Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foto book  (Read 3097 times)

daniel voges

Foto book
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:48:06 am »

Hi,
I am looking for info to make a foto book from single sided prints.
If you take a few prints and fold it in half,  so you have a few v's. Now glue one half of each v together to get something that looks like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv if you look at it from the side more or less.
Does anyone know what type of glue I should use or double sided film maybe?

Regards.

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Foto book
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:09:50 pm »

Innova and Hahnemuhle make album kits with pages you print on (double-sided) and place in their 2-post binder. They look gorgeous.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:10:12 pm by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

sojournerphoto

Foto book
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:18:57 pm »

Innova and Hahnemuhle make album kits with pages you print on (double-sided) and place in their 2-post binder. They look gorgeous.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or get a craftsman bookbinder to bind for you

Jae_Moon

• http://
Foto book
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:59 pm »

Hi,
I am looking for info to make a foto book from single sided prints.
If you take a few prints and fold it in half,  so you have a few v's. Now glue one half of each v together to get something that looks like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv if you look at it from the side more or less.
Does anyone know what type of glue I should use or double sided film maybe?

Regards.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Daniel:

You should use 'PVA', the glue that many bookbinders use. You can purchase it from [a href=\"http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/adhesives/adhesives.htm]http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/a...s/adhesives.htm[/url]

When you glue two folded sheets (called folios), you should glue just 1/4" at the tips, and glue the spine edge only. To do it properly, follow the steps listed below:

1. Score the paper with a sharp bone folder on printed side of paper.
2. Fold along the scored line.
3. Use Teflon bone folder (or use smooth side of tea spoon) to press down along the fold.
4. Stack folded folios put it under weight (put a large cutting board on folios and put dumbbells, etc.) at least for 24 hours. Be sure stack the folio straight to have flat spine.
5. Placed the folio between two 3/4" particle boards with 1 inch of spine side of folio exposed.
6. Place heavy weight on the top particle board.
7. Apply PVA on the spine with brush, then rub with your finger (wetted with water) to push PVA into the grooves.
8. Let it dry at least an hour, longer the better/
9. Tip the loose end side of paper with PVA and join two sheets (apply 1/4' wide PVA)

The best way to learn is make a mock up with 8.5 x 11 copy paper, make folios, and practice the steps. It is not difficult but you need to be precise in cutting, folding, etc.  You may need to cut folios into same size once they were folded.

I have made many photo books with this design since the book will open and lay flat, and you can use any thickness of paper. You can have one or two prints on a folio, or even a panorama covering whole open page. The biggest book I made with this design is 20" x 20" (20 x 40 folio).

Good Luck,

Jae Moon
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:36:03 pm by Jae_Moon »

sojournerphoto

Foto book
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:16 am »

Daniel:

You should use 'PVA', the glue that many bookbinders use. You can purchase it from http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/a...s/adhesives.htm

When you glue two folded sheets (called folios), you should glue just 1/4" at the tips, and glue the spine edge only. To do it properly, follow the steps listed below:

1. Score the paper with a sharp bone folder on printed side of paper.
2. Fold along the scored line.
3. Use Teflon bone folder (or use smooth side of tea spoon) to press down along the fold.
4. Stack folded folios put it under weight (put a large cutting board on folios and put dumbbells, etc.) at least for 24 hours. Be sure stack the folio straight to have flat spine.
5. Placed the folio between two 3/4" particle boards with 1 inch of spine side of folio exposed.
6. Place heavy weight on the top particle board.
7. Apply PVA on the spine with brush, then rub with your finger (wetted with water) to push PVA into the grooves.
8. Let it dry at least an hour, longer the better/
9. Tip the loose end side of paper with PVA and join two sheets (apply 1/4' wide PVA)

The best way to learn is make a mock up with 8.5 x 11 copy paper, make folios, and practice the steps. It is not difficult but you need to be precise in cutting, folding, etc.  You may need to cut folios into same size once they were folded.

I have made many photo books with this design since the book will open and lay flat, and you can use any thickness of paper. You can have one or two prints on a folio, or even a panorama covering whole open page. The biggest book I made with this design is 20" x 20" (20 x 40 folio).

Good Luck,

Jae Moon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Love the idea of a book of panoramas

Mike

santa

Foto book
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:19:59 pm »

Daniel (or anyone),

Can you provide a link to a visual of what you are describing?

daniel voges

Foto book
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:55:26 pm »

Thank's everybody, Jay for the detailed info.
Santa what I want is called a story book album, like a http://www.graphistudio.com  album, a book without a gutter just like Jae Moon described above.

Regards.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:56:44 pm by daniel voges »
Pages: [1]   Go Up