Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ask yaya...  (Read 8439 times)

H1/A75 Guy

Ask yaya...
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:35:47 pm »

Hi Yair,

I thought it would be a good time to shuttle you off io the back room, open some cheap wine, and have a private discussion about Leaf. I have a couple of questions, if you have any thoughts:

1)  Will we ever be able to open an AFi lossless MOS file directly in LC11 without the additional step of the Leaf Raw Converter? That is one reason I never upgraded to an A75s notwithstanding the fact I don't always need a back that cycles faster than my flash.

2)  Will there ever be a single battery grip solution for the AFi?

3)  I understand Leaf uses shooters who provide testimonials on the Leaf website. Would it be possible for Leaf to get a loaner Afi into the hands of a Leaf user on the LL forum (such as Andre Napier) so the rest of us can ask real questions about the Afi?

4)  What do you want me to do with this H and all this glass?

Thanks!
David

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Ask yaya...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:49:29 pm »

Hi Yair,

I thought it would be a good time to shuttle you off io the back room, open some cheap wine, and have a private discussion about Leaf. I have a couple of questions, if you have any thoughts:

1)  Will we ever be able to open an AFi lossless MOS file directly in LC11 without the additional step of the Leaf Raw Converter? That is one reason I never upgraded to an A75s notwithstanding the fact I don't always need a back that cycles faster than my flash.

2)  Will there ever be a single battery grip solution for the AFi?

3)  I understand Leaf uses shooters who provide testimonials on the Leaf website. Would it be possible for Leaf to get a loaner Afi into the hands of a Leaf user on the LL forum (such as Andre Napier) so the rest of us can ask real questions about the Afi?

4)  What do you want me to do with this H and all this glass?

Thanks!
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As John indicates, the .mos files open in in LC11 without running them through the Converter.

Regarding AFi battery grip, right now the AFi grip will power the camera and the Aptus - you can still put a battery on the Aptus, that will just ensure longer run time.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

H1/A75 Guy

Ask yaya...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:04:18 pm »

Thanks John and Steve. I was under the impression that lossless files in the A75s and all 's' series backs would not open immediately in LC11. I'm happy to be wrong on that point. Thanks for the clarification on the Afi battery grip that will also operate the back. It would still be nice to get the AFi in the hands of a working pro to report to others here who are not as fortunate as I to live a couple miles from a Leaf dealer. Just a side note, I have never seen a Sinar back. Up until 2 years ago my dealer had been carrying Sinar/Bron for the preceeding 30 years. The Sinar/Bron representative at the time started sending the store owner form letters instead of making personal phone calls. That was enough to have the store owner stop handling Sinar/Bron on anything other than a special order basis. He had given up on Phase long before that for reliability issues in the early days. Hopefully Leaf will make an effort to stay in personal contact with their dealers.

David

yaya

Ask yaya...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:16:24 am »

Thank you John and Steve for manning the wheel while I was playing sleeping beauty:-)

1. Lossless files can go straight into Lc11, this was always the case since we started using that format

2. As Steve suggested, the battery in the grip provides power to both the camera and back.

3. This is a good idea. Obviously it depends on requests and allocations between the various regions in the world.

As for sending form letter....at least I can say that most of my dealers unfortunately have to see me 1-2 times a week and hear me 1-2 times a day.

BR

Yair

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Ask yaya...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42:25 am »

How about topic nr. 4?

There are a lot of people using the H, I guess you aren't aiming solely for new-comers to MF. How do you guys plan to get them to drop the H and go for the Afi?

What do you expect them to do with the H? You expect people to ditch them on the second hand market or is there some brilliant masterplan?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:44:16 am by Dustbak »

Rune Werner Molnes

• http://www.runemolnes.com
Ask yaya...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 02:52:47 am »

This is good news indeed, regarding the battery.

On the other side, my experience in the field using the Aptus 75, is that the battery runs flat before you know it. If it's cold outside the battery sometimes just lasts for a couple of minutes. Because of this I find myself carrying batteries inside my jacket to keep them warm, and I find it a bit impractical to fish batteries out of my jacket each time something interesting grabs my attention. (And yes, I turn off the back as soon as it's not in use.)

So, do you have plans for a bettery in the league of for instance Canon's 1- series batteries, which just seem to last forever?

I must say, coming from a 1Ds MkII, the world of MF shooting seem to draw a whole lot more attention away from shoothing because of handling issues, battery trouble, error messages etc. (Mamiya/Leaf combo.) Hopefully the AFi will prove to be a good match to Canons 1Ds, with regards to handling and intergration. Hopefully the battery capasity/type will improve in the near future.

Yair, perhaps you could also update us somewhat on the 35mm lens? When do you expect it to be released, and will we be able to use filters on it?

Thanks,

Rune Molnes

Thank you John and Steve for manning the wheel while I was playing sleeping beauty:-)

1. Lossless files can go straight into Lc11, this was always the case since we started using that format

2. As Steve suggested, the battery in the grip provides power to both the camera and back.

3. This is a good idea. Obviously it depends on requests and allocations between the various regions in the world.

As for sending form letter....at least I can say that most of my dealers unfortunately have to see me 1-2 times a week and hear me 1-2 times a day.

BR

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

H1/A75 Guy

Ask yaya...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:43:13 am »

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Yair,

Could you get in touch with the East Coast Rep and ask him (allocation available, of course) if he could get a demo AFi to Andre Napier for a week or two? Nobody has put me up to this, least of all Andre, and althogh Napier is a bit of a rebel, all the bloks on LL listen to him and he does use that WLF. A short hands-on review by Andre would be good for Leaf and all the folks who are active or lurking on LL. I'm sure others on the LL forum would agree with me.

David

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Ask yaya...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:29:16 am »

David,
I am flatter with your idea. Anyways I personally plan to try AFI on my own. I can put my business Amex to guaranty the assets. I very much look forward to use a system with Rollei lenses on it.
Folks from RG should remember that about two years ago I put P25 on Rollei even thought most think it was impossible. We used old H20 housing and machine it to accept new back. In long run it was a too messy to enjoy, but I tried. I personally do not own any Rollei lenses now but should be able to locate some soon.
Andre

Natasa Stojsic

Ask yaya...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:36:42 pm »

As John indicates, the .mos files open in in LC11 without running them through the Converter.

Regarding AFi battery grip, right now the AFi grip will power the camera and the Aptus - you can still put a battery on the Aptus, that will just ensure longer run time.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have asked few or more times about the battery design/relocation/workaround because the battery sticking out of a good looking DB such as Leaf just doesn't look good and it's not practical period.

So, Steve !!!Thanks for the alternative!!!

Do you sell LEAF DBs? I would be interested in NEW A22 or A65s, but the price difference will decide so I'll wait for your answer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:40:29 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

yaya

Ask yaya...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:37:28 pm »

Natasa one of the reasons for the external battery is to allow the use of larger capacity cells, which many people find handy in remote locations.
It also helps in dissipating heat since it does not play as a large, thick heat capacitor inside the back.

Yair

BJNY

Ask yaya...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:58 pm »

A battery on the Aptus digital back also keeps it powered up when taken off the AFi camera body to switch between landscape and portrait orientations.
Guillermo

H1/A75 Guy

Ask yaya...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:46:16 pm »

A battery on the Aptus digital back also keeps it powered up when taken off the AFi camera body to switch between landscape and portrait orientations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair,

Can you give us status on the AFi (Back to Body) Rotating Adaptor Plate?

David

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Ask yaya...
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:13 am »

Hi,
About the batteries.
The Leaf original batteries are indeed somewhat weak and empty rather quick.
I bought some third party batteries for I believe 30.00 Euros.
today I drove arround LA and walked arround downtown, I have had the leaf powered on the complete day.
Shot arround 180 shots and probarbly 5 hours on time.
The battery is still on 75%

I was afraid to run out of power so I bought 3 Leaf and 3 third party batteries, but to be honest with 3 third party ones I cannot imagine to run out

I must admit that it's very warm here at the moment, in the 110 F.
But also to add I'm not used to this temperature in Holland it's always cold so I don't know how it will work in cold weather (will know when I'm back).

yaya

Ask yaya...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:25:00 am »

Yair,

Can you give us status on the AFi (Back to Body) Rotating Adaptor Plate?

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We are working on a solution that will allow to switch between horizontal and vertical capture. However at this point I cannot give any timeframe for it.

Yair

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Ask yaya...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:32:14 am »

We are working on a solution that will allow to switch between horizontal and vertical capture. However at this point I cannot give any timeframe for it.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The basic back will allow mounting in both orientation (with removal) ??

You mean a 'rotating ' adapter in uynder construction (no removal)

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

yaya

Ask yaya...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 01:37:56 am »

Currently the back rotates by taking it off and re-mounting it, similar to how it works on a V-Series Blad

The future solution will not require a removal of the back for changing capture orientation.

Yair

BJNY

Ask yaya...
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 07:17:19 am »

Frank,
Would you post a link to a source for the 3rd party batteries?

Yair,
Any sugestion as to the brand and specs for compatibility?

Thank you.

Hi,
About the batteries.
The Leaf original batteries are indeed somewhat weak and empty rather quick.
I bought some third party batteries for I believe 30.00 Euros.
today I drove arround LA and walked arround downtown, I have had the leaf powered on the complete day.
Shot arround 180 shots and probarbly 5 hours on time.
The battery is still on 75%
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guillermo

Bernd B.

Ask yaya...
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 07:38:51 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you walking alone? Take care with your expensive camera!

Bernd
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:43:23 am by Bernd B. »

Frank Doorhof

Ask yaya...
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 01:24:04 am »

I bought them in the Netherlands but they are sold everywhere, it's a standard battery see your manual and you can see the highpowered numbers.

Somehow the Canon with the 70-200 IS L f2.8 draws more attention than the big, old fashioned () Mamiya.

He man, they make digital now a days (whisper, look at that sucker with that old camera).

deelight

Ask yaya...
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 10:13:13 am »

Frank,
Would you post a link to a source for the 3rd party batteries?

Yair,
Any sugestion as to the brand and specs for compatibility?

Thank you.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is a link to the battery that fits into the Leaf Digital Magazine, it costs about 12 Euro. I  own them, no problems.

[a href=\"http://www.afterbuy.de/afterbuy/shop/storefront/start.aspx?seite=/afterbuy/shop/storefront/produkt.aspx%3Fshopid%3D12788%26produktid%3D1172401]http://www.afterbuy.de/afterbuy/shop/store...uktid%3D1172401[/url]

Here a link to the batteries that fit right onto the Aptus, no problems neither, I own 4 of them. Each is 11 Euro.

http://www.afterbuy.de/afterbuy/shop/store...uktID%3D1276914

Attached is a shot of the latest PDF from the Leaf Website, where the third party battery specs are written.

Best regards from Cologne,

Clem
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:25:29 am by deelight »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up