Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad  (Read 40492 times)

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Letter from Christian Poulsen Hasselblad
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 03:59:22 pm »

I am so happy that for once I have nothing to say. What a relief.
Andre

TechTalk

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 04:16:07 pm »

Tech,

I was the manager of Helix Camera & Video's pro department for 10 years.    We used to bring the Fuji version of the H camera in grey market when the US dollar was much higher against the Yen.   At the time Fuji could not legally import the H camera into the country due to their agreement with Hasselblad.   2 years ago there was talk from Fuji reps that the Fuji version were going to be available from Fuji USA and then it went no further.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe you can fill people in on where to get service on grey market Fuji product. Some may be interested in pursuing that route.

Also, it seems that reps really like to talk. A lot of rumors seem to start with reps and spread from there to the internet. Just a casual observation on my part.

Is it possible that Hasselblad is the company that controls how the "H" system is sold? If you look at that "original deal" again, isn't it Hasselblad that contracted with Teleca Systems in Sweden for the electronics, camera software and communications interface, Minolta for the auto-focus system and Fuji for the optical components? Is it possible that they have a good deal more control than some people might assume? What degree of control does Fuji have? I'm curious.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 04:16:28 pm »

Tech,

I was the manager of Helix Camera & Video's pro department for 10 years.    We used to bring the Fuji version of the H camera in grey market when the US dollar was much higher against the Yen.   At the time Fuji could not legally import the H camera into the country due to their agreement with Hasselblad.   2 years ago there was talk from Fuji reps that the Fuji version were going to be available from Fuji USA and then it went no further.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are Fuji going to have an own-branded H3DII in Japan ?
Which digital MF solution are Fuji selling at the moment in Japan ?
Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

samuel_js

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2007, 04:19:41 pm »

This is the camera for those interested:

mattlap2

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 04:32:50 pm »

Maybe you can fill people in on where to get service on grey market Fuji product. Some may be interested in pursuing that route.

Also, it seems that reps really like to talk. A lot of rumors seem to start with reps and spread from there to the internet. Just a casual observation on my part.

Is it possible that Hasselblad is the company that controls how the "H" system is sold? If you look at that "original deal" again, isn't it Hasselblad that contracted with Teleca Systems in Sweden for the electronics, camera software and communications interface, Minolta for the auto-focus system and Fuji for the optical components? Is it possible that they have a good deal more control than some people might assume? What degree of control does Fuji have? I'm curious.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148187\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At the time Helix provided a 2 year warranty thru the store.   We contracted with a local repair service and they were repaired locally for some services and sent back to Japan for others.   You could not just walk it in to your local Hasselblad repair facility and expect them to take care of it.

In the original deal Fuji provided the optics and the film back.   Minolta licensed the Auto focus technology.  The partnership allowed Fuji to market the camera everywhere in the world other than Europe and the US.

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 04:38:28 pm »

PhaseOne in the eyes of Poulsen is getting a free ride and that's why the H2 is history. PhaseOne is too big of a threat to Hasselblad.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed.  A Phase one back and an updated Contax body would have been devastating to Hassy.  The biggest beneficiary of the Phase One/Contax deal not going through was Hassy.  Hassy needs to cripple Phase One before they find another platform.  No more H2's is one way to reduce demand for the P1 product.

hubell

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2007, 04:53:27 pm »

"TechTalk", would you please stop bashing individual people here? You are not adding anything to the discussion by behaving like this. If you have critical remarks, please do come with some factual evidence instead. Or let it go by.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe he tries in his posts to be very objective and fair. He simply objects to rants or unfounded opinions masquerading as factual statements, which is something we should all appreciate, and he is trying to set the record straight. Do you see him running down Sinar generally or the Hy6? Do you seem him doing that with Phase? Does he ascribe the complete lack of commercial success of Rollei products in the US to the cultural inferiority of Americans? I haven't. His modus operandi here is not negative about other companies' products. Let's be clear. There are many here who simply do not want to hear positive(or even simple factual) reports about Hasselblad and its products, and anyone who questions them or calls them out on their inaccurate statements gets in the way of their free for all.

TechTalk

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 04:55:15 pm »

"TechTalk", would you please stop bashing individual people here? You are not adding anything to the discussion by behaving like this. If you have critical remarks, please do come with some factual evidence instead. Or let it go by.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When misinformation of a technical nature is posted, then it is relatively easy to post a factual response to correct it.

On the other hand, when rumor, speculation or gossip is being presented–a challenge to the poster's claims is often just that–a challenge to the poster to back up their claims. Public figures (and companies) that are attacked this way, often learn how time consuming and difficult it can be to disprove a rumor that isn't true. It takes little effort or time to start a rumor, then they take on a life of their own and the internet simply adds to their amplification and perceived magnitude.

In the case of sheer mockery or cynicism, it might sometimes be useful to turn the mirror around. I appreciate that eronald has the good grace and humor to have accepted my response to his post as intended.

I only wish that technolgy and facts were the sole source of debate and discussion on boards such as this, but sadly that is not the case. Emotions seem to run high at times. Sorry if you were put off by any replies that I have posted, but the tone of the reply is often dictated by the nature of the post being responded to.

eronald

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 05:11:21 pm »

In the case of sheer mockery or cynicism, it might sometimes be useful to turn the mirror around. I appreciate that eronald has the good grace and humor to have accepted my response to his post as intended.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All in a good day's fun

Anyway, I've tried the Hassy's, they seem to work as advertised, I'm impressed by the improvements in the latest versions, and I don't think anyone can object to my saying that they are heavily marketed with leggy models and wind machines

My own refusal to buy H stems from my own tests and has something to do with the lens "look" and finder "feel". Also, the Raw images from H backs are locked into a proprietary processing pipleline which negates my special skills with color profiles. Brand S/L also seems to have a nice design but it hasn't yet has much real-life testing while Hassy are now through to the 4th iteration (H1, H2, H3D, H3DII) and have clearly learnt much while revving their product.

Somebody here should notice that the Alpa, which is definitely low-tech, is getting a very good rep as a tool for making images - features and marketing aren't the only way forward.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:12:05 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hubell

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »

hcubell,

I don't get it: Graham has simply answered to a claim from Edmund, saying that the Hasselblad was the ONLY functional MF solution when you need high sync.

This is simply not true and as such can (should) be corrected without getting the remark of it being advertising. Don't you agree with this?

There is further no bashing or disrespect or whatsoever to this now famous "letter".

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry, I would never speak for others, but in all candor, reading this Forum regularly over the past year feels to me like I'm living in the middle of an uniterrupted advertising campaign for the Hy6, run on a collective basis by three individuals. Fine, you can can do that, nobody is forcing me to read it. OTOH, Foto-Z has seemingly never passed up an opportunity to run down Hasselblad and its latest products, and yet he has apparently never even used them. You may note that exactly nine minutes elapsed between the first post in this thread with the Poulsen letter and Foto-Z's post about it being marketing bs.

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:17 pm »

good pace around here...

TechTalk

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2007, 05:42:32 pm »

No more H2's is one way to reduce demand for the P1 product.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is absolutely true. It is also true that it allows Hasselblad to focus their production capacity on the integrated sytems that provide the best return and in their view the best long term strategy for survival in a very difficult market. Integration is a business decision and strategy that to a lesser degree is also being pursued by Sinar, Leaf, Mamiya and Rollei.

Any time spent with executives from Hasselblad will make it very clear that their concern for the future is not other competitors in the medium-format market, but Canon and Nikon. They feel that future improvements from these two companies are a threat to the medium-format format market as a whole. They don't see a future in trying to maintain the quality gap necessary to survive, with a mix and match approach competing against integrated systems from Canon and Nikon. In time, we'll know if their judgement is correct or not.

In addition, for the past several years, there has been insufficient volume in the sales of medium-format cameras for any company to be profitable in that market. All of the manufacturers have had severe financial problems and only a few have managed to survive. Integration of cameras and backs have returned Hasselblad to profitability, for the past few years, and are the only reason that they still exist.

Photomangreg

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2007, 05:43:16 pm »

I only wish that technolgy and facts were the sole source of debate and discussion on boards such as this, but sadly that is not the case.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's all Al Gores fault for inventing this darn internet in the first place!!

TechTalk

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2007, 05:55:45 pm »

All in a good day's fun

Anyway, I've tried the Hassy's, they seem to work as advertised, I'm impressed by the improvements in the latest versions, and I don't think anyone can object to my saying that they are heavily marketed with leggy models and wind machines

My own refusal to buy H stems from my own tests and has something to do with the lens "look" and finder "feel". Also, the Raw images from H backs are locked into a proprietary processing pipleline which negates my special skills with color profiles. Brand S/L also seems to have a nice design but it hasn't yet has much real-life testing while Hassy are now through to the 4th iteration (H1, H2, H3D, H3DII) and have clearly learnt much while revving their product.

Somebody here should notice that the Alpa, which is definitely low-tech, is getting a very good rep as a tool for making images - features and marketing aren't the only way forward.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I knew you were a good sport and we both seem to like leggy models.

One thing regarding the Hasselblad software. You can do custom profiles. Just add it to the ICC or colorsync library and choose it as the input profile in the FlexColor "setup" window.

Equipment choices are based on individual preferences and I'm sure that you'll enjoy yours.

Best Wishes.

Streetshooter

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2007, 05:57:47 pm »

This is absolutely true. It is also true that it allows Hasselblad to focus their production capacity on the integrated sytems that provide the best return and in their view the best long term strategy for survival in a very difficult market. Integration is a business decision and strategy that to a lesser degree is also being pursued by Sinar, Leaf, Mamiya and Rollei.

Any time spent with executives from Hasselblad will make it very clear that their concern for the future is not other competitors in the medium-format market, but Canon and Nikon. They feel that future improvements from these two companies are a threat to the medium-format format market as a whole. They don't see a future in trying to maintain the quality gap necessary to survive, with a mix and match approach competing against integrated systems from Canon and Nikon. In time, we'll know if their judgement is correct or not.

In addition, for the past several years, there has been insufficient volume in the sales of medium-format cameras for any company to be profitable in that market. All of the manufacturers have had severe financial problems and only a few have managed to survive. Integration of cameras and backs have returned Hasselblad to
profitability, for the past few years, and are the only reason that they still exist.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well in my opinion Hasselblad and others are going the right way to frightening off a lot of would-be purchasers of MFDB systems. I for one am not going to buy into such a volatile market. I'd rather get a FF Nikon or Canon. When you buy a camera that costs over twenty grand and becomes a dead end, it kind of frightens me somewhat.

I think I'll stick to my 10x8 for now.

Pete

eronald

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2007, 06:00:22 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess you are talking about Canon and Nikon 35mm equipment ? Because if Canon or Nikon should decide to go into MF the consequences for Hasselblad would be quick and ugly ...In fact one can say that the whole company is built on the bet that Canon or Nikon won't find it profitable to enter this niche market. Howver Fiat did own Ferrari which makes slightly faster and more expensive cars; VW seem to own Lamborghini which also cater to those who want to drive faster than Beetles ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:01:49 pm by eronald »

TechTalk

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2007, 06:17:23 pm »

I guess you are talking about Canon and Nikon 35mm equipment ? Because if Canon or Nikon should decide to go into MF the consequences for Hasselblad would be quick and ugly ...In fact one can say that the whole company is built on the bet that Canon or Nikon won't find it profitable to enter this niche market. Howver Fiat did own Ferrari which makes slightly faster and more expensive cars; VW seem to own Lamborghini which also cater to those who want to drive faster than Beetles ...

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Your guess is right. I should have been more clear about that. Yes, I was refering to Canon and Nikon 35mm DSLR systems that will continue to evolve and improve at a rapid rate.

Frankly, I think that it is the rapid pace of improvements from Nikon and Canon, more than any other factor, that has fueled Hasselblad's desire to put as much of their energy and resources behind their integrated systems as possible.

Hasselblad is presently getting a lot of heat for putting pressure on users to decide if there is future for them to stay in the Hasselblad system or switch. I think it is obvious that they are pushing people to make a choice between integrated or mix and match systems and to make that decision soon. For their own future survival, Hasselblad has already made that decision and I think they believe that too much delay in doing so would have far worse consequences in the future.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:31:41 pm by TechTalk »

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 06:34:08 pm »

monopoly doesn't sound good for any consumer...

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 06:47:30 pm »

Hi
I just received this letter via email. It could have been that one of our photographs is featured in the HIGH 5 section of the current Victor magazine or that I attend Hasselblad functions here in Sydney. I feel we have to be aware of what is happening in MFD. At the launch last friday in sydney of the H3DII the speaker said that world wide sales of MFD is 9000. Back in 1995 WW sales of MF was 90,000. Also since the release of the H3D the sales of the H2 have fallen in the past year & that is why they are dropping it out of there line. i asked about the H2F & that with third party backs communication such as count down would be no longer on the display. There new software looks impressive & is similar to LR & Aperture. With so few sales WW I can understand there direction. Then again I do not use the H2 with a third party back & I can understand the frustration of photographers that do.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

TechTalk

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 06:57:53 pm »

monopoly doesn't sound good for any consumer...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Going out of business doesn't sound very good either.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:00:38 pm by TechTalk »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up