Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf9100 and Epson 11880  (Read 3579 times)

jpgentry

Canon ipf9100 and Epson 11880
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:09:25 pm »

I'm comparing these two printing technologies.  Has anyone done reviews and how are these two monsters different?  It seems people are too busy to do in-depth reviews on technology items recently.  Very few on the new printers, very few on all the new cameras.

Most importantly I would like to know if Epson has caught Canon when it comes to print speed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:13:16 pm by jpgentry »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:01:08 pm »

I'm comparing these two printing technologies.  Has anyone done reviews and how are these two monsters different?  It seems people are too busy to do in-depth reviews on technology items recently.  Very few on the new printers, very few on all the new cameras.

Most importantly I would like to know if Epson has caught Canon when it comes to print speed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Canon's are pretty easy to evaluate, I believe it is just a "stretched" version of their other printers.  I've been evaluating an ipf6100 for a while, and am really pleased with the output ... I assume the 9100 will match.

The Epson is a complete new beast, includng a major head redesign with several new technologies, some of which are in the smaller printers, but some key ones are unique to the 11880.  There aren't many of these printers out there yet, but rumor is they are beginning to trickle in.  Availability will be a challenge for a while.

Joeseph Holmes has a  pretty thorough write up and some comparisions to previous Epson printers.  Other than that all I've seen is Michael's statement in his article about the 1Ds Mark III.

"... Test prints were made on the brand new Epson 11880 printer, which I am also in the midst of testing. More about this exceptional new printer on these pages in November."

I'd love to compare the two printers but my 11880 hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully I'll still have the Canon when it does, but if not I will be able to print identical prints.

I couldn't quickly find the Canon speeds on the internet, but the 11880 is quite a bit faster than the 9880 according to Epson specs.

The 9800/80 speed for a 20x30 at 1440dpi is 12:00 , the 11880 is 8:17
The 9800/80 speed for a 20x30 at 2880dpi is 23:18,  the 11880 is 13:24

The Canons speed also varies based on the number of passes/quality setting as well.  I'm sure that information is out there, and they may still a little faster, I'm not sure. It doesn't sound like the speed difference is signifcant enough to be a major factor when deciding between the 2.

I'm unsure why the printer is so much more faster percentage wise at 2880 vs 1440, I assume it has something to do with the 11880 having double the nozzles for each color (360 vs 180) and more accurate placement of dots.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:02:39 pm by Wayne Fox »

jpgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:41 am »

Thanks alot Wayne.

Please keep us posted as these come available.  I'm so disappointed at the review sites lately.  It used to be that as soon as new printers and cameras were announced people would be given test copies and start picking them apart and really going in-depth with the differences.  Now from LL to DPreview to others it's just hard to get a real in-depth review.  I guess people are really busy.

I know the 11880 is in some peoples hands but they don't seem to be a big hurry to pick it apart and share the findings.

We'll be waiting for you to get yours and hoping to hear some things about it!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:09:12 am by jpgentry »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:28:33 pm »

Thanks alot Wayne.

Please keep us posted as these come available.  I'm so disappointed at the review sites lately.  It used to be that as soon as new printers and cameras were announced people would be given test copies and start picking them apart and really going in-depth with the differences.  Now from LL to DPreview to others it's just hard to get a real in-depth review.  I guess people are really busy.

I know the 11880 is in some peoples hands but they don't seem to be a big hurry to pick it apart and share the findings.

We'll be waiting for you to get yours and hoping to hear some things about it!

Thanks again!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JP, Michael only received his 11880 very recently, then had a slew of obligations including workshops and his trip to Madagascar. I know he's had no time to evaluate it properly. At the Cramer/Atkinson workshop we produced prints from it - they are stunning, what more can I say - but that is meaningless from a scientific perspective. I think more haste less speed - it is more important for product evaluators to take their time, test thoroughly, test comparatively and then produce robust findings, rather than rushing to publish incomplete or inaccurate material does no-one including themselves a favour. So let us all be patient.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jpgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:59:23 pm »

I'm with you on that.  But take the Canon ipf5100/6100 series of printers.  I've not seen one in depth review that actually got to the nity-grity of how the grain compares to the 5000/8000/9000 printers.  I have the 8000 and find it to be pretty grainy at close examination for photo prints.  Sure the color is awesome, but a less grainy print would be good for 5x7's etc.  

I print mostly canvas but I would love to see some 100% comparison of the grain improvement of the 5100 over the 5000.  That's just an example of a printer that's been out for long enough to see a very in-depth review.  Anyone seen one?

I would like to see how the reds on the new Epson compare to the reds of the Canon's especially when it comes to matte/canvas.

No big deal, I'm just being impaitent as I may have a buyer for my current printer so looking for a direction to move in.

JP, Michael only received his 11880 very recently, then had a slew of obligations including workshops and his trip to Madagascar. I know he's had no time to evaluate it properly. At the Cramer/Atkinson workshop we produced prints from it - they are stunning, what more can I say - but that is meaningless from a scientific perspective. I think more haste less speed - it is more important for product evaluators to take their time, test thoroughly, test comparatively and then produce robust findings, rather than rushing to publish incomplete or inaccurate material does no-one including themselves a favour. So let us all be patient.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148209\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:01:43 pm by jpgentry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up