Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar Help  (Read 3768 times)

kodakdog

Sinar Help
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:11:38 pm »

Hi all, this is a message that I have sent to Sinar.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated:

Sinar,
My studio has had a 54M digital back since it first came out.  We have had countless problems with CaptureShop 5 on different computers.  Depending on which camera we are using, Hasselblad H1 or Fuji GX680, the back/software will only work on certain and different computers.  In our studio we have two G5 towers, two iMacs and one G4 laptop.  The Hasselblad will only work, without problems, on either one of the iMacs or the laptop.  The Fuji is another story.

On our last location shoot in New York city, we rented a G5 and had the same problem as we have always had, we shoot a few images and the program crashes.  I put a call into Colin at Sinar  in New Jersey, but he wasn't in and no one else could help us, we left him a message for some help but we never heard from him.  Luckily we had our laptop with us, it was slow, but it worked.
I now need to shoot in New York again, and we are faced with the same problem and decision.  Should we bring our back with hopes that it will work on the computer we rent, or do I just rent a PhaseOne back and know that it should work without any problems, or at the worst case be able to get ahold of someone that can fix any unexpected problem.  This of course, leads to the biggest question, why keep the Sinar back if it is so unreliable??

In answering my email, hopefully you will, put yourself in my shoes.  On location (NYC), week of shooting, major high profile international client, really, what do you do?

Please advise.

Paul Craig
JCHstudio.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:13:14 pm by kodakdog »

PdF

Sinar Help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:42:16 pm »

Wich version of CS5 did you use ? I don't have problems wich the new 5.5.1, who resolve some problems... It works fine with G4's and with a Dual Core Intel. I've never used a G5 !

The Sinar site allows also to charge the Firmware Sinarback 54 & 43... maybe it could help you.

Is it a FireWire version, or the first one, with the fiberoptic connection ?

PdF
PdF

awofinden

Sinar Help
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »

Wich version of CS5 did you use ? I don't have problems wich the new 5.5.1, who resolve some problems... It works fine with G4's and with a Dual Core Intel. I've never used a G5 !

The Sinar site allows also to charge the Firmware Sinarback 54 & 43... maybe it could help you.

Is it a FireWire version, or the first one, with the fiberoptic connection ?

PdF
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

do what I did, sell your 54M on ebay, buy a P21 and never look back.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Sinar Help
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:40:46 pm »

There is a new CaptureShop 5.5.1

Sinar CaptureShop™ 5.5.1
Read Me

b. The communication stability of the Sinarback 54 MC and
54 M has been improved. A new firmware version is automatically
being installed when such a Sinarback is connected
for the first time

c. When using a Sinarback eVolution 75 H or a Sinarback
54 MC / M on a Fuji GX 680 camera or on a Sinar p3 camera,
the AUX connector of the respective camera adapter
now is supported

d. When using a Sinarback eVolution 75 H or a Sinarback
54 MC / M on a 4x5" non-Sinar view camera, the AUX
connector of the Graflock camera adapter now is supported
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Sinar Help
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:21:10 pm »

Dear Paul,

Yes, the first questions is which CS version are you using, respectively if the FW of the back is up-to-date.

But, since you are using a 54 M: do both FW ports cause problems? Is one (or the 2) ports faulty?

In order to be able to address your problem I will ask our tech to contact you.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi all, this is a message that I have sent to Sinar.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated:

Sinar,
My studio has had a 54M digital back since it first came out.  We have had countless problems with CaptureShop 5 on different computers.  Depending on which camera we are using, Hasselblad H1 or Fuji GX680, the back/software will only work on certain and different computers.  In our studio we have two G5 towers, two iMacs and one G4 laptop.  The Hasselblad will only work, without problems, on either one of the iMacs or the laptop.  The Fuji is another story.

On our last location shoot in New York city, we rented a G5 and had the same problem as we have always had, we shoot a few images and the program crashes.  I put a call into Colin at Sinar  in New Jersey, but he wasn't in and no one else could help us, we left him a message for some help but we never heard from him.  Luckily we had our laptop with us, it was slow, but it worked.
I now need to shoot in New York again, and we are faced with the same problem and decision.  Should we bring our back with hopes that it will work on the computer we rent, or do I just rent a PhaseOne back and know that it should work without any problems, or at the worst case be able to get ahold of someone that can fix any unexpected problem.  This of course, leads to the biggest question, why keep the Sinar back if it is so unreliable??

In answering my email, hopefully you will, put yourself in my shoes.  On location (NYC), week of shooting, major high profile international client, really, what do you do?

Please advise.

Paul Craig
JCHstudio.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:53:26 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Sinar Help
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 01:45:53 am »

My studio has had a 54M digital back since it first came out.  We have had countless problems with CaptureShop 5 on different computers.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think there might be a missing bit from what you are saying here..

You do not clarify if your back works with solidly another software (CS4n) for example

If this is the case I doubt you have bad firewire leads/ports or some other physical/mechanical problem

I also dont know why you are talking about 5.1 when there is 5.5 available FOC now

My E22 ran fine on eyelike software and not on CS5 1-5 which IMO  was to do with that software stressing out my little computer

It sounds like you have decent computers, unlike me so I doubt you have the same issues

I say again if the back works fine with a different software or other computers it is IMO unlikely to be a phisicaly problem with the back or the FW

barking up that tree could waste you time

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Sinar Help
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:50:57 am »

Dear Paul,

Our Tech has contacted Colin, who told us that he had tried to call you several times but nobody picked-up the call. He left a message. They shall try to contact you again.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi all, this is a message that I have sent to Sinar.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated:

Paul Craig
JCHstudio.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up