Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: breathing color canvas, install profile later!  (Read 2211 times)

damdeziner

breathing color canvas, install profile later!
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:22:05 pm »

Well I spent some time with this canvas and the "3100" last night. I was trying too print the target and then give it a couple of hours to dry. I unloaded the roll, reloaded the custom paper (fine art, canvas) and chose the "create profile from a target already printed"! I kept getting a prompt that I needed to load the right paper?
The printers lcd showed the right paper loaded! Finally after many attempts I gave up and profiled by default (auto print, dry, rollback and scan) with success!
Maybe someone here has a clue what I did wrong?
Also, I made a print with my "auto" profile and found it to be weak (low contrast) and somewhat colorless. I know I am printing with the matte black but is this the norm with canvas and will the clear make the big difference to bring it back to what I was expecting? I will be using the Glamour ll as a finish.
If someone has a good profile for the BC chromata white they would like to share let me know as this would be a great way to compare the results with the same print.

Thanks,

Dave

Charles Gast

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:37:06 pm »

I'll go down and look in the past posts here but I think I recall this canvas uses photoblack ink.  I am going to do a non-APS profile on the sample I received in a week or two.  If this media uses matte black I don't really expect to get a satisfactory profile.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:24:50 pm »

Well I spent some time with this canvas and the "3100" last night. I was trying too print the target and then give it a couple of hours to dry. I unloaded the roll, reloaded the custom paper (fine art, canvas) and chose the "create profile from a target already printed"! I kept getting a prompt that I needed to load the right paper?
The printers lcd showed the right paper loaded! Finally after many attempts I gave up and profiled by default (auto print, dry, rollback and scan) with success!
Maybe someone here has a clue what I did wrong?
Also, I made a print with my "auto" profile and found it to be weak (low contrast) and somewhat colorless. I know I am printing with the matte black but is this the norm with canvas and will the clear make the big difference to bring it back to what I was expecting? I will be using the Glamour ll as a finish.
If someone has a good profile for the BC chromata white they would like to share let me know as this would be a great way to compare the results with the same print.

Thanks,

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dave -
I thought I had to wait for the BC Canvas to have a longer drying time, but in the end after experimenting with several profiles, the standard drying time has been fine.  A short answer to your question about the blacks - Yes, definitely what you're after will come through in deep richness with the Glamour Gloss II - just don't use too much matte in your mixture.  

The trick to reloading is to chose the paper first and then reload the pre-printed target.  I have been able to do this successfully no problem.  Thing is, the longer wait time didn't make much difference ultimately.  No question you'll get where you need by proper application of the coating.

Forge ahead!

Best-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

damdeziner

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:44:14 am »

Dave -
I thought I had to wait for the BC Canvas to have a longer drying time, but in the end after experimenting with several profiles, the standard drying time has been fine.  A short answer to your question about the blacks - Yes, definitely what you're after will come through in deep richness with the Glamour Gloss II - just don't use too much matte in your mixture.   

The trick to reloading is to chose the paper first and then reload the pre-printed target.  I have been able to do this successfully no problem.  Thing is, the longer wait time didn't make much difference ultimately.  No question you'll get where you need by proper application of the coating.

Forge ahead!

Best-

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Charles & Mark,
Thanks for the response I was hoping there would be someone listening.  
Mark--I will take your word for it as you seem to be very pleased with the result after finishing with Glamour ll.
It's nice to have folks like you guys to communicate with and get resolve...hopeful I can be of help in the future!

Cheers!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up