Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size and resolution shoud I give out?  (Read 8603 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
What size and resolution shoud I give out?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 02:03:14 am »

If you give them a 72dpi file at 600 x 600 maximum they won't be able to print crap, or rather, they will be able to print crap. I've decided that I'll give them the files they want printed on a disk at 72dpi and 600 maximum size.

It just doesn't seem right to keep people from sharing their photos on the web via email or their websites, such as myspace. a 600 pixel by 72dpi file compressed to the verge of pixelation will not print well at all. It will look like a 16 color gif.

I've tested/ played around, and realized that if I give out a reduced file size, someone can just uprez and sharpen the image and make any file size they want anyway. It wont be quite as good, but it could make a decent 16x20 photo, so what's the point? I don't see the extra energy expened worth it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 08:04:13 am »

thanks DW, but if anyone really want to help with coherent answer please pipe in
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149030\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems like a lot of people have already given you very good responses and you may not be aware of it. Most of the pros here are thinking clients, but it sounds like you are only talking about giving files to models for their portfolio and not real clients. Why not just make an 8x10 and give them that plus small files for web use like 600x600 pixels max.
Rolleiflex USA

kevs

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 02:37:06 pm »

Thanks good tips.
yes, the only  solution is to give prints, but I've gotten so used to the ease of just giving large jpegs of the whole shoot to models, actors, hair and make up people etc. just so easy, and then then can decide what they like later.

The whole issue here, is that after a couple of years of doing this, than I now may want to sell some of these images on a new fine art site, and the worry, or maybe paranoia, if you want to call it, is now all these folks have essentially the files floating around.

In film days, non issue, you had the only negative.

So that's the impetus of this post. ie, someone with bad intentions could market my shots...

But I think I'm just not going to worry about it.  I don't want the hassle of printing, and limiting what they can look over, and reducing file and pixel size as I don't think that works anyway.

Please feel free to comment.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 03:34:00 am »

One thing wrong with giving clients large prints is that you will need to process every file you give out, unless you want them floating around without processing (i.e., cropping, RAW adjustments, touch ups, etc.), plus you can never tell who will print them. I'd be more worried about people seeing your photography and thinking it's shit.

Thanks good tips.
yes, the only  solution is to give prints, but I've gotten so used to the ease of just giving large jpegs of the whole shoot to models, actors, hair and make up people etc. just so easy, and then then can decide what they like later.

The whole issue here, is that after a couple of years of doing this, than I now may want to sell some of these images on a new fine art site, and the worry, or maybe paranoia, if you want to call it, is now all these folks have essentially the files floating around.

In film days, non issue, you had the only negative.

So that's the impetus of this post. ie, someone with bad intentions could market my shots...

But I think I'm just not going to worry about it.  I don't want the hassle of printing, and limiting what they can look over, and reducing file and pixel size as I don't think that works anyway.

Please feel free to comment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kevs

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 11:53:57 am »

that is not a big worry as I have lot of experince shooting chromes where images are pretty good out of camera.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up