Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: still waiting for my glossy inkjet  (Read 3548 times)

griffithimage

still waiting for my glossy inkjet
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:35:30 pm »

Hi, patiently I still wait for an inkjet equivalent of the Kodak Endura Metallic. The proof is in the putting but can anyone who has had experience with the new Harman FB Glossy and the kodak metallic tell me if the Harman has that lovely punch and metallic "glow".

Thanks

bossanova808

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:35 pm »

Hi, patiently I still wait for an inkjet equivalent of the Kodak Endura Metallic. The proof is in the putting but can anyone who has had experience with the new Harman FB Glossy and the kodak metallic tell me if the Harman has that lovely punch and metallic "glow".

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They're nothing like each other, nor are they designed to be - they're aiming at too different targets - one is air dried fibre silver gelatin look (and the Harman is reasonably close) - this is deliberately NOT a glossy look, and the other is a polyester based superr glossy material more like Ilfochrome.  The only inkjet equivalent (Pictorico Hi Gloss White Film) is sinfully expensive and not very good with pigment inks...

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:22:03 am »

Kodak's Endura Metallic is in a class by itself.  It is not the best media choice for every image, but when printed with the right image, this lab paper really is wonderful.  If Kodak could produce an inkjet equivalent, they'd really be able to take it to the bank.

The new Harman paper is really quite nice......not comparable at all to Endura metallic.

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »

The proof is in the putting
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No it's not.    The historical phrase is "The proof of the pudding is the eating."  This translated from Cervantes' Don Quixote written in 1615 if memory serves.  

But to your point, inkjet prints on any paper, whatever the source or whatever the purpose, will not ever be silver gelatin prints. Nor should they be. Inkjet is a new media with its own look and feel. Inkjet is not wanna-be silver gelatin.

If you really want the look and feel of Kodak Endura Metallic, get thee to the darkroom. Seriously. If you really want that look, why settle for an imitation when you can have the original? It's a completely different workflow, but a workflow capable of spectacular results in its own right.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:40:37 pm »

No it's not.    The historical phrase is "The proof of the pudding is the eating."  This translated from Cervantes' Don Quixote written in 1615 if memory serves.   

But to your point, inkjet prints on any paper, whatever the source or whatever the purpose, will not ever be silver gelatin prints. Nor should they be. Inkjet is a new media with its own look and feel. Inkjet is not wanna-be silver gelatin.

If you really want the look and feel of Kodak Endura Metallic, get thee to the darkroom. Seriously. If you really want that look, why settle for an imitation when you can have the original? It's a completely different workflow, but a workflow capable of spectacular results in its own right.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're right about the historical phrase, but as an avid golfer, the proof really is in the "putting" most of the time

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:50:54 am »

I dunno about the glossy, I have used the matte for color, density range is not great, but the prints are *sharp* in a way I hadn't seen before.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up