Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSD vs. TIFF for Photoshop round-trip?  (Read 2461 times)

switters

PSD vs. TIFF for Photoshop round-trip?
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:17:49 pm »

I'm wondering if there's any significant advantage to using TIFF over PSD when exporting to Photoshop.  The reason I ask is that something odd has started happening in the past few days where saving TIFF files in PS back to LR is taking an INCREDIBLY long time.  The "writing TIFF format" progress bar is up for 10-15 seconds on an image that would save almost instantaneously before.

As an experiment I exported a few files as PSDs, and they saved right away with no lag time at all.

I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting (cleaning caches, repairing permissions, trying another user account, rebuilding directories with DiskWarrior, etc.) and haven't had any success.  My system is running great, and Photoshop is running well too (other than this).

So I have two questions:

1) Anyone have any idea why saving TIFFs is taking so much longer than PSDs?  Or how to troubleshoot it / fix the problem?

2) Am I missing something if I switch to PSDs entirely?  I print using an Epson R2400 and don't use QTR or any third-party RIP.

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:23:22 am »

Read this discussion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:24:21 am by francois »
Francois

switters

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:22:32 am »

Can anyone tell me whether they experience the same issue on their machines, i.e. TIFF files opened from LR taking considerably longer to save than PSD files?

What's strange (to me, at least) is that the TIFF files are only 6 MB when saved to the desktop, while the PSD files are 25 MB.  And yet the TIFF is taking 6-8x as long to save (the PSD is almost instantaneous).

Yeah, I could just use PSD but I'd rather use TIFF in case I want to print with QTR.  I'd like to figure out what's wrong here.  At least one person on another forum says he's having the same problem.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:13:28 pm »

Are these compressed TIFFs? Some compression modes take longer processing when saving a TIFF.
Eric Chan

switters

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:35:26 pm »

Are these compressed TIFFs? Some compression modes take longer processing when saving a TIFF.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I do have ZIP compression selected in the "open in external editor" preferences within LR.  I was under the impression that a reduced file size would DECREASE the amount of time it takes to save the file, but I guess LR and Photoshop have to write the compression algorithm which takes some time.

Still, the question is why has the change occurred in the past couple of weeks?  Before that TIFFs didn't take such a long time to save.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:01:26 pm by switters »
Pages: [1]   Go Up