Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile on Canon ipf5100  (Read 2705 times)

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
Profile on Canon ipf5100
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:52:14 pm »

I am giving up on the Canon pro 9000 dye printer.  By coincidence I have just sold my Epson 4800.  The intent is to replace these with the Canon iPF5100.

I have heard rumors about some profile difficulty when trying to create i1 profiles when using various paper mixes because of how Canon handles the "paper type" on the front panel.  Is there any truth to this rumor?

Has anyone profiles a number of "Non-Canon" (or even canon) papers for both glossy and matte?

In case it is important, I am using Win XP, CS3 and intend to let CS3 manage the colour.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:54:23 pm by tony field »

John Hollenberg

Profile on Canon ipf5100
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:48:43 pm »

I have heard rumors about some profile difficulty when trying to create i1 profiles when using various paper mixes because of how Canon handles the "paper type" on the front panel.  Is there any truth to this rumor?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This isn't a rumor, it is a fact.   In a nutshell, the problem is that none of the commonly used Media Types for gloss/luster papers allow printing to both the Cassette (paper tray) and the roll.  You can use one of the "Special" media types which don't have this limitation, but have their own problems.  The Special Media Types don't have Monochrome Photo mode available.  Also, in at least one case (Harman Photo Gloss FB Al), one of the Canon Media Types had a larger gamut than Special 5.  There are several workarounds to this problem, all of which are annoying, but not necessarily a deal breaker.  

This isn't generally a problem for matte papers, because the what is usually the best Media Type--Premium Matte--has Monochrome Photo Mode and allows printing from all 3 paper sources (Cassette, manual top tray, roll).

You can read more about the issue here:

[a href=\"http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/Considerations+Before+Buying+This+Printer]http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/Conside...ng+This+Printer[/url]

--John

pier64

Profile on Canon ipf5100
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:32:24 pm »

I am giving up on the Canon pro 9000 dye printer.  By coincidence I have just sold my Epson 4800.  The intent is to replace these with the Canon iPF5100.

I have heard rumors about some profile difficulty when trying to create i1 profiles when using various paper mixes because of how Canon handles the "paper type" on the front panel.  Is there any truth to this rumor?

Has anyone profiles a number of "Non-Canon" (or even canon) papers for both glossy and matte?

In case it is important, I am using Win XP, CS3 and intend to let CS3 manage the colour.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146747\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no issue that I know of in creating your own profiles for the iPF5100. The problem mentioned in the previous post is that you may need to create more than one profile for the same gloss paper due to the fact that you may be wanting to use all 4 paper paths and  there might not be a single suitable gloss "paper type" that allow you to do so.

By the way, I use x-rite pulse to create my profiles for the iPF5000 and they are great. I am sure the i1 will do the same if not better.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:36:45 pm by pier64 »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Profile on Canon ipf5100
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:41:11 pm »

By the way, I use x-rite pulse to create my profiles for the iPF5000 and they are great. I am sure the i1 will do the same if not better.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
From my experience the EyeOne and ProfileMakerPro profiles profiles are good, the pulse profiles are excellent and the MonacoProfiler Profiles with the saturation set to 50 are hands-down the best on this printer.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up