Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw for Tifs?  (Read 6055 times)

aross007

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:13:12 pm »

My workflow is to pick a digital camera file in Bridge, open it into Camera Raw and make most of my global edits, then to Photoshop for local edits.  When I scan a transparency with my Nikon 9000, and save it as a Tif, Bridge often won't let me open it in Camera Raw (the menu entry "open in camera Raw" doesn't even appear.)  If I copy it with Bridge to another directory, the menu entry appears (sometimes.)  If I open it into CS3, and save without doing anything, I can then open in camera Raw.  What switch or option am I missing?

Thanks for any insight,
Alan

b2martin

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:29:39 am »

My workflow is to pick a digital camera file in Bridge, open it into Camera Raw and make most of my global edits, then to Photoshop for local edits.  When I scan a transparency with my Nikon 9000, and save it as a Tif, Bridge often won't let me open it in Camera Raw (the menu entry "open in camera Raw" doesn't even appear.)  If I copy it with Bridge to another directory, the menu entry appears (sometimes.)  If I open it into CS3, and save without doing anything, I can then open in camera Raw.  What switch or option am I missing?

Thanks for any insight,
Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

b2martin

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:31:18 am »

In Photoshop CS3 Bridge go to Edit > Camera RAW Preferences and at the bottom of the Preferences check the boxes under Handling of JPEG and TIFF images.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:57:43 am »

I have exactly the same issue. Yes, all my preferences are set properly. When I scan with my Nikon 4000, and save as a 16-bit TIFF file, sometimes they open in Camera RAW and sometimes they don't. There is no apparent rhyme nor reason for this. Copying the files into another directory doesn't fix my issue, nor does opening and saving in Photoshop CS3.

If it didn't work at all that would be one thing. But when it works for one scan and not the next, it's infuriating.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

b2martin

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:25:50 pm »

I scan with a Nikon 9000 in standalone mode with Nikon Scan 4.0.2 and save 16bit images in a folder.  I select the folder with Photoshop CS3 Bridge and then select the image or images I want to edit in ACR.  I then press Crtl + R (I am using a PC) and they shown in ACR with the first image selected.  I then edit all images and click the done button when complete.  I run a Photoshop action from Bridge to do all ACR processing plus some Photoshop processing and save them in a folder.  I have never had a problem with this flow.

The only problem I have is opening them in Photoshop - if I double click on one it opens in ACR.

aross007

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 11:41:14 pm »

martin - preferences set correctly, CTRL-R doesn't work if the camera raw option isn't available on the menu.

bennet - what you said!  Could file size have an impact?

Alan

b2martin

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:04:59 am »

I don't understand what you mean by Camera RAW not available on the menu.  

If I select a folder of images with Bridge I will see an small image of each file in the folder.  If I click on File I see that Open with Camera RAW is greyed out because I have not selected an image in Bridge.  Click on one or a group of images and Open with Camera RAW is now available and if I then press Ctrl + R the images will be available in Camera RAW in Bridge.  I am using a PC, and don't know if a Mac is the same.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 07:29:40 am »

I don't understand what you mean by Camera RAW not available on the menu. 

The Camera RAW option in the menu is grayed out -- not selectable. Apple-R doesn't work, either. If I double click the TIFF file, it opens directly in Photoshop.

As I said, on about half of my scans, the TIFF>ACR works perfectly. My scanner is on a different computer, so I copy the scans to my workstation. Then I open the folder within Bridge, select a scan, and use Open in Camera RAW, and it works. Then on the next scan, with no apparent differences, it doesn't work. The Open in Camera RAW menu selection is grayed out.

Alan, my scans are only 130 megabytes. Not large, especially compared to scans of MF film.

--Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

aross007

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:20:54 pm »

Again, what Ken said, although in my case, for some of the TIFFs the "open in Camera Raw" option isn't greyed out, it just doesn't appear on the menu.

Alan

b2martin

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:56 am »

I always select the folder that contains image files (JPG, TIF, NEF) and select from 1 to all images (50 to 100) and use Ctrl + R (on PC) to open them in ACR.  I did not even realize there was an "Open with Camera RAW" in the menu until your post.  I have never tried "Open with Camera RAW", so don't know if it will work on my system or not. I just tried it and it works on my PC.  

I like to have multiple images in ACR so I can "Synchronize" parameters, which reduces my processing time, at least for NEF files.

amsp

Camera Raw for Tifs?
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 07:02:16 am »

You can always export the TIF as DNG in Lightroom, then just open the dng-file in photoshop. If you have Lightroom that is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up