Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grip to hand hold long lenses  (Read 4255 times)

Robert Spoecker

Grip to hand hold long lenses
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »

HI all

I just got a Canon EF70-200 F2.8L IS lens and already learned it is a great lens. The most comfortable way for me to hand hold the camera and lens is to grip the camera with my right hand and hold onto the lens tripod mounting collar with my left hand.

I was thinking it would be great to have a handle built like a short piece of dowel with a tripod threaded stud mounted concentrically on one end. This would be screwed into the tripod collar and make it much more comfortable to hold.

I know it would be fairly easy to build but if I did that someone would point out that I could have bought one very cheap, so if someone makes such a device or its equivalent please point me to it.

Thanks

Robert
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:05:25 pm by Robert Spoecker »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 01:22:04 pm »

I couldn't cite manufacturer or model, but I have seen such things.

telyt

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:25:10 pm »

I'm using the Leica 14188 shoulder stock with my long lenses.  The 3rd version is the most adjustable and comfortable, and has a hole to mount a shutter trigger.  The first version isn't as comfortable or adjustable but it has a threaded hole where I've attached a QR plate so that I can add a monopod when required (though since you have IS this might not be important to you).

j.miller

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:56:14 pm »

Robert,
    Take a look at Voigtlander Bessa accessory grips. These consist of the Grip A (4" cylindrical rubber grip with 1/4"-20 tripod screw) and the Grip B (round, egg-shaped rubber grip with 1/4"-20 tripod screw). You can see them at CameraQuest.com (under Bessa accessories).

I have the Grip B, which I find ideal for my Leica M's, as well as an all-purpose telephoto lens rest when working in the field with my Canon 300mm f/2.8. Great when resting on the ground or hood/roof of a car. Well worth the $40-$50.

I happened to pick mine up at Photo Village in NYC about a year a go.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

HI all

I just got a Canon EF70-200 F2.8L IS lens and already learned it is a great lens. The most comfortable way for me to hand hold the camera and lens is to grip the camera with my right hand and hold onto the lens tripod mounting collar with my left hand.

I was thinking it would be great to have a handle built like a short piece of dowel with a tripod threaded stud mounted concentrically on one end. This would be screwed into the tripod collar and make it much more comfortable to hold.

I know it would be fairly easy to build but if I did that someone would point out that I could have bought one very cheap, so if someone makes such a device or its equivalent please point me to it.

Thanks

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:13:07 am by j.miller »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:07:59 pm »

Hi Robert:

I was also going to suggest a gunstock or shoulder mount.  There's a picture of one with what appears to be a 70-200 here:

http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Item/BH%2D320D.htm

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:47:37 am »

Hey Jordan,

I found the Voigtlander Bessa grip at B&H for $39.95. I do a lot of business with them and will be placing an order of some other stuff with them soon. I will just add the grip to that order.

My search is over as that looks like the perfect thing for my application.

Thanks

Robert

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 06:24:50 am »

What i've seen people do with longer lenses is use a fishing rod belt support (don't know what they're called) with a monopod.