Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will migrate to OSX Leopard... and how?  (Read 14489 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Who will migrate to OSX Leopard... and how?
« on: October 25, 2007, 08:21:05 pm »

Dear all,

I am sure that most Mac OSX users around here are wondering just like me whether there is value in migrating to Leopard, how it should be done and what is the best timing for this.

1. Value

My hope would be:

- performance enhancement thanks to a better usage of multicore machines like my 8 cores Mac Pro. Any benchamarks showing real world speed gains in applications like PS, PTgui, Helicon,...?

- True 64 bits core opening the door to more 64 bits application with better memory Mgt for large data. This is not in a hurry since those applications are just not there yet unfortunately.

- some productivity enhancement thanks to features like document preview, better spotlight and a more robust boot drive back up thanks to the time machine.

Anything else that would be of value for photographers?

2. Migration

Since my Mac is a critical piece of my workflow, any significant downtime resulting from the migration would be a real bummer.

What I am mostly concerned about is:

- driver for key hardware like the SCSI320 card connecting to the external Wiebetech disk unit,
- internal RAID1 disk,
- applications readiness for Leopard,

Doing a backup before migrating seems to be the most reasonnable thing to do, but I want to maximize the chances that things work OK the first time.

Any feedback on this would be useful.

Regards,
Bernard

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:36:34 pm »

I've learnedthe hard way that jumping into a major OS change should not be done in a hurry nor when you have mission critical work to get done (the same holds for major app upgrades as well).

I'm going to clone my internal drive including all apps and system to an external FW HD and do the update on that to test all the apps, drivers, etc before I commit to doing an upgrade on the main internal boot drive. And...I may not actually commit to 10.5 until AFTER enough evidence has come in to indicate that 10.5 is ready for prime time. Maybe around 10.5.1 time frame...

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:23:33 am »

MacFixit.com has some valuable insight into the options available for a smoother, safer transition.  They go into a bit more detail about what Jeff describes, which is how the beta testers apparently used it and how I will most likely ease into 10.5 myself.  Cautious optimism from me on it.  
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:20:13 am »

I'm going to clone my internal drive including all apps and system to an external FW HD and do the update on that to test all the apps, drivers, etc before I commit to doing an upgrade on the main internal boot drive.
That's the best and safest way to handle a major OS upgrade. Cloning is easy with tools like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Doing a backup before migrating seems to be the most reasonnable thing to do, but I want to maximize the chances that things work OK the first time.

Clone your boot drive and upgrade/test on your cloned system, just as Jeff suggested above. If you encounter some bugs (and you will), just reboot your Mac on the internal HD.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:24:29 am by francois »
Francois

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:57:27 am »

I've learnedthe hard way that jumping into a major OS change should not be done in a hurry nor when you have mission critical work to get done (the same holds for major app upgrades as well).

I'm going to clone my internal drive including all apps and system to an external FW HD and do the update on that to test all the apps, drivers, etc before I commit to doing an upgrade on the main internal boot drive. And...I may not actually commit to 10.5 until AFTER enough evidence has come in to indicate that 10.5 is ready for prime time. Maybe around 10.5.1 time frame...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

10.5.1.... so eager, Jeff?     I usually wait ´til 10.*.3 or so after any major update before even thinking about it - and then only when people report that the important 3rd part apps work without problems (LR, PS, Curio, Omni Outliner, ChronoSync...), and of course printer & scanner drivers.

Also, I make a clone even before any "third position" upgrades, and store that clone away.  Jeff´s variety seems even safer.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:59:55 am by Per Ofverbeck »
Per Ofverbeck
My

GregW

• http://
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:43:51 am »

With more than 20 years of Mac ownership behind me I can only endorse the previous posts.

1.  Clone your system first using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.  Even Disk Utility will get the job done.

2.  Try and get it on an older or non critical machine first to get some experience of how your apps and OS the will function.

3.  Don't be in a hurry to get it on your productive machines.  The main macsites like fixit and macworld will soon have upgrade guides and advice.  Let them make the mistakes and discover the problems first.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:44:14 am by GregW »

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 11:48:03 am »

I would add that "obvious" bugs will be uncovered in the next few days but the nasty ones will take longer (device drivers, printers etc...) and solutions might be weeks away.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:48:57 am by francois »
Francois

garyfcampbell

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:46:37 pm »

Hi,

I did jump in and installed Leopard on my Intel Mac.

So far the Z3100 works fine, although I had to re-add it as a printer.

Nikon Scan 4.0.2 is dead, it faults on start up.

That is the only problem to date.

Gary

LA30

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:41 pm »

If you are a working Pro I would wait a SOLID 3 months or longer to shake all the bugs out.  Why chance it?  It is that better/faster???

Ken

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:10:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My exact strategy as well.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:13:06 pm »

If you are a working Pro I would wait a SOLID 3 months or longer to shake all the bugs out.  Why chance it?  It is that better/faster???

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never seen an Apple OS X release that required this type of waiting.  I've never waited more than a week and never had a problem.

We've been running 10.5 through it's paces in our IT dept today with no problems so far.

Personally I don't think I can wait 3 months ... this release has so much stuff that I really want  now !   Spaces, Stacks, Time Machine ... so much cool stuff

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:00:24 am »

Personally I don't think I can wait 3 months ... this release has so much stuff that I really want  now !   Spaces, Stacks, Time Machine ... so much cool stuff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there ARE some mouth-watering aspects, to be sure.  But at 10.4.10, Tiger is a good and mature OS that purrs contentedly under the hood (there are even rumours about 10.4.11 coming shortly), and with a few 3rd part additions, like Fruit Menu, it is extremely convenient to use.
Per Ofverbeck
My
Pages: [1]   Go Up