Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambo wide DS use  (Read 3075 times)

Mike W

cambo wide DS use
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:57:55 am »

Hi Guys,

Next week I'll be doing some pack-shots and still-life work for a school assignment (with a Sinar M mounted on a Sinar F3 (I think, whatever, a small view camera) and a Emotion 22.

As a student with no money (:-s), I'm always trying to come up with a cheap as possible DMF platform format for me to use.

What I would need for most of my work: A medium format DSLR (hasselblad, mamiya, Hy6, who cares...)
For landscape I need a 28 mm. A cambo wideDS is cheaper or as expensive as a HC 28 or the mamiya 28mm. So why not buy a Cambo, It's a different platform with multiple advantages.

Long story short...do you (a cambo wideDS owner) think the camera is useable for still-life and packshots when using the 90mm lenspanel?
What would the major disadvantages or limitations be?

Thanks

Mike

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
cambo wide DS use
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »

A cambo wideDS is cheaper or as expensive as a HC 28 or the mamiya 28mm.

Its only that cheap without a 24 or 28mm lens on it

Long story short...do you (a cambo wideDS owner) think the camera is useable for still-life and packshots when using the 90mm lenspanel?
What would the major disadvantages or limitations be?

Simply focus accuracy. With focusing by lens scale its difficult for close and small subjects such as packshots.  A Mamiya would be a possible better choice. For packshots a viewcam and back would be better.

I think the cheapest option would be a second hand Contax outfit, the 35mm lens is pretty wide for landscapes and you can pick up body, 35 & 80 lenses probably for $1500-2000 it you hunt around
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:13:35 pm by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Mike W

cambo wide DS use
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:09 am »

Thanks for the reply free1000

About the price of the cambo wide ds; I based my assumption of the price on this thread.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19909

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
cambo wide DS use
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:04 am »

Normally you don't get paid a lot for pack-shots. The trick is to do as many as possible (naturally with very good quality that needs to go without saying) in the shortest possible amount of time (amongst others). This way you can make it work. Probably for you as being a school project not that relevant?

It sounds like a good idea to take a view camera,etc.. , it is a lot slower than stuff like a Mamiya, H, or other DSLR type of camera. I normally use my Digiflex or currently the H for these things. Mamiya AFD or Contax would be a good choice as well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:04:31 am by Dustbak »

Mike W

cambo wide DS use
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:17:52 am »

Maybe I should specify:

I won't be using a cambo wide in school (the school doesn't have one, I don't have the money)
I use a school-owned sinar m+f3+DB for pack-shots and still-life.

I am, however, constantly thinking about what equipment would suit my needs: thats why I was wondering if a cambo (wich I would or could use for landscape, could also be used for studio works as still-life and packshots)

regards

Mike

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
cambo wide DS use
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:34:26 pm »

Maybe I should specify:

I won't be using a cambo wide in school (the school doesn't have one, I don't have the money)
I use a school-owned sinar m+f3+DB for pack-shots and still-life.

I am, however, constantly thinking about what equipment would suit my needs: thats why I was wondering if a cambo (wich I would or could use for landscape, could also be used for studio works as still-life and packshots)

regards

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To get an idea of what it would be like in the studio why don't you use the same sinar m+f3+db and make some shots with the same focal length lens you are considering for the Cambo wide but use no tilts or swings.  That should give you an indication of whether or not it will work.
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

Mike W

cambo wide DS use
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:42:32 am »

Hey Mark,

Yeah, you're right, only trouble is my school only has one lens for the view camera solution.
I allready figured out I propably don't need all movements; just the rise and shift.

I guess this topic can be shelved now :-) time will tell....
Pages: [1]   Go Up