Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy a new Workstation (PC)  (Read 2764 times)

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Buy a new Workstation (PC)
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:36:28 pm »

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new workstation, i currently work on a Compaq Ewo V8000 with Xeon processor and 2Gb RIMM-RAM (difficult to find and €€€) which I will keep for scanning jobs etc.

The institution, I'm working at, always buys HP computers, so I had a look at there products but I'm a bit afraid of all these models, processors...

Should I stay with a Xeon machine or go for a new Core 2 Quad?

I had a look at this one :

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/... .../35943-36393-36399-36399-36399-80611482.html (sorry in french, but the major features should be easy to understand)

A HP xw4600 with Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2,66 GHz) and 4Gb Ram. I suppose Extreme Core are too expensive.

I would use it to work with 22MP files (PhaseOne) in Photoshop CS2 and Capture 1 (and I want to add Lightroom to my workflow too). Opening multiple files in Photoshop, or processing in C1 was really slow on the old Compaq. Don't even want to know what it will be like when the next generation of backs come out.

What about the graphic cards listed? I have a nice old Lacie CRT 22" and want to get a great 24" LCD soon too (Eizo or similar).

Thanks a lot for your ideas

Tom

tived

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 02:04:50 pm »

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new workstation, i currently work on a Compaq Ewo V8000 with Xeon processor and 2Gb RIMM-RAM (difficult to find and €€€) which I will keep for scanning jobs etc.

The institution, I'm working at, always buys HP computers, so I had a look at there products but I'm a bit afraid of all these models, processors...

Should I stay with a Xeon machine or go for a new Core 2 Quad?

I had a look at this one :

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/... .../35943-36393-36399-36399-36399-80611482.html (sorry in french, but the major features should be easy to understand)

A HP xw4600 with Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2,66 GHz) and 4Gb Ram. I suppose Extreme Core are too expensive.

I would use it to work with 22MP files (PhaseOne) in Photoshop CS2 and Capture 1 (and I want to add Lightroom to my workflow too). Opening multiple files in Photoshop, or processing in C1 was really slow on the old Compaq. Don't even want to know what it will be like when the next generation of backs come out.

What about the graphic cards listed? I have a nice old Lacie CRT 22" and want to get a great 24" LCD soon too (Eizo or similar).

Thanks a lot for your ideas

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146654\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Tom,

There are workstations and there are desktops in PC's just like in the Mac world, they are just called something else :-) Mac and MacPro :-)

Workstations are usually a lot more expensive then their counterpart in the desktop world, but not always faster. However, well buildt workstations, can usually take more RAM and are often multiprocessors capable. The harddrives are usually drives for 24/7 operation - enterprise level quality if there is such a term.

I have both a workstation and a desktop, one is a dual dualcore AMD with all the bells and whatnot, 8gb of RAM and can take another 8GB should I need it.
My Desktop is, a Intel Core2Quad or whatever they are called, it has 4gb of ram and can probably take another 4.
Price difference is that the desktop is 1/4 - 1/3 of that of the Workstation. However, the workstation is only 5-10% maybe 15% faster. Sure the workstation is my prefered machine, but putting it in perspective, I could add another 1D mkIII or maybe a 300mm f/2.8LIS lens to my kit, had I only bought the desktop.

If you got the CASH, I would buy a workstation build machine, just like I would buy a MacPro if I wanted a Mac machine.

HP, do make some nice workstations, as do Dell, but they are not cheap. If you want to buy a screamer work the likes of Dell or HP or .... try Dell;s Alienware, thought they are more aimed at Gamers, they are well build and fast!

For PS work, you probably don't need a super duper graphics card, but get one that at least support Directx 10.
I would get many fast hard drives, as I see this as your biggest bottleneck, so remember to get a case, that can hold many drives, Such as the bigger Lian Li cases, which also have good airflow for cooling ...ooops this is getting much too technical for ....never mind! ask away

If you are looking at rolling your own Hot-Rod, and you need some advise, please ask.

Henrik

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:38 am »

Thanks for helping,
I'll will probably go for the Quad and 4Gb Ram.

Disk space isn't really a problem, we have a great backup system and picture library, and I do my own weekly backups because I'm paranoid.

Concerning screens, I have two Eizo's in mind , the CG 24" (+-2000 Euro) or the CE 24" (+-1200 Euro) . The CG is a lot cheaper than other CG's, I don't really see why.

Tom-

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:15:22 am »

Thanks for helping,
I'll will probably go for the Quad and 4Gb Ram.

Disk space isn't really a problem, we have a great backup system and picture library, and I do my own weekly backups because I'm paranoid.

Concerning screens, I have two Eizo's in mind , the CG 24" (+-2000 Euro) or the CE 24" (+-1200 Euro) . The CG is a lot cheaper than other CG's, I don't really see why.
Tom-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alternatively you could go for one of the NEC 90's series like the 2490 or 2690 the later which is suppose to have a 92% of the AdobeRGB1998 Gamut. This should be particularly good if you are getting the SpectraView II version. There is a good reason why the CG of the EIZO are more expensive, they are more in every way.

EIZO and NEC are probably the two best monitor makes at the moment

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up