Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Firmware TR12-TR_06_00_00-8 is out  (Read 26226 times)

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Z3100 Firmware TR12-TR_06_00_00-8 is out
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 10:23:58 am »

Ron,

I don't know if mixing has changed, but I do know that there's more options in the custom paper menus.  I'm re-calibrating and re-profiling anyway as with the start of heating season humidity is much lower in my studio now.  And I've got a lot of new media to test.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 02:21:44 pm »

Thanks, Ron ...

Yes, I noticed that the old HP .OMS downloadable "new" media presets (like Fine Art Pearl Paper - less ink) are now grouped into their appropriate categories in the printer front control panel when you list paper types, or select a paper type to load.  However, they do NOT show up in the Mac OS print dialog (still shows the old stuff).

My problem is that MY new custom papers based on, for example, Fine Art Pearl Paper - less ink DO actually show up in the Mac OS print dialog under custom ... (and only with the PCL3 driver; with the PS driver there are NO custom papers even listed in grey!) ... (no, they are not elsewhere under the other paper types) BUT .....they are not selectable "greyed out" and therefore not usable.

Thanks for your assistance ... let me know if you can actually select NEW custom papers that you create after the new firmware was installed ... and how you got it to work ... thanks again!

DDH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
DDH-
We seem to be getting different results, neither of which is appropriate.  I have no grayed out choices in the print dialog box (within the Print Quality tab, under paper types) and have all of the other new paper types in my paper list, but no Pearl type media that IS showing up in the control panel of my printer.  My earlier custom paper types (including the Custom Pearl preset) are still where they always were and are not grayed out.  For some reason, though, the papers listed under Fine Art end with Fine Art >250 gsm and do not include the new non-custom Pearl paper types.  Weird.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 02:50:47 pm »

Did y'all try a "paper list synchronization" ?

dhoelscher

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 04:58:50 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Sean,

Yep ...

DDH

dhoelscher

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 05:00:25 pm »

DDH-
We seem to be getting different results, neither of which is appropriate.  I have no grayed out choices in the print dialog box (within the Print Quality tab, under paper types) and have all of the other new paper types in my paper list, but no Pearl type media that IS showing up in the control panel of my printer.  My earlier custom paper types (including the Custom Pearl preset) are still where they always were and are not grayed out.  For some reason, though, the papers listed under Fine Art end with Fine Art >250 gsm and do not include the new non-custom Pearl paper types.  Weird.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron,

Are you talking about the Postscript driver or raster/PCL3 driver?

When I use the PS driver - NO custom paper types show up at all in the print dialog.

When I use the PCL3 driver - custom paper types show up in the pop-up quality menu, but are "greyed" out.

Just to clarify ....

DDH
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:00:53 pm by dhoelscher »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 06:09:30 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I updated the paper list, via the Manage Papers window of HP Printer Utility.  That is when the new papers showed up on my printer control panel and in the Printer Utility window.  For some reason, though, the list is only partially updated in the printer driver.

I just called HP Tech Support and was told that their phone lines lit up with this issue this morning.  It is a known problem now, and apparently manifests itself as grayed out choices with the raster driver and missing choices with the PS PPD.  

The tech person I spoke with, Joseph, said that they are pulling the firmware update down from the HP website soon and will need to address the problem with another update.  He said that HP does not recommend updating the firmware without updating the driver (!) and that we should expect a new one for Windoze in a week or so and Macintosh sometime later.  For me, with a Mac and the PS version of the printer, I should not hold my breath for anything particularly soon from HP.

I'm thinking that I can make it work, though, with what I have if I trick the PPD into providing the printer with the right info.  With the update, I can now create multiple papers with the formerly custom paper types that are now standard paper types, so I don't need to recalibrate each time when using multiple versions of the same paper type (Pearl, in my case).  As long as I enter a paper type with the same head height, ink limiting and GE setting, I should be able to work around the issue, as long as I calibrated and profiled with the settings that are now updated in the printer and paper list within HP Printer Utility.

That's all I know for now,
Ron H.
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 08:53:58 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Ron.  That's really great to know.  Now I'm kind of glad I waited.

I checked the site and the firmware is still available.  Hopefully we'll see it withdrawn from the website to confirm the reps story.  I wondered why the driver never got put up.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 09:30:35 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Ron.  That's really great to know.  Now I'm kind of glad I waited.

I checked the site and the firmware is still available.  Hopefully we'll see it withdrawn from the website to confirm the reps story.  I wondered why the driver never got put up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I asked him why they bothered with having an email notification program if they didn't use it, relying on our own word of mouth to spread the fact that there is a new firmware update.  His reply was pretty funny, before he caught himself.  He said that there are two types of users of these machines: pros and amateurs.  To implied that they were concerned that amateurs might hurt themselves with new firmware, whereas pros would know what to do with it.  When he realized that he had just inadvertently insulted me, he dropped that line of thought pretty quickly.  I was already pretty worn out from three different accidental hangups from HP in transferring my calls, and a trip to the "color center" tech for no reason, so it wasn't worth pursuing the argument with him.  The color guy, who eventually kicked me back to Mac support when he couldn't help me, said that he hadn't updated his printer or computer with the new firmware himself.  I thought that was a little curious.

I asked both guys if there was any written documentation about the new firmware and neither knew of any, nor knew themselves what changes had been implemented, aside from the new paper types.

The bottom line for me is that I can now print with more paper types that were previously called Custom, as long as I choose the right substitute paper type to fool the PS driver.  Since it has not been updated, it doesn't get all of the new paper options from the printer.  I can have multiple brands of paper with the same paper preset of Pearl or one of the other Custom papers and have a separate calibration for each, just like other papers now.

I also tested the deckled edge feature, and while challenging to load, it is now possible.  With so little to align the side of the paper with when correcting paper skew, it is important that the deckled edge be square with the side of the paper.  Without being able to align the deckled edge with the blue line, you have little hope of ever making the printer happy enough to complete the paper load.  I saw no sign of a manual override option that was previously discussed for paper loading as a new feature.

Was there also not a discussion about being able to bypass the paper presets and manually adjusting ink limiting with this new firmware?  I can't figure out how, if so.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 10:25:40 pm »

Was there also not a discussion about being able to bypass the paper presets and manually adjusting ink limiting with this new firmware?  I can't figure out how, if so.

-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would expect ink limiting to be in the new driver.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 11:41:56 am »

I would expect ink limiting to be in the new driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I guess that makes sense.  For some reason, I was expecting that to be an option at the time of calibration and profiling.  If it is a variable we can control at the back end of the process, vs. having to reprofile, it would seem to offer more flexibility with it being much easier to experiment with different settings, so that sounds better.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:51 pm »

I guess that makes sense.  For some reason, I was expecting that to be an option at the time of calibration and profiling.  If it is a variable we can control at the back end of the process, vs. having to reprofile, it would seem to offer more flexibility with it being much easier to experiment with different settings, so that sounds better.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149562\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the way it was done with my Epson print drivers.  

On the Z the ink load is currently controlled through the choice of paper type.  Making it part of the profiling may have some advantages but could complicate things and cause us to print a lot of targets and make lots of profiles.
Regards,
Ron

Jon Abbott

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 12:40:54 pm »

No new drivers yet, just the firmware.  Have I missed something?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All the new firmware (6.0.0.7), drivers (61.71.841.0), and printer utility (1.4) are now finally on the HP US website!

rdonson

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 01:55:06 pm »

All the new firmware (6.0.0.7), drivers (61.71.841.0), and printer utility (1.4) are now finally on the HP US website!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Man, I just hate HP's websites.  I don't see the new firmware, drivers or pinter utility, just the same old stuff.  I can see the new PDFs for the version 6 goodies though.

This company seriously needs someone who knows how to design websites and can relate to humans.
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 01:58:12 pm »

HP new driver 5.1 ( mac) ready for download- the pdf is a bit brief...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:27:18 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 02:00:45 pm »

Agreed about HP's website, Ron.  I found the new stuff by starting with the firmware upgrade panel in HP Printer Utility.  You are supposet to update firmware before driver, anyway.  From the page you download the new firmware you will see links to the other new software.
Be sure to grab a cup or two of coffee as it all downloads,
Ron H.
-Ron H.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:30 pm »

Hmm, my Z3100 shows firmware TR12-TR_6.0.0.8 on Windows after installing the file TR12-TR_06_00_00-8_mvl31-x86-opt_B.EXE - but now I see only the version 6.0.0.7 on the HP website.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:06:04 pm by ThomasK »

rdonson

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 02:07:37 pm »

Agreed about HP's website, Ron.  I found the new stuff by starting with the firmware upgrade panel in HP Printer Utility.  You are supposet to update firmware before driver, anyway.  From the page you download the new firmware you will see links to the other new software.
Be sure to grab a cup or two of coffee as it all downloads,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll probably have to start the same way.  Their website is pretty useless.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 02:14:09 pm »

The new HP docs are interesting and informative at least.  Gotta find the new tech note on "working with non-hp papers" now.

6.0.0.7 - Aug 31st

Firmware changes
• Ragged Edges sheet loading.
• Being able to export custom papers.
• Ink Limit reduction.
• New paper presets.

Driver/Printer Utility changes
• Windows Vista Supported.
• Change from HP Easy Printer Care to Printer Utility in Windows.

New functionality:
• The skew check for sheet loading can be disabled. So now you will be able
to load ragged edges sheets.
• Custom papers can be exported: The custom paper presets you create
using the Printer Utility can be exported and then installed to other z3100
printers.
• Capacity to reduce the amount of ink that is put on the paper: Ink limits
functionality through the Printer Utility.
For more information about these new functionalities refer to their specific
technical notes (Export paper presets, Ragged Edges and New Version of
Adding Custom Paper).

New paper presets:
Several paper presets have been added, so more options are available when
using 3rd party papers. Most of these new papers presets were available in
previous release as a download package.
• Fine Art Pearl Paper (less ink)
• Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink)
• Photo Gloss Paper (less ink)
• Photo Gloss Paper (more ink)
• Photo Semi-Gloss/Satin Paper (less ink)
• Photo Semi-Gloss/Satin Paper (more ink)
The Fine Art Pearl Paper has been moved from Custom Papers to the Fine Art
category. Then you will be able to create a Custom Paper from it. Also HP
papers can be cloned to create Custom Papers.
For more information, please refer to the Working with non-hp papers technical
note (the updated version for release 6.0.0.7).

Connectivity:
• Incorrect part number of light cyan cartridge reported from the embedded
web server (the correct one is C9390A).
© HEWLETT-PACKARD 2007 PAGE 4 OF 10
• IO configuration was not correctly set to defaults when using the “Reset to
Factory Defaults”.
• Fixed the issue that did not allow opening the printer usage page from
Printer Utility with USB connection.
• Being able to do a paper presets upgrade or a firmware upgrade when the
file name contains spaces.
• Fixed an issue that cause that the accounting generation failed when one
record contains a job cancelled by user and the setting “Send accounting
report” is activated.
• Accounting information was erased when a hard reset (cable unplugged)
was produced.
• Improve the stability of the printer in a stress multi-user environment.

Win:
The HP Easy Printer Care is not supported any more (last supported
version is 2.1). The Printer Utility will be used instead – This new utility has
similar functionality to the HP Easy Printer care, but only supports Designjet
printers. The advantages of this new tool are:
• Performance improvements: The Printer Utility takes less time to open the
application and get the information about all the printers.
• The mechanism to discover automatically installed printers has been
improved.
• When creating a custom paper type with the cutter set to off, the setting was
ignored.
• It is possible to create an ICC Profile or a custom media type for a printer
that is installed in a client/server environment, or when the printer has been
searched manually with the Find Other Printers feature.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 02:47:50 pm »

Still no new PS driver (PPD), only a new Raster Driver and no new Printer Utility for Mac either . . .
-Ron H.
<edit>  I found the new PPD, but no change in the Printer Utility for Mac.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:58:39 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 03:04:09 pm »

From the HP PDF on the new firmware:

• Calibrating and Profiling your papers is strongly recommended after each firmware upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:04:27 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up