Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC - is it any good???  (Read 6400 times)

Meerkat

Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC - is it any good???
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:08 am »

I have been doing a fair amount of research on the Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC. It seems that there are quite a few people on various forums slamming this panel for photography work. I am trying to accertain if this is simly the vocal minority or if there is some fire with the smoke.

Various opinions are offered as to whether this is due to contrast, profiling, colour managed environments, etc. I find it hard to believe that Dell (or anyone) would release such a "bad" panel.

I would like to seek the opinions of photographers who have this monitor. Is it any good???

I note that there is another thread on a similar topic to do with this monitor - "Calibrating a Dell Ultrasharp 2407WP w/Eye-One"; however this is not covering the topic quite as I would like to understand it.

Bottom line for me is that the monitor is at about the right price for me, but all this talk of "incorrect colour representation" is scaring me off.

Please note that this is the HC version of the monitor. All the reviews of the previous non-HC version (no longer available) are great, but irrelevant.

Michael LS

• http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:42:55 pm »

I have the HC version. I can't compare it to the previous non-HC 2407WFP, since I've never owned that monitor. The online reviews of the HC version have, overall, been good. Its strong point is the increased gamut. I can easily see colors now that I couldn't see on my "lesser" lcds.  And the 24" widescreen helps on landscape format shots. It also pivots to portrait format.

If your questioning the need to spend big $$ for a truly high-end Lcd, then the 2407WFP-HC is a good choice. It is well beyond an "everyday" lcd in its image quality. It isn't perfect. It still has the infamous Dell tendency toward brightness. I have mine down to 50% and its fine. One could certainly find other flaws, but no deal-breakers for me. I've profiled it with an Eye-One, and the prints I'm getting from my 3800 are dead-on. Once I saw THAT happen, I suddenly couldn't remember why I needed to spend $1200 to $6000 on a monitor. Yet at some point I WILL spend big $$ on a better Lcd, only because of my relentless, passionate...obsessive drive for artistic and technical perfection.

As for the slamming you've seen on other websites, well, ahmm...have you ever seen a product yet that wasn't slammed somewhere on the internet? Slamming is what some people live for. Maybe they were nitpicking and comparing the HC to monitors costing many times more. Or maybe they got a bad panel. That can happen with any make or model. For the money, the 2407WFP-HC serves its purpose quite nicely.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:44:20 pm by MichaelL »
[url=http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/

Meerkat

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:43:01 pm »

Thanks MichaelL

This was what I was wanting to find out.

A number of the forums (one particular one actually... started with DP and ends with .eview) slam the monitor on the basis that you can't effectively colour manage the monitor (i.e. profile correctly).

My view, from what I have read, is that this is a shortcoming of non-colour managed applications, such as some web browsers and documentation applications.

What I really care about is that I can have prints that look the same as on the screen. As long as that can happen I will be happy.

Cheers

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:47:17 pm »

If the backlight is uneven or the monitor is too bright it can be difficult to profile the monitor.  My 19" dell is as bright as the noon day sun.  Can be an adventure with prints.

Meerkat

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:27:23 pm »

I have decided to give the 2407wfp-hc a try. The thing that pushed it over the line was the $200 price drop for this week! Well, the price drop and the return policy.

I will post my impressions here in due course. I have only just ordered it so it may be up to 2 weeks until I receive the unit.

James DeMoss

• http://jbdemossphotography.com/aboutus.aspx
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 12:48:38 pm »

FWIW, I have the Dell 30". I am very happy with it because I don't more than one monitor now, The price is high, but it is outstanding.

Hope that helps.

James

Raw shooter

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:22:23 am »

FWIW, I have the Dell 30". I am very happy with it because I don't more than one monitor now, The price is high, but it is outstanding.

Hope that helps.
James
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James,
Just got the Dell 30 too.  I use Eye-One Display 2 for the other monitors I use, but have found this Dell 30 to be another animal for profiling.

Any sugestions from your experience with profing your Dell 30?
I am thinking about trying Color Eyes for this beast!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:17 pm »

James,
Just got the Dell 30 too.  I use Eye-One Display 2 for the other monitors I use, but have found this Dell 30 to be another animal for profiling.

Any sugestions from your experience with profing your Dell 30?
I am thinking about trying Color Eyes for this beast!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the issue with profiling it?  The issue with my (much smaller and older) dell is its brightness.  Just way over the top.

For the price of the dell 30" I'm looking at a 26" NEC recommended by digidog with spectrayadayada software to calibrate it.  looks awesome.  (Just in case you are still within a return period.)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:47:59 pm »

I have the 2407 WFP (non HC) and find it be a very nice display.  Out of the box it is intolerably bright - but after profiling with Eye-One Photo, find it very easy on the eyes.  I also have the 30" and never was satified with profiling results on it - as they are the same overall resolution, the 30" gets used for my day job - software development

-John
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:48:53 pm by Joh.Murray »

Raw shooter

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:46:46 pm »

I have the 2407 WFP (non HC) and find it be a very nice display.  Out of the box it is intolerably bright - but after profiling with Eye-One Photo, find it very easy on the eyes.  I also have the 30" and never was satified with profiling results on it - as they are the same overall resolution, the 30" gets used for my day job - software development

-John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually have the 2407 (also non HC) too, and it profiles very nicely.  Although the 2407's native resoltion is 1920 x 1200, which is lower than the 3007WFP-HC native resolution of 2560 x 1600.  I too can't get the same quality profile, even turned down to 140 lum.
Seems slightly oversaturated (after profiling), but barely. Just really big, which make take some time to get used to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up