Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panoramas using long lens  (Read 1813 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Panoramas using long lens
« on: October 24, 2007, 03:21:18 pm »

Up till earlier this year I shot everything with either a Canon 1Ds or a 1Ds II, landscape, nature and wildlife.  I decided in February to take the leap to MF and found myself a proud owner of a Mamiya 645 AFD II and Phase One P30+.   When shooting landscape and panoramas with 35mm I used all type of lens from wide to very telephoto (one of the last panoramas I did was the sand dunes in Death Valley with a 500mm lens).  Anyway on to the subject - I figured (and still do) that while shooting landscape and panos I would continue to use the lens I felt was best suited, meaning more than likely very long telephotos.  I also know that there would be a learning curve - just didn't know how much.  Anyway, due to various conflicts I just haven't been able to school myself in panos up till recently.   I know that the lens I have work for what I want to capture in single images; what I needed was hands on experience on what to expect when shooting a pano.   If your familiar with my other posts you'll know that we have an upcoming trip to Alaska and I fully expect to do a hell of a lot of panos during the trip so I need to be ready.

We just returned from our second trip to Sequoia National Park in as many months.  We hiked to Moro Rock in September (which was an experience in itself) and saw the potential for a panorama but didn't have the proper equipment.  This trip Moro Rock is closed due to a controlled burn.  No panoramas in the park itself.  What we did do was stop off at a place called Horse Creek Campground for the night after leaving Sequoia.  There I was offered wide open vistas that I took advantage of in perfecting my panos.

I took three series of panos each of the same general area using first the 300 f/2.8 then the 210 and finally the 35mm.  The 300 and 210 were used on RRS pano equipment and the 35 was a shot in the dark quickie handheld.  Very little PP has been done and yes I fully understand that none of these are award willing images my they were my "homework" so to speak.

Enjoy ....

4 shot 300mm (15"x66")[attachment=3638:attachment]

3 shot 210mm (15"x46")[attachment=3639:attachment]

3 shot 35mm (14"x33") [attachment=3636:attachment]  

All images sizes are directly from CS3 no enlargements were made

don
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:24:08 pm by Iron Creek »

vjbelle

Panoramas using long lens
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:04:02 pm »

Don,

I too use the RRS pano stuff with an H2 and P45.  I really wish that the RRS equipment were more robust.  If I use a 210 I have to make sure that everything calms down before beginning my shooting.  I usually take three shots in every pano position to make sure that I get one that is tack sharp.  Any movement, no matter how slight, will cause blurring.  The aircraft aluminum that RRS uses flexes under the weight of my equipment and has caused me to use extreme caution when shooting panos.  

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up