Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe moving to the web  (Read 120803 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Adobe moving to the web
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

My comments are on your posting record at LL. Why not pay Michael and co to advertise, because your activity here is a bit self-serving, don't you think?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:59 pm »

A few thoughts. Adobe trying to move content/software to the web as subscription sucks. I don't want to run to the internet everytime I want to use software. It's strictly a revenue thing -- trying to get people to pay more, more often. Believe me, I'm a capitalist. I like to make money. I've worked for myself for 35-years. But I also give clients a fair deal. I've had SO many issue with my phone company and my DSL speeds in the past year thatI'd have been dead in the water if I had needed to run Photoshop from the web.

As for things like content aware fill and puppet warp, these aren't gimmicks. they're tools if you have the need for them. As a commercial photographer, they've come in handy when clients say, "can you fix...". Just as liquify could be called a "gimmick", but has been a great tool when clients have felt a model's forehead or hairline was too high or their hair too flat.

Nemo

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

A few thoughts. Adobe trying to move content/software to the web as subscription sucks. I don't want to run to the internet everytime I want to use software. It's strictly a revenue thing -- trying to get people to pay more, more often. Believe me, I'm a capitalist. I like to make money. I've worked for myself for 35-years. But I also give clients a fair deal. I've had SO many issue with my phone company and my DSL speeds in the past year thatI'd have been dead in the water if I had needed to run Photoshop from the web.

Once again: PS digital subscription doesn't run from the web. You install and run it from your hard drive, just like regular PS. It needs to phone home every month or so to re-validate you are subscribed. I bet it will have actual phone line activation for the times you're in Antractica.

nemophoto

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:01 pm »

Possibly true, regarding the download, versus running "from the the cloud" but again: I don't want a "subscription software" where I'm paying a monthly fee. And I also prefer to have a hard copy (i.e. - DVD) of large software versus a 1GB download. And from whaty I've heard/read, Adobe does want people to run it from the web, not be based on their own computer. For the most part, I think it's their effort to have more control over piracy and protecting intellectual property than to make it "easier" for the end user.

I don't want to be forced into renewals when I don't want them. While I generally upgrade every version of Photoshop, I decide when. So, I pay for my upgrade, install and that's that. It's not unlike Microsoft pushing Office 360 as a web based program. I think that's exactly what Adobe is doing. I'm part of a consumer panel that periodically answers surveys on future ideas of Adobe's. (I remember doing one on the new beta web design program Muse.) I did a survey regarding just this isssue and I said I hated the idea and wouldn't support it.

feppe

« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2012, 03:34:06 pm »

And from whaty I've heard/read, Adobe does want people to run it from the web, not be based on their own computer.

Yes, I'm positive this is exactly what Adobe wants, and the subscription model is the first step towards PS moving exclusively to the cloud - but it will take years.

shotworldwide

• shotworldwide.com
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2012, 03:27:05 pm »

Well, I just finished retouching one of my images which has 950 MB in total size (with layers). Could anyone give me an advice, how to store images of this size "on the cloud" please?

Thank you in advance :)

Filip
----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Regards, Filip

-----------------------------

nemophoto

« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »

Well, I just finished retouching one of my images which has 950 MB in total size (with layers). Could anyone give me an advice, how to store images of this size "on the cloud" please?

Filip

Honestly, you don't. That's the whole fallacy of "the cloud". In my mind, it's really designed for text documents and spreadsheet and PDFs, not large graphics files. You are better off with several hard drives for image backup than trying to upload a nearly 1GB image to a server somewhere. My 2-cents.

JBerardi

« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:24 am »

Yes, I'm positive this is exactly what Adobe wants, and the subscription model is the first step towards PS moving exclusively to the cloud - but it will take years.

You're sure it's not because "cloud" is a sexy buzzword and "subscription" isn't? Because there's nothing "cloud"-y about what Adobe is currently proposing, besides the word itself.

Seriously, if Verizon is about to jack up my bandwidth to the point where something like Photoshop can run in the cloud, let me know, because that sounds awesome. I really don't see it happening any time soon, though.

feppe

« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »

Stop spreading FUD. This is probably the fifth time I've had to say this: PS or your images are not stored on Adobe's servers.

And do you seriously think anyone would implement a system which requires source images to be stored in the cloud? If it ever happens (a big if) it won't happen until there is enough bandwidth to make it fast.

LKaven

« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »

Stop spreading FUD. This is probably the fifth time I've had to say this: PS or your images are not stored on Adobe's servers.

And do you seriously think anyone would implement a system which requires source images to be stored in the cloud? If it ever happens (a big if) it won't happen until there is enough bandwidth to make it fast.

The very fact that Adobe is using the word "cloud" at all is enough to spread confusion.  If they are talking about paid software downloads by subscription, then that would make it clearer. 

Talking about the cloud, like the word itself, speaks of an amorphous presence that will somehow mysteriously take care of everything.  I can understand this in the case of managing small project documents as a way of synchronizing file storage across devices and members of a group.  But what does this have to do with Creative Suite? 

I always feel like I'm giving myself over to a religion whenever the word is mentioned.  And like some religions, it mainly seems to benefit the "church."  If the cloudkeepers know everything about you because all the information is stored on their servers, I would not trust them not to sell it, mine it, or prevent it from being accessed by governments without notice or permission. 

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2012, 11:20:11 pm »

Actually, with Creative Cloud - image, project, and data files would/could be stored "in the cloud" on Adobe's servers, up to 20GB worth... 

It's not required, but nevertheless shotworldwide's question is a legitimate one.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2012, 11:26:27 pm »

Actually, with Creative Cloud - image, project, and data files would/could be stored "in the cloud" on Adobe's servers, up to 20GB worth... 
More accurate would be
Actually, with Creative Cloud - image, project, and data files can be stored "in the cloud" on Adobe's servers, up to 20GB worth if you desire. If not, you can carry on as normal. 
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

shotworldwide

• shotworldwide.com
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

More accurate would be
Actually, with Creative Cloud - image, project, and data files can be stored "in the cloud" on Adobe's servers, up to 20GB worth if you desire. If not, you can carry on as normal. 
Does it mean that Adobe wants us to pay for something that we are not going to use? Or will they give us a choice to pay less if we do not wish
to use "cloud" ???

Filip
Regards, Filip

-----------------------------

jjj

« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2012, 08:08:54 pm »

I do not use the 3D features in Photoshop. I would not expect a discount because of that.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:49 am »

I do not use the 3D features in Photoshop. I would not expect a discount because of that.
If you're using the standard version, you don't get 3D features. You have to pay extra for the extended version (IOW you get a discount for not having the 3D fluff)

hjulenissen

« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:27 am »

Honestly, you don't. That's the whole fallacy of "the cloud". In my mind, it's really designed for text documents and spreadsheet and PDFs, not large graphics files. You are better off with several hard drives for image backup than trying to upload a nearly 1GB image to a server somewhere. My 2-cents.
One potential model:
1. Upload your raw image files to "the cloud" (large, but not 1GB each)
2. Carry out edits using your PC, mac, iPad, ...
3. Edits are parametric like Lightroom
4. Press "print", and a suitable rendering is transferred to some printing facility
5. Editing feedback is a downsampled version suitable for your lowres display

If you like, you can download a 5KB file containing your edits, that together with the raw file that you have locally anyways is "the image". Adobe might even let you render it locally, without network.

I see some benefits from such a model, and some drawbacks. If Adobe can have racks upon racks of tailor-made hw that does image processing much faster than any PC, where the hw cost is balanced against 1 million users (that each only need peak performance in short bursts), it may allow new fancy algorithms that cannot practically be done today without waiting forever, or buying an Nvidia rendering farm.

-h

jjj

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2012, 06:33:16 am »

If you're using the standard version, you don't get 3D features. You have to pay extra for the extended version (IOW you get a discount for not having the 3D fluff)
I use the extended version, I still do not expect a discount for not using the 3D features.
Everyone uses a different subset of total features of any piece of software. Do you suggest 20 or a 100 versions and varying prices to match that?

The 3D stuff is not fluff, just because you do not use it. A photographer however is in fact a minority user type of Photoshop. It was around 10% a couple of years back, may be even less now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:37:36 am by jjj »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up