Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad  (Read 40489 times)

mahleu

• 500px
Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2007, 05:24:40 am »

Which is the monopoly? Canon, Hasselblad or Nikon?

They are each producing a product line of integrated digital camera systems that do not interchange with the others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's clearly easier to put a different back onto a MF camera than it is to do so with a smaller format camera.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:21:01 am by mahleu »

geronimo13

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2007, 05:25:35 am »

Stop whining!

This action from Hasselblad is justified in my eyes. Why should they let other make money on them?

Do you think nikon would start manufacturing a eos - nikon mount so all nikon users can buy nice canon glass? Don't think so!

If you don't like what hasselblad did switch system.

This is a natural business step for them and I'm not surprised at all.

Also they will provide service for 10 years to existing customers which is a pretty good deal.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2007, 06:44:56 am »

Stop whining!

This action from Hasselblad is justified in my eyes. Why should they let other make money on them?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just about what I was going to post. Hasselblad are a business, they want to make money, just like professional photographers want/need to make money. If Phase are taking money out of their pockets in an area where there isn't really a lot of money to start with, it makes sense that they will prevent Phase from profiting off them.

The fact that this may be 'best' for the photographer is simply not relevent to Hasselbald, they are only interested in ensuring their own survival. Which is fair enough and looking at it in those terms what they are doing not only makes sense, but is probably essential to their survival, as the 1DsII has taken a lot of money off people who in the past would have used a MF camera.

Personally I'd like to have the choice of Phase or Hasselbald or whoever backs. But I'd prefer the choice of Hasselblad digital camers vs 35mm Digital compared to the  possible option of Canon Vs Nikon and no MF Digital cameras.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:30 am »

Stop whining!

Do you think nikon would start manufacturing a eos - nikon mount so all nikon users can buy nice canon glass? Don't think so!

If you don't like what hasselblad did switch system.

This is a natural business step for them and I'm not surprised at all.

Also they will provide service for 10 years to existing customers which is a pretty good deal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is not about lenses this about a platform that has been sold and marketed to take third party digital options since day one. The Nikon Canon comparison is silly.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

geronimo13

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

This is not about lenses this about a platform that has been sold and marketed to take third party digital options since day one. The Nikon Canon comparison is silly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148343\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So Hasselblad should continue making the H2 and letting, phase, sinar and leaf profit of them? Is that good business? Don't think so!

Snook

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:06 am »

I would say it sounds like Hassleblad wants to be Monopoly...
That is not good.  
Snook

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:13 am »

Don't think so!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neither is forcing customers along an upgrade path unneccessarily.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:17 am »

So Hasselblad should continue making the H2 and letting, phase, sinar and leaf profit of them? Is that good business? Don't think so!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hasselblad the camera maker should be happy that they sell a camera to any user. The MFDB market is a separate market in which Hasselblad is still free to make a profit by selling backs which people will buy. The problem arises when they attempt to lock out the competition. There are laws against this type of behaviour, so I don't see why some people are supporting it.

see [a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law[/url]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2007, 10:20:10 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are totally overlooking the fact that also Hasselblad back users are affected by this decision.

It is not just the 3rd party backs.

Anybody with a Hasselblad/Imacon back other than the H3 finds himself now without a current Hasselblad camera.

Still, good to read the CF line will be further developed. I am keeping my fingers crossed Hasselblad will come with a H3 Ixpress adapter and the possibility to use functions in their software that are now only in the H3 back.

It was inevitable that Hasselblad would do this however how hard would it have been to inform their customers? Most people I know have registered with Hasselblad with email addresses and equipment. A mail to those that are affected by the discontinuation of the H2 and a list of their options would have been really great marketing & communication!

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2007, 10:30:40 am »

Bernard  AlthoughI do not have the sales data statistics, I think your statements are very logical  and  likely correct.  Most impotantly as you state,  Hasselblad should have been more honest with their planned pathway.   I think it is great that all companies try to improve upon their line and when improvements reach a specific point, they move forward with a new release.  While the public made not be made aware of the specific details before an announcement, the general path of most of these companies is generally pretty clear.   I do not feel this is the case with Hasselblad.   In my opinion,   Paulsen's statements (over recent history) have been disingenuous and this is what is so objectionable. There is no way that last year when he stated the H2 would continue as long as there was  demand was an honest statement. They had to have had the H2F pathway mapped out.  Therefore, moving forward, I will  have little  trust in  him moving forward. Mark

The decline in H2 sales is very much the consequence of the lack of clarity of Hassy as far as the future of the H2 was concerned.

IMHO, there is no doubt that their intention was to kill the H2 from day one. They acted in such a way as to make people stop buying the H2, and are now using sales decline as a justification for their action.

This being said, I have no problem with Hassy deciding to concentrate on a closed system, it is indeed their prerogative. I would have preferred a more clear cut communication from them, instead of the current lukewarm approach.

Overall, I feel that Hassy products are currently still overpriced, like the other MFDB. I am also not sure about their upgrade policy. How much would I have to pay to migrate a H3D39 to an hypothetical H4D55?

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:32:11 am by MarkKay »

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2007, 11:24:33 am »

I usually don't post in discussions along this line but this time I can't help myself!  This letter from Hasselblad is the biggest bunch of marketing hype (bs) I've ever heard.  Why insult our intelligence...why not say "we want to dominate the medium format (not "dslr") market and want to put others out of business and we don't believe in Having choices.  Why not be "open" about it.  I've used Hasselblad for years, first the V system, now the H2 system with a Phase back.  I called one of the head guys at Hasselblad about 6 months ago to let him know how I felt about their "marketing strategies".  All he did was talk non stop (literally) and try to lure me over to the Hassy digital back system.  That's what they'er doing.   Well it's not going to work with me.  I wish everyone would write a letter to Hasselblad and inundate them with complaint letters from their user base.  Just a suggestion.  Eleanor

Quote from: jjj,Oct 24 2007, 10:44 AM
Just about what I was going to post. Hasselblad are a business, they want to make money, just like professional photographers want/need to make money. If Phase are taking money out of their pockets in an area where there isn't really a lot of mone
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »

There is no way that last year when he stated the H2 would continue as long as there was  demand was an honest statement. They had to have had the H2F pathway mapped out.  Therefore, moving forward, I will  have little  trust in  him moving forward. Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe not so. It's often when a company gets taken over by a faceless corporation that the new owners lack a vision what they want to do. They didn't purchase H out of love of photography they bought if for brand value. Now they are out there to cash and eliminating what ever seems to stand in the way of profit. Excel sheet managers don't read forums!
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2007, 01:13:03 pm »

I think all companies want to be the dominant in their respective field.  There is nothing wrong with that.. It is just that there are some ethical issues that in my mind that have been crossed. Stating one thing and then doing another... when the time frame is too short for the company to claim they changed their minds... after the fact.  

Quote from: eleanorbrown,Oct 24 2007, 08:24 AM
I usually don't post in discussions along this line but this time I can't help myself!  This letter from Hasselblad is the biggest bunch of marketing hype (bs) I've ever heard.  Why insult our intelligence...why not say "we want to dominate the medium format (not "dslr") market and want to put others out of business and we don't believe in Having choices.  Why not be "open" about it.  I've used Hasselblad for years, first the V system, now the H2 system with a Phase back.  I called one of the head guys at Hasselblad about 6 months ago to let him know how I felt about their "marketing strategies".  All he did was talk non stop (literally) and try to lure me over to the Hassy digital back system.  That's what they'er doing.   Well it's not going to work with me.  I wish everyone would write a letter to Hasselblad and inundate them with complaint letters from their user base.  Just a suggestion.  Eleanor
Quote from: jjj,Oct 24 2007, 10:44 AM
Just about what I was going to post. Hasselblad are a business, they want to make money, just like professional photographers want/need to make money. If Phase are taking money out of their pockets in an area where there isn't really a lot of mone
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2007, 01:19:04 pm »

Except the Rollei 6008 which has an even faster flash sync, and the Hy6 which is actually on the market now!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't know Hy6 is available now, I was told that dealers would have few copies in mid November, not for sale though just testing.

Maybe I am wrong, but I would love to know where/store is Hy6 available on the market now?
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

juicy

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:43 pm »

Hi!

I think all companies want to be the dominant in their respective field. There is nothing wrong with that.. It is just that there are some ethical issues that in my mind that have been crossed. Stating one thing and then doing another... when the time frame is too short for the company to claim they changed their minds... after the fact.

Maybe they have learned from the politicians...  

Cheers,
J

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2007, 01:26:23 pm »

Dear Natasa,

The Sinar Hy6 is shipping since a few days, first in small quantities and obvioulsy to cover the demonstration needs from our distributors worldwide. With the production capacity increasing this should be done soon.

Those delivered models are series models, no prototypes, thus not only for testing.

Prices are available and orders are taken already.

Best regards,
Thierry

I didn't know Hy6 is available now, I was told that dealers would have few copies in mid November, not for sale though just testing.

Maybe I am wrong, but I would love to know where/store is Hy6 available on the market now?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2007, 01:40:09 pm »

Dear Natasa,

The Sinar Hy6 is shipping since a few days, first in small quantities and obvioulsy to cover the demonstration needs from our distributors worldwide. With the production capacity increasing this should be done soon.

Those delivered models are series models, no prototypes, thus not only for testing.

Prices are available and orders are taken already.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are not going to feel uncomfortable if I ask you to deliver one for me by the end of this week via FedEx?

[span style=\'font-size:12pt;line-height:100%\']I will pay today, just don't be late with the invoice!!![/span]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:40:58 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

Steve Kerman

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2007, 01:54:28 pm »

You are not going to feel uncomfortable if I ask you to deliver one for me by the end of this week via FedEx?

[span style=\'font-size:12pt;line-height:100%\']I will pay today, just don't be late with the invoice!!![/span]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like somebody's coming up on the end of her fiscal year...

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2007, 02:34:32 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Natasa:

Hy6/AFi demonstration units are expected to be received by dealers within 3 to 4 weeks (at least that is what we are expecting).

If anyone needs pricing on Sinar eMotion/Hy6 or Leaf Aptus/AFi configurations, feel free to contact me directly. The main bundle pricing is generally known but I also have complete accessory pricing as well.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

awofinden

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:29 pm »

Natasa:

Hy6/AFi demonstration units are expected to be received by dealers within 3 to 4 weeks (at least that is what we are expecting).

If anyone needs pricing on Sinar eMotion/Hy6 or Leaf Aptus/AFi configurations, feel free to contact me directly. The main bundle pricing is generally known but I also have complete accessory pricing as well.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thats some long shipping time, I thought the guy said they are already shipping?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up