Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe moving to the web  (Read 120841 times)

famalam

• London Headshots
Re: Adobe moving to the web
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

Wow.  That's a pretty big statement.  Content-aware fill, Puppet warp, and the CS5 advancements in edge/masking tools typically save us several hours every month...  

Multiply that savings times a standard hourly rate and you're past the upgrade price pretty quick.  We could be alone on that, but I kind of doubt it.

You use content aware fill? Wow, I heard a rumour that someone had found a use for it ;)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:47 pm »

You use content aware fill? Wow, I heard a rumour that someone had found a use for it ;)

If you do panos and need to fill in areas, content aware fill comes in real handy...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2012, 09:52:57 am »

If you do panos and need to fill in areas, content aware fill comes in real handy...

Hum... never had to use such a capability in more than 5 years shooting panos.

Cheers,
Bernard

Farmer

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2012, 07:03:50 pm »

I know CS6 is available as a standalone product, I wasn't suggesting anything different. Seems like the only one with reading comprehension issues is you, my friend.

I am sticking with CS5, because it is likely to be the final release of Photoshop that won't have some kind of next-gen cloud system integrated into it, not because of something I've failed to read.

You're telling me you understand that you can buy it as a standalone product but at the same time you won't buy it (CS6) because you believe it will "...have some kind of next-gen cloud system integrated into it".

/boggle
Phil Brown

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

You use content aware fill?  Wow, I heard a rumour that someone had found a use for it ;)

Yes, Content Aware Fill saves a whole lot of time if you know the tips for the right way to use it...

daws

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »

Rumor confirmed. I regularly use it to clean up jet contrails, power lines and the like.

shotworldwide

• shotworldwide.com
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:59 pm »

I tried to use it few times but it didn't work for me :) I would prefer more stable software instead ....

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Regards, Filip

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »

I tried to use it few times but it didn't work for me :) I would prefer more stable software instead ....

Regards, Filip

It doesn't work in all situations. You have to know a few tricks to make it work better. But it still beats the heck out of cloning everything!

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:06 am »

A quick heads-up if you hadn't heard - Adobe is now offering Lightroom 3 for half price worldwide, which is the lowest price ever and nice to see those going down instead of up.

Or if you are waiting for Lightroom 4, they have not announced pricing yet but we're giving away some copies of LR4 for free.

Lastly, if you were concerned the upgrade policy for Lightroom might change (as it will for Creative Suite), don't worry as Adobe has no plans for that.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:07:22 am by ProDesignTools »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:28 am »

It's a bit unsubtle that almost all your posts link back to your site. Have you thought about taking out advertising here?

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

Hi John, we have a team that covers Adobe full time and most of these relevant stories aren't available elsewhere, so trying to add value and information to the discussion.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2012, 10:30:16 am »

The archetypal exemple of this flashy incremental strategy is "content aware fill" which is the kind of stuff that wows people, but ends up being of very limited use in real life.
Actually it is an extremely useful tool for some people. And simply as a big time saver it is quite valuable in professional usage.
I could argue that 3D abilities or graphic design tools have no place in PS, but would be talking rubbish if I were to do so. The reason, Photographers make up about 10% of PS's customer base. So be careful when you moan about tools that you do not use or software bloat, as it these aspects could be the most important tools for other users.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

Adobe is making a classic business decision based on their product and user base.  One of the real difficulties in standing pat with PS CS5.x and LR3.x is that they are unlikely to support new cameras and lenses when the upgrades appear.  I so rarely use PS these days (I must be in the Michael Reichman school as per his statement in the latest LuLa C2P tutorial) so I can probably live without an upgrade since it's difficult to see what new can be added that would really help out.  However, if I don't upgrade LR and a new Nikon comes out that I really want there is a risk that I would need to take.  It's not like MSFT products where I can stay content using old versions of Word and Excel (and there are great open source alternatives if one want them).  Ultimately, I'll upgrade LR (and if softproofing is there use PS even less).
Adobe provide a free DNG convertor which allows you to use new camera files on older software for as long as you want to.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:12 am »

Hum... never had to use such a capability in more than 5 years shooting panos.

That's 'cuz your panos are well done, unlike mine, where vast amounts of empty pixels reside along the perimeter of the assembled image.
~ CB

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:32 am »

Adobe provide a free DNG convertor which allows you to use new camera files on older software for as long as you want to.

Exactly right - the Adobe DNG Converter is free to download and can be quite handy, although some folks think it's inconvenient to integrate into your workflow

Windows:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Mac OS:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

jjj

« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:26 am »

I agree with feppe that 'features' like content aware fill and puppet warp are just gimmicks that few people want. There was nothing in the CS5 upgrade for me. Small improvements in existing tools like edge masking may well be welcomed by a few users, but a reason to pay for an upgrade ? maybe not.

The second issue is just what percentage of potential upgraders that use PS can charge for their time ? or maybe more particularly, how much of that chargeable time is taken doing tasks that can be significantly shorter with the new features ?
Time saved also has to be counted against the time taken to upgrade, learn effective use of the features and adapt to any changes in the new version. I know a lot of people are more productive with older versions that they know very well, rather than having to change their working practices every two years.
I've noticed that when I first use with a new version of any Adobe product there is always that slight adjust as things have changed. But without fail, whenever I then go back to the previous version that I am far more familiar with, I find myself missing things in the new version. Adobe, unlike Apple are very careful not to upset long time users with modifications to how things work and usually consult before removing anything, so adjusting to new version is pretty painless on the whole. With the Adobe products I use that is.
And it doesn't even have to be flashy things like content aware that make the change worthwhile. Little UI tweaks to frequently used tools can sometimes make life so much easier than the headline features

Something that also seems to be completely overlooked in this thread and all other threads on this topic, is that when ever you buy the current version of PS or the entire Creative Suite after the announcement of the new release you get a free upgrade and Adobe would be insane to change this as just about every software company does this. Their update from several version back was however unusually generous.
This means that previously you could upgrade from 4 versions back, not just 3 and in future it will be 2 versions, so if you are the sort to skip alternate versions, then you still will be able to do so. This isn't even a hidden thing as the product manager for PS, John Nack mentioned it at CS5 update.
And compared to the price of upgrading cameras or buying new lenses/gadgets for one's photography, the upgrade price for LR/PS seems a real bargain even if you do it every refresh.

As for the price being dropped in order to reduce piracy as some people have posited. Yes it will have an effect on some potential purchasers, but not that much in my opinion. People steal much much cheaper music and films all the time. OSX Lion was up for pirating even before being released and Lion is stupidly cheap to purchase.  Lion cost me less than £30 and that's for all my Macs.

jjj

« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:25 am »

Exactly right - the Adobe DNG Converter is free to download ad can be quite handy, although some folks think it's inconvenient to integrate into your workflow
Maybe they should complain the the camera manufacturer who ignored free and open standards [DNG] or simply changed the label of the 'new' raw file which then breaks its functionality with previous raw software. It's Canon/Nikon/Olympus who cause the problem, not Adobe. Yet Adobe gets the blame for not supporting a 4 day old camera with 4 year old software that is no longer being sold.

jjj

« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:27 am »

Although content aware fill seems like magic, it sadly isn't. So you do have to learn to use it and like all tools it will have limitations. It's still more magical than an Ipad though!  ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:19 pm »

Hi John, we have a team that covers Adobe full time and most of these relevant stories aren't available elsewhere, so trying to add value and information to the discussion.
Said with a straight face? You've even linked to articles that are little more than copies of Adobe press releases. 

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »

John, to our knowledge there's nobody else giving away copies of Lightroom 4, nor anyone who's researched and reported on what the upgrade policies will be for Lightroom going forward.   Those were the relevant topics of the earlier post here... feel free to read more if you're interested, or not.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up