of the shots.

Now if I could just get my hands on the 28mm. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm looking for a replacement for my Canon 85mm/1.2 for the 645. Anyone here have suggestions ? I prefer AF and primes.

Edmund

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:41 pm »

the 120 macro will be the closest with your back. But it's MF.
I think it's a really good lens.
Or the 150mm/3.5 AF but I do not know nothing about it.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 12:57:42 am »

I'm looking for a replacement for my Canon 85mm/1.2 for the 645. Anyone here have suggestions ? I prefer AF and primes.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

I very highly recommend the Mamiya 80mm f/1.9. It gives you perhaps more shallow DOF than the 50 f/1.2 for Canon. It is manual focus and stepped down metering. If you cannot find it new, it is on Ebay very cheap. Frank Doorhof recently posted on his webpage on that lens. For portraits it works great by foot focus . It is also rather light weight.

Regards
Anders

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 02:57:10 am »

The place to look for an IR effect is in the blacks, eg. synthetic clothes which will look the same as other materials to your eyes, but not in the photos.Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I disagree - there is some affect going on in the guys face - this is not unique to your photo or even your camera or even phase

My suspicion is that it is UV or IR 'leak'

and an IR cut filter wont sort it

Maybe it is not IR or UV but it is not nice

S

David Blankenship

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 09:53:27 am »

I disagree - there is some affect going on in the guys face - this is not unique to your photo or even your camera or even phase

My suspicion is that it is UV or IR 'leak'

and an IR cut filter wont sort it

Maybe it is not IR or UV but it is not nice
S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sam,

That was the point I was trying to make early. The red circles you drew are exactly what I was talking about.  

db

amsp

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 11:13:34 am »

I think it looks like the normal places a person would be a bit red on chilly day, especially if you are working your face muscles singing like that guy, but you can easily even that out a bit with some RAW adjustments. I don't see the big fuss. It seems like some expect the same smoothness in skin tone on "regular" people straight out of the camera as a retouched commercial for make-up. Ain't gonna happen. Joe Schmoe just isn't that picture perfect. JMHO.

godtfred

• http://
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 12:05:10 pm »

...the same smoothness in skin tone on "regular" people straight out of the camera as a retouched commercial for make-up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is my experience as well. At first I thought it was "digital" but now when I encounter it, if I go up to a person in my studio, and view the skin, parts of it will ofthen have a slight red/magenta tone (in need of some makeup.)

-axel
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:05:55 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Snook

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 12:12:13 pm »

Not to mention if he has a couple of whiskey after the BIG street show for many years you get that effect also.. Probably smokes too..:+}
Looks like skin problems of the guy, Not to blame the Back or Camera...  
Snook

Natasa Stojsic

P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 12:15:05 pm »

I think it looks like the normal places a person would be a bit red on chilly day, especially if you are working your face muscles singing like that guy, but you can easily even that out a bit with some RAW adjustments.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe you are right, because you can see it in his eyes ยป he needs NeoCitron
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 02:07:35 pm »

This is my experience as well. At first I thought it was "digital" but now when I encounter it, if I go up to a person in my studio, and view the skin, parts of it will ofthen have a slight red/magenta tone (in need of some makeup.)

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149573\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have seen this on twenty year old non smoking non starved models

I even got eyebags on a six year old kid recently

I believe the cameras exagerate the effect - it is there - but really shows with digital

It seems like a 2% darkening in the skin colour of the model equates to a 10% darkening in the file

S

ps this is a very european phenomenon - I photographed an agrentinian with gold skin and couldnt even find anywhere to retouch
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:09:36 pm by Morgan_Moore »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 02:18:24 pm »

I believe the cameras exagerate the effect - it is there - but really shows with digital

It seems like a 2% darkening in the skin colour of the model equates to a 10% darkening in the file

That will happen if you boost contrast either globally with curves/levels or locally with large-radius USM. Either will intensify the visibility of any skin blemishes.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
P45+ Mamiya report
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 02:24:23 pm »

I agree with the above posts on both sides of the IR issue.  I think digital can be a lot less flattering than film was for people - partly because in some areas/colors its too accurate (and we are not used to seeing it that way) and in other colors/areas its not accurate or exaggerated - so both too right and too wrong in the same file.  Sharpness is another issue.  I find the focus apex to be just a bit tighter with digital than film - so in portions of the image every pore, every flaw in the skin is visible - not so flattering either.  

Questions are why and what can we do?  I don't see the IR filters helping much.  It's a bit of a pain to retouch every image so something along the lines of a skin profile would help. I don't find the ones phase supplied me for my P20 to be of much help.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:26:29 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up