Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a z3100  (Read 1670 times)

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Moving a z3100
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:45:11 am »

I'll certainly contact HP about this once I get closer to the date, but if anyone's trod this path before I'd like to hear about the experience.

I've got a 44" z3100 in my attic studio.  It came up two tight flights of stairs to get here, strapped to a hand truck like a refrigerator.  Come December, it's got to go back down those stairs to be moved, along with all the rest of my crap, to a new off-site studio (yay!).  However, while when it came up the stairs it was a virgin, now it has been despoiled with inks, and my understanding is once these things are loaded up you really really don't want to tip them over.  

Therein lies the problem: It's going to have to be tipped, somewhat, to get back down the stairs.  Possibly as much as 45 degrees towards vertical, the long way.  Is this going to be a problem?  Has anyone else done this?

I can't get it out a window, they're too small.  If I absolutely must drain the ink, I'll do it and eat the cost, but I really would rather not because it's probably upwards of several hundred dollars of glorious colour I'd rather have on a canvas than in the tip.

Mama, hep me, I's scared!

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Moving a z3100
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:27:49 pm »

I'm going to have to send the Z next week and I will also have to tip up the printer to get it out the door. I will block the transport with the orange plastic block that secures the heads or transport at the park position. I'm hoping that for a short upright stance will not let the inks in the waste tank (normally a cotton diaper) run over the printer, especially not the calibration strip. I would have liked to ship it in my SUV, as it is safer not taking it off the stand, nor putting it back in the box. I suppose I'll take the cartridges out, but not the print heads. There is a lot of ink in the ink tubes, at least 14ml. I hope that doesn't run all over the place either. Now you have me scared!

Ernst Dinkla

Moving a z3100
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:44:19 pm »

Quote from: SeanPuckett,Oct 18 2007, 05:45 PM
I'll certainly contact HP about this once I get closer to the date, but if anyone's trod this path before I'd like to hear about the experience.

I've got a 44" z3100 in my attic studio.  It came up two tight flights of stairs to get here, strapped to a hand truck like a refrigerator.  Come December, it's got to go back down those stairs to be moved, along with all the rest of my crap, to a new off-site studio (yay!).  However, while when it came up the stairs it was a virgin, now it has been despoiled with inks, and my understanding is once these things are loaded up you really really don't want to tip them over.  

Therein lies the problem: It's going to have to be tipped, somewhat, to get back down the stairs.  Possibly as much as 45 degrees towards vertical, the long way.  Is this going to be a problem?  Has anyone else done this?

I can't get it out a window, they're too small.  If I absolutely must drain the ink, I'll do it and eat the cost, but I really would rather not because it's probably upwards of several hundred dollars of glorious colour I'd rather have on a canvas than in the tip.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote

Sean,

No experience but ...

The cart construction doesn't allow ink flowing into the cart, there's a valve between the cart pump and the ink bladder to prevent that. If you lock the head to the right and keep that side at the top then there will not be much pressure difference at the right side carts or the heads and all the pressure will be on on the left side carts. I think the cart connection seals will hold even at that pressure (they have to cope with the cart pump pressure)  but to be sure you could put in a piece of foam and tape the cart door so no cart can jump off its seal.

What I'm curious about is whether there are valves in the inklines at the head side that will close when the heads are taken off. One would expect that if it was just to keep the inklines closed for any dust getting in from the factory to the user. If that's the case it would be better to take the heads off. But without that information I would keep them on.

Any HP advice should be better than mine.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Moving a z3100
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 01:46:35 pm »

I've got a 44" z3100 in my attic studio.  It came up two tight flights of stairs to get here, strapped to a hand truck like a refrigerator.  Come December, it's got to go back down those stairs to be moved, along with all the rest of my crap, to a new off-site studio (yay!).  However, while when it came up the stairs it was a virgin, now it has been despoiled with inks, and my understanding is once these things are loaded up you really really don't want to tip them over. 

Therein lies the problem: It's going to have to be tipped, somewhat, to get back down the stairs.  Possibly as much as 45 degrees towards vertical, the long way.  Is this going to be a problem?  Has anyone else done this?

I can't get it out a window, they're too small.  If I absolutely must drain the ink, I'll do it and eat the cost, but I really would rather not because it's probably upwards of several hundred dollars of glorious colour I'd rather have on a canvas than in the tip.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Sean,
Hmmm, interesting problem you have.  I suspect your stairs have a turn if it's two flights to your studio.  Anyways, just a thought, that if you had the room, you could build a  sled out of plywood that basically is a wedge at the angle of the stairs keeping the printer level as it goes down.  I'd have some holes in it at the farthest edge from the stairs and loop rope (preferably nylon-easy-slide type) through and create a 2x4 brace across the top doorway so that the printer could be eased down the stairs a little at a time with the rope letting it go down slowly.  If you have to turn, then no can do I guess.

Alternatively, I wonder what HP reccomends for draining the ink (short of a wet dry vac???    ).  If you had a football linebacker refrigerator tank muscle builder on the lower end, he could keep the printer flat while you lowered your end down one step at a time using a nylon strap.  I'd recommend a lot of insurance in this instance however    

However you do it, think about a rope lowering system around a long 2x4 at the top behind the doorway.  Can save your machine and life...

Good luck... shew...  

Mark
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:50:15 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up