Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Decision.. P30,P25 or Aptus 22 HELP!  (Read 14053 times)

Snook

Final Decision.. P30,P25 or Aptus 22 HELP!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 08:45:55 am »

Does anybody know if Leaf has any service in South America..?
Unfortunately I might have to go with Phase one as they are the only ones in my country that have service for Phase One...
So currently looking at a refurbished P30.
Thanks for more information
Snook
PS. Does anybody have an opinion on skin tones with P30? Or how would you compare them to the skin tones with the Canon 1DsMII?
Thanks for any further information. Also I posted in another forum if any body could kindly send me a P30 File preferably some kind of studio Portrait or fashion shot.
Thanks again
Snook

yaya

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 12:17:22 pm »

Does anybody know if Leaf has any service in South America..?
Unfortunately I might have to go with Phase one as they are the only ones in my country that have service for Phase One...
So currently looking at a refurbished P30.
Thanks for more information
Snook
PS. Does anybody have an opinion on skin tones with P30? Or how would you compare them to the skin tones with the Canon 1DsMII?
Thanks for any further information. Also I posted in another forum if any body could kindly send me a P30 File preferably some kind of studio Portrait or fashion shot.
Thanks again
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook we have dealers in Brazil and Argentina, you can find their contact details on [a href=\"http://www.leaf-photography.com/ShowDoc.asp?MenuID=310]our website[/url]

PR

Yair

Snook

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:25:20 pm »

Yair do you know any body in particular? I go argentina a lot and probably would not be such a problem to send there if I had problems..
Where do they service Leaf?
Please let me know. Also do you know if I buy in the US and I live in South America would they have to hold up on the Leaf warranty or do I have to deal with my dealer only?
Please let me know asap.
Thanks
Snook

PS. Just sent someone there an e-mail and it came back with an error message right away.
Let me know if you can get some kind of contact for me.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:34:46 pm by Snook »

yaya

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 04:33:59 pm »

Yair do you know any body in particular? I go argentina a lot and probably would not be such a problem to send there if I had problems..
Where do they service Leaf?
Please let me know. Also do you know if I buy in the US and I live in South America would they have to hold up on the Leaf warranty or do I have to deal with my dealer only?
Please let me know asap.
Thanks
Snook

PS. Just sent someone there an e-mail and it came back with an error message right away.
Let me know if you can get some kind of contact for me.
Thank you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Most of the service and repairs can be done locally since the Aptus is designed as a modular system and our dealers go through the necessary training for it.
Buying locally (if possible) is always recommended as the back will be registered through the local dealer.
If you could e-mail me your contact details I will make sure that someone gets in touch with you ASAP and help you out.

Many thanks
Yair

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:20 pm »

Snook:  While we don't shoot the same type images (we do landscape and nature) it does look like we have similar camera kits as we also have a 1Ds II and 5D.  We made the jump to MF earlier this year going with the Mamiya AFD II and finally a Phase One P30+ back.   Back in my decision stages I also looked at a Leaf but later decided on  Phase.  

I know Ken Doo photography, having shot with him on a landscape location and seen his other work and agree that the P30 is a great MFDB.  I also have shot with the Hartblei and experienced no problems.

Even buying refurbished you're still talking a major investment.  Are you that sure you can't get to a city that has a dealer to check these backs out?  Seems a major risk of a huge amount of money buying sight unseen or in this case tested.  What we like about the Phase back may not fit into your workflow, likewise the same with Leaf.

This type of open ended question leads to open ended responses where everyone has   opinions and aren't afraid to share them.  Much like a discussion over the merits of a Ford vs. Dodge.

BTW - CS3 and LR both open Phase One without any problems whatsoever.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

....... Wait a minute - why not see if you can arrange for a long distance rental?

don

Snook

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:54 pm »

Thanks Don and others for the Information.
I live in Santiago and No-body has either the leaf or Phase...
A friend of mine has just bought the P45+ but that is way over kill for our market.
Like I have stated in other post I have never really had any complaints about the 1DsMII or even the 5D for that matter. And I have Double page adverts and Billboards all over the city..:+]
I am doing it because I want to offer my client more "Quality" and my competition is marketing his P45 to death..:+]
I would also like to get back to where I started and that is with Medium format. I like the Bigger viewfinder etc...
I have always disclike the 35mm size.. Don't ask why but I do and I do not use ANY of the options the 1DsMII has to offer. I shoot the same ALL the time. 100 ASA full manual except for Focus which I also hate on the Canon. I picked my old Pro Tl the other day playing around and I could focus easily with the Split Screen which I also installed on the CAnon but not the same.
BAck to the problem is that I live in the boon docks and there are no reps with AFDII anywhere I can find.
I also do not have the time to go to New York or where ever and try anything.
I basically have narrowed down to the Aptus 22 or the P30 not Plus. Besides those 2 I do not see any other options and Hassleblad is out of the question for the Money and I do not like the locked to body back deal. Makes upgrading a pain if not impossible, Quite dumb Marketing idea if you ask me..:+]
Thanks for you help
Snook
PS.
YAYA send me an e-mail @ ekphotography@mac.com
Thank you

amsp

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 05:21:17 pm »

The whole "Leaf has better skin tones than Phase", and the other way around for that matter, is total bullshit. It's all in your editing nowadays anyway. I shoot high-end fashion editorials with a P25 and I can get a "film" or digital look depending on how I choose to do my post production. So don't let that sway your decision either way. I for one found the fan-less cooling of the Phase back to be a big plus in my decision making.

Snook

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 03:29:14 pm »

P30 it is...  
For any who care...
Snook

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:23 pm »

Congratulations! I am sure you will not be disappointed. Show us some results as well.

Snook

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 07:08:48 pm »

Will do for sure.
I shoot just fashion mainly but when I travel I shoot a lot of Stock for myself and Clients and because I like too..  
So I'll try and post a little of both..
Snook

RyuuzakiJulio

• ファッションカメラマン
    • Ryuuzaki Julio & Taelin
Re: Final Decision.. P30,P25 or Aptus 22 HELP!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »

You already took your path. I have shoot with both Phase One and Leaf. I also shoot fashion. Phase One has more saturated tones than Leaf, helps with landscape, but Leaf gives you much more soft skin tones. The P30 has a base ISO of 100 which will feel at home with what you normally use. The Aptus 22 has a base ISO of 25 whitch is 2 full stops under 100. That means underexpose your canon by 6 clicks (if you are using 1/3 stops).
On a bright California day. With ISO 25, and a usable f/8-16 (less than 8 has very narrow DOF) not to mention the bigger size of the sensor also means less DOF on any aperture. The speed to use in that situation is 1/30 to 1/60. And pray for no wind if you are doing outdoors.
Perhaps the P30 was the best option. Though now you are under your competition and try to gain market with a P30 against a P45.
I have the Aptus 22 and I love it and I hate it. But I don't think I would go back to Phase One. I do like the Aptus files.

My 2cnts

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 04:25:22 pm »

You do see that you reply to a 5 year old post  ;)

Willow Photography

RyuuzakiJulio

• ファッションカメラマン
    • Ryuuzaki Julio & Taelin
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

You do see that you reply to a 5 year old post  ;)

Yes I saw that.

I just started fashion photography professionally 2 years ago, have shoot the 2011 Elite Models Calendar in India and while I was there I shoot for Marie Claire Magazine, also Shoot several campaigns in Japan, not to mention USA, winners or contestants of America's Next Top Model including winner Naima Mora, winner CariDee English and All Star Bre Skullark.

And even I was not aware of this post for 5 years. I recently got my Leaf Aptus 22. And was searching for info on it. I don't care if it's an old post, the backs are still for sale and many people might find this informative.

Thank you for your consern.  8)

archivue

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 02:49:11 am »

long exposure : P25+ and P30+

skin tones : Aptus 22 (iso 25)

large screen: Aptus 22 (iso 25)

100, 200 iso : P30+

mouvements with technical camera : Ap22 or P25+
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up