Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop taking FOREVER to save files  (Read 19188 times)

switters

Photoshop taking FOREVER to save files
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »

I'm sorry if this isn't the most appropriate place to post this, but I've tried over at the Photoshop forums and no one had any suggestions.

About two weeks ago I noticed a very significant increase in the time it takes to save a TIFF file in Photoshop CS3. I would estimate that it now takes 5x longer to save a given file. I have also noticed that applying filters is taking longer than it was before too, but the difference isn't as dramatic. This is seriously lengthening my workflow, since I often open files in PS from LR to do more complex processing.

For example, until this problem started, when I saved a flattened, 8-bit file it would take maybe 2-3 seconds and I wouldn't even see the "writing TIF file" progress bar window come up. Now, saving the same file, the "writing TIF file" progress window is up for about 15-20 seconds before it saves.

My system is running very well otherwise. I do maintenance with Onyx regularly, I have a fast boot drive (Raptor) with my home directory on a fast 750 GB Caviar SE internal drive. Scratch disk is set to the 750 GB Caviar, which has 480 GB of free space on it. My machine is G5 dual-core 2.0, 4.5 GB RAM. Note again that I was very satisfied with PS CS3 performance with these same specs up until a couple of weeks ago.

I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks.

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:52:31 pm »

You might consider to log-in as another user and see if PS is still slow. This would tell you if some preferences have been corrupted. Another thing to consider: are other processes running and stealing CPU cycles (use Activity Monitor to get a better picture of the situation). Your HD seems to have enough free space and should cause any slow-down unless it's defective (this can also be a reason for slow-downs).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:54:23 pm by francois »
Francois

sniper

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:17:34 pm »

I seem to remember this problem from somewhere else, if I remember rightly one possible cure was to clear adobes cache file.  It's in documents and settings somewhere.  I'll have a look later when I get home (haven't CS3 on this machine)  Wayne

switters

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:29:02 pm »

I seem to remember this problem from somewhere else, if I remember rightly one possible cure was to clear adobes cache file.  It's in documents and settings somewhere.  I'll have a look later when I get home (haven't CS3 on this machine)  Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That would be great, I'd appreciate it!

switters

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »

You might consider to log-in as another user and see if PS is still slow. This would tell you if some preferences have been corrupted. Another thing to consider: are other processes running and stealing CPU cycles (use Activity Monitor to get a better picture of the situation). Your HD seems to have enough free space and should cause any slow-down unless it's defective (this can also be a reason for slow-downs).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, nothing is running other than Photoshop and I've checked Activity Monitor and all is well.  I'll try creating another user and see what happens there.

switters

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:53:57 pm »

Does anyone know if I will lose all of my actions if I reset Photoshop preferences and settings (by holding down Command+Option+Shift while starting up PS)?

switters

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:44:32 pm »

Well, here is what I've learned.

In a new user, Photoshop saved the file instantaneously.  However, this was a file I had opened off of the desktop, and not from Lightroom as I normally do in my user account.

So I went back into my user account, and opened the same file from the desktop.  What do you know, it saved instantaneously!  Hmmm...

Next, I went back into the new user account, imported the image into LR, and used the "Open in External Editor" command to open it in Photoshop.  I made a few changes, flattened, and saved the file.  Again, it saved instantaneously.

So I have isolated the problem to be with any files I open from Lightroom into Photoshop using the "Open in external editor" command.  When I save those files in my account, it doesn't happen instantaneously like in all other situations described above.  Instead, I get a "writing TIF format" progress bar for about 10-15 seconds.  The kind of progress bar I'd expect if I was saving a 150 MB file with 20 layers.  

But even though the problem is more isolated, I don't have a clue how to fix it.  Any ideas?

switters

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:56:27 pm »

Sorry to beat this to death, but I have one more update for anyone who might be experiencing the same problem.

If I open the files from LR as PSD files, I do not have this problem.  They save almost instantaneously, whether as 16-bit or 8-bit files.

Is there any compelling reason to be using TIFF instead of PSD?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 12:31:42 am »

Sorry to beat this to death, but I have one more update for anyone who might be experiencing the same problem.

If I open the files from LR as PSD files, I do not have this problem.  They save almost instantaneously, whether as 16-bit or 8-bit files.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Somewhere on this forum (do a search) Jeff Schewe explained that PSD is a proprietary and thus probably dead-end format with no advantages over TIFF, which is a standard. Thus, you would probably be wise to convert your PSDs to TIFFs at some point down the road if you want to maximize the liklihood of being able to use them with future versions of PS, or other software.

I hope someone can come up with a cure for your slow-TIFF problem.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:36:19 am »

Tiffs are taking a decade to write on this machine, too.  This is new.

francois

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 05:46:55 am »

If I open the files from LR as PSD files, I do not have this problem.  They save almost instantaneously, whether as 16-bit or 8-bit files.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, for your intented use, I see no reason not to use PSD if it solves your issue.
One last question for you: did you make a lot of adjustments in Lightroom on the problematic files?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:26:33 am by francois »
Francois

switters

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:37:02 am »

Well, for your intented use, I see no reason not to use PSD if it solves your issue.
One last question for you: did you make a lot of adjustments in Lightroom on the problematic files?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I made no adjustments whatsoever.  I just opened the unaltered RAW file as a 16-bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB with LZW compression - as I always have.  Never had problems until recently.

francois

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 09:59:08 am »

I made no adjustments whatsoever.  I just opened the unaltered RAW file as a 16-bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB with LZW compression - as I always have.  Never had problems until recently.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I must say that I have no idea, sorry.

Have you posted your question on the [a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2cf0a/]Adobe forums[/url]?
Francois

switters

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 10:02:19 am »

I must say that I have no idea, sorry.

Have you posted your question on the Adobe forums?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I have.  Not much response there.  I'm out of ideas, too.  However, 10.5 is arriving at the end of the week so I think I'll take the opportunity to erase and defrag my drives, do a clean install of the new OS, re-install CS3, and see if that works.

sniper

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 11:24:34 am »

Having checked on my other PC I found the file mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure if it relates to CS3 (there are several version of PS on this pc for training use)

it's under my computer>c drive>documents and settings>your name>aplication data>adobe>file browser  
I normally just delete the files inside, but I'd advise you to cut and paste them somewhere, restart the PC and check everythings working ok first.
Hope this helps  Wayne

switters

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 11:31:10 am »

Having checked on my other PC I found the file mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure if it relates to CS3 (there are several version of PS on this pc for training use)

it's under my computer>c drive>documents and settings>your name>aplication data>adobe>file browser 
I normally just delete the files inside, but I'd advise you to cut and paste them somewhere, restart the PC and check everythings working ok first.
Hope this helps  Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Wayne.  I'm on a Mac, but I'll see if I can find the equivalent directory.

Chris

pminicucci

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:14 am »

Chris;

Try using Console (in the Applications/Utilities location) to see what the porblem is. Console has logs for everything, often bewildering, but occasionally useful. Specifically, open Console and then repeat the procedures that result in the slow save. Watch the Console logs to see if the software or OS is getting hung up on something.
Best,
Pat
Pages: [1]   Go Up