Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad  (Read 40490 times)

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 03:28:58 pm »

I agree, these guys are full of it and I don't think they can be trusted to work in our best efforts for a moment. Hasselblad went from a primier flagship company to an also ran and are now only a bit player. Anyone who invests in their harware at this point needs to beware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think calling hasselblad a bit player is a touch harsh..they are still in the medium formt market where they have always been, and still one of the top companies in that market.
Sure in the whole camera market they are small fry compared to canon, sony, etc but medium format always was a small market compared to 35mm
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Photomangreg

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 03:31:04 pm »

1 lens mount change vs Hasselblad's 3 in a few years?

And with an adapter all the fd lenses still work. I don't see Hassy providing any adapter to allow their older stuff to work with newer.

*and i'm dropping this now*
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147918\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Check out the CF lens adapter!

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:16 pm »

Hi
I am getting great results using a Aptus 22 on a Mamiya 645 AFDII. I still believe in an open system. Plus there 28 mm lens will work with Leaf, Sinar, Phase & there own ZD ( back/camera).
From now on Hasselblad is for Hasselblad users & it is there business how they run their company.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 04:03:57 pm »

Check out the CF lens adapter!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The H platform was developed as a modular system to accept all sorts of digital accessories or atleast was marketed this way. Corporate policy drives this bs not the interest of existing users. I have invested big time into H system and this Hasselblad bs just keeps getting worse everyday. Ok I can use my H1 for as long as it goes but this is a dead end route for me.

Damn shame Hasselblad damn shame.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

samuel_js

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 04:40:46 pm »

The H platform was developed as a modular system to accept all sorts of digital accessories or atleast was marketed this way. Corporate policy drives this bs not the interest of existing users. I have invested big time into H system and this Hasselblad bs just keeps getting worse everyday. Ok I can use my H1 for as long as it goes but this is a dead end route for me.

Damn shame Hasselblad damn shame.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Patrik, digital cameras has a short liftime. When I bought my H2/PhaseOne I knew (inside) this would happen. I fact It happened faster than I thought as my H2 is about two months old. When I heard that H was dicontinuing it I fel kind of... unconfortable. But I didn't buy the system thinking about the day I need to change. I bought it because it is the best camera on the market (IMO). I've never seen a Hasselblad break or fail. At least from the V system to the H2. My H2/P21 has never failed, not a single error or diminute failure. 100% stable. My 503 never failed, my 500cm never failed either.

The digital era is like this: they are all experimenting, trying, thinking designing their new products and we buy then, test them and then sell the when they are obsolete 2 years later. Obsolete for then because they have new things in mind, but for us, these cameras are usable for years. I
thing everybody should understand that we pay for what we get, and nor for what we will get. Hasselblad claims they take care of my camera it it happens anything for 7 years and I'm fine with that. And the rest, (like this letter from Christian Poulsen) I personally don't give s**t bacause the most of it is b******t.

But if you feel so bad about all this Hasselblad there's a way out actually. Make great photographs and stay away from this forums because a lot of what people talk here is everything but photography, thats what all those cameras are for...

I could turn off the internet and make photography with the cameras I have for years, without all this rumors especulations and announcements from our great companies. And then come back in 2035 and discover that my H2 was discontinued. What the f**K? My camera was discontinued. How the hell could I make photographs with it? Great deal...  

Think about it. You've got the best Hasselblad; you can put any DB on it and it's film compatible. I'll get another body as soon as I can. Beleave me, this camera will be legendary. Opps. I'm making it legendary right now  .

The best thing to do it you're to worried about your camera getting outdated is buying a dicontinued system. But hey! We've got it now!  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:15:27 pm by samuel_js »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 04:58:50 pm »

Samuel, I see your point of view but I think you are missing a vital point. Photographers are in competition with other photographers. If a new technology becomes available and is adopted by some photographers to give them a competitive advantage, then the rest may be under pressure to keep up or lose clients. An example of this is the first of the 22MP MFDBs, or the first MFDBs which could run untethered, or a 28mm lens, etc.

So you are right that everyone's H1 may continue to work for 10 years, but there is more to it. In only 5 years, clients may be expecting noise-free ISO 1600, or 5 fps, or one of many other advances, and people holding on to dead end cameras will be left out or will have to pay dearly to upgrade.

Even if the clients don't expect it, most photographers would like to have access to new developments to expand what their system is capable of.

So it is understandable that they become irate when their own camera maker deliberately kills the continuity of expensive and recently released cameras.

Btw, the Hass V cameras often lock up. Hass H cameras also lock up (software issue?). Hass H 50-110mm zoom lenses have failed for many. Hasselblad is far from failure free. Maybe you've been lucky.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:00:29 pm by foto-z »

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 05:02:03 pm »

just the fact that the CEO came with such letter to justify their choices shows that some bad feed back have been heard...

Steve Kerman

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 05:15:05 pm »

And with an adapter all the fd lenses still work.

They do?!!  I did not know this.  What adapter is it, exactly, and where can I get one?!  I would very much love to use my FD glass on an EOS.

Steve Kerman

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 05:24:27 pm »

And with an adapter all the fd lenses still work.
OK, Google is your friend--I googled the subject.  I guess it depends on what defintion of "work" you're working with.   The definition of of "work" I work with does not include losing 2/3d's of a stop and being tele-extended by 1.26x, nor does it include stop-down metering or losing infinity focus.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:27:51 pm by Steve Kerman »

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 05:28:37 pm »

I really wanted to TALK to them at the Photo Expo Show, Hasselblad was NOT at the SHOW.

Classy.

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147912\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got invited by Hasselblad during Photo Expo Show, however it was not at Photo Expo Show it was here:

Dear Natasa,

The main events will take place at Splashlight Studios on Friday,
October 19th from 10:00am-5:00pm. There will be limited access to the studio
on Thursday, October 18th)

On October 19th, Hasselblad will host an open studio as well as a
Victor by Hasselblad table.  You are invited to come and see all the new
Hasselblad products at this time as well as learn about Hasselblad's new
corporate magazine 'Victor by Hasselblad".

In the orginal email invitation there was a reference to a porfolio
review.  Unfortuantley due to the volume of requests Hasselblad will not
be able to conduct these reviews.  Too many requests and not enough
resources..  We do however encourage you to stop by the studio on October
19th to learn about all the new and exciting news from Hasselblad.

Event Venue:
Splashlight Studios
529-535 West 35th Street
New York, NY 10001
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:39:52 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

juicy

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

They do?!!  I did not know this.  What adapter is it, exactly, and where can I get one?!  I would very much love to use my FD glass on an EOS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147947\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi!

The adapters I've seen won't make you happy. Normally they incorporate a crappy lens that completely ruins the fine IQ of your FD50 1.2L (or any other FD lens). Longer lenses are less affected but still unusable.  
I have not heard about decent currently produced FD-EOS -adapters.

Cheers,
J

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 05:51:22 pm »

Could it be that with the demise of the H2 and introduction of the F that the H2 will become hot on the used market--upping the prices of body and accessories a la Contax 645...
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

JeffVo

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 11:43:33 pm »

""film only" version of the H2, and consequently does not require the same level of manufacturing, R&D, and support overhead the H2 does."[

Is it really harder to make a product you already make than to go to the trouble cripling it most likely in software?  What R&D? Its been Done ages ago!  And Support?  If you dont have one of their backs they blame your problem on your back!  Does Mr. Poulsen really think anybody buys this shit?  I hope Hasselblad falls flat on their face!!!! Their product is a distant 3rd or 4th behind Phase and Leaf.  I know three people that first bought Hasselblad backs only to dump them for Phase. Problem is their camera is the best choice for many.  A Leaf rep told me 1.5 years ago that 85% of their new backs were for the H mount!!! Its a shame Sinar is dropping the ball.  If their past performance in the US is any indication. I dont have high hopes for the HY6. No marketing muscle at all.  I tried twice to get a demo on their backs from a rep, no dice.  Leaf is wise to get on board with the HY6, but I lost faith in them with many shoddy backs last few years, but perhaps they have worked out the bugs.  Which leaves Phase.  Still the best?  Yes, but the idea of buying a back for a dead camera excites no one, not even diehard Contax guys.  If only the Canon files were better.....

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »

Its a shame Sinar is dropping the ball.  If their past performance in the US is any indication. I dont have high hopes for the HY6. No marketing muscle at all.

I don't know what past performance you are referring to but you should really take a close look at the Sinarbacks. With excellent image quality, the flexibility of the adapter system, speed, built-in solid state memory, compactness and clearer LCDs, I believe they are the best backs on the market.

In this day and age of overnight couriers, I don't see why living next door to a dealer is so important to some. I live in a country with no MFDB dealers at all, so I simply went for the best technology and rely on overnight courier service between here and Germany if anything goes wrong.

Have you had a bad experience with SinarBron, for example?

The 5yr hot swap warranty of the Hy6 should get your attention. Who else is offering that?

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 01:50:12 am »

Dear Jeff,

In which way is Sinar dropping the ball? Could you emphasize and give me details?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Its a shame Sinar is dropping the ball.  If their past performance in the US is any indication. I dont have high hopes for the HY6.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:01 am »

I guess this is officially the "bash Hassleblad" thread, now. Here are my 7 top reasons for buying Hasslebad (except I didn't):

1. It says Hasselblad. Your clients like that because they cannot afford it.
2. There are Hasselblads, leggy models with long hair, and wind machines at every major photo event. This is why your brother in law wants a Hasselblad.
3. You cannot really afford it either so you want it.
4.  It's all made by, excuse me, labeled Hassleblad. You know who to call when it doesn't work.
5. It's the only functional MF solution your dealer can sell you these days if you need high flash sync.
6. It actually works when you get it. And mostly works when you have it.
7. Even if you hate it when you get it, there are still reasons 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 and 6 that make you keep it.

Oh, and why don't I have a Hasselblad ? Well I guess 1, 2 and 3 didn't quite work for me for some reason. Bad marketing

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:41:12 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

TechTalk

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 04:49:05 am »

Top 7 reasons to think twice before you hit the "post" button:

1) Your ego exceeds your wit and your image can't afford it.

2) It takes time away from dreaming of leggy models with long hair that you can't afford.

3) You can't afford someone seeing through your posing–and you're not a leggy model.

4) You are overly impressed with your own label.

5) You may have mockery confused with insight.

6) You know that humerus is a bone in your arm, but still have humorous confused with contemptuous.

7) You still don't get it and you hate the fact that others do.

Oh, and why doesn't everyone recognize your comedic genius? Reasons 1 through 7, better work on your marketing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:04:39 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 06:09:59 am »

You talking 'bout me    

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 08:30:08 am »

You make a really good sparring partner ! See, we're a live comedy team now ! D'you think we can ask for a fee ?

All together now:

We love Hassy coz' it's flashy -

Edmund

Top 7 reasons to think twice before you hit the "post" button:

2) It takes time away from dreaming of leggy models with long hair that you can't afford.

3) You can't afford someone seeing through your posing–and you're not a leggy model.

4) You are overly impressed with your own label.

5) You may have mockery confused with insight.

6) You know that humerus is a bone in your arm, but still have humorous confused with contemptuous.

7) You still don't get it and you hate the fact that others do.

Oh, and why doesn't everyone recognize your comedic genius? Reasons 1 through 7, better work on your marketing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:06 am »

So you are right that everyone's H1 may continue to work for 10 years, but there is more to it. In only 5 years, clients may be expecting noise-free ISO 1600, or 5 fps, or one of many other advances, and people holding on to dead end cameras will be left out or will have to pay dearly to upgrade.

Even if the clients don't expect it, most photographers would like to have access to new developments to expand what their system is capable of.

So it is understandable that they become irate when their own camera maker deliberately kills the continuity of expensive and recently released cameras.

Btw, the Hass V cameras often lock up. Hass H cameras also lock up (software issue?). Hass H 50-110mm zoom lenses have failed for many. Hasselblad is far from failure free. Maybe you've been lucky.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very well said. But the H1 works very well. I don't have any problems with mirror slap. My lenses have held together and are very very good.

Only reason for discontinuity of H2 is PhaseOne. The manufacturing cost bs is just bs, why not just raise the price instead of pissing people off?

PhaseOne in the eyes of Poulsen is getting a free ride and that's why the H2 is history. PhaseOne is too big of a threat to Hasselblad. Things will change when average digital back prices fall under USD 10.000 because then again it may prove to be more profitable to manufacture camera bodies than digital backs. But who knows?
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up