Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backgrounds  (Read 4071 times)

Professional

Backgrounds
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:06:07 pm »

Hi all,

I was confusing where to ask those questions, then i decided to post here and Mods can move it wherever they want.

What Background stands are recommended? the dimensions or measurements are: hight not less than 3m [~10' and above], width also not less than 3-3.5m.

I want to have muslin or canvas or any fabric/cloths, i know paper is most or popular used but i am not into replacing the paper all the time when getting dirt and collapsed [damaged], so i prefer to clean cloths or iron when wrinkles are there instead of papers as i know children will not keep it safe.

Also for dimensions of that background fabric used, i want also the hight not less than 2.5-3m and width not less than 3m an for length it is ok if it is longer than 4m up to 10m if so, hehe, i think the hight is included as length, so if we consider the hight is about 3m then the rest should be 2-5m more.

About colors, what colors should i get? White and Black are must for some reasons but i may get more another colors if necessary, any recommendations?

About light gels, what gels should i get? and are they helpful or useful for background lighting sometimes? if so then give me links to those gels.

The budget is not a big problem but i hope i can keep all that stuff under $300 or if so under $500, i can increase if necessary but for worthy.

I may add more question about this topic later if needed.

Tareq

Hank

Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:00:25 pm »

I doubt sincerely that you can get even part of your list for under $500.  We've paid more than that for some individual painted canvas backgrounds, and close to that for some of the best muslins.  Background stands and mounts can exceed that budget, too.  While we have a permanently installed motorized background system in our studio as well as another that is chain driven (both for painted canvases), we also use either of our two portable background racks for muslins.  One has "jack-up" legs at either end for wedging between the floor and ceiling, and the other is more portable and reminiscent of light stands with a long pole suspended between them.  With either of these two, the stiffness of the horizontal mounting pole is important.  The latter gets the most use for our location shooting, because we can use it in offices and other places with suspended rather than rigid ceilings, which are very common in commercial buildings.  It also breaks down into a very convenient canvas carry case.

We got all that hardware from Calumet, except for the motorized unit, which we got from Denny.  We have backgrounds from both sources, as well as some custom canvases from smaller companies.

If you're really on such a tight budget, you might consider what we do when travelling.  We go to Walmart or whatever large drygoods store is nearby and buy king sized velour blankets for backdrops.  They're available cheaply in a wide range of colors.  We still use the portable backdrop support I described last, to which we affix the blanket (or muzlins) with the large "clothes pin" style clamps available in most hardware stores.  You could do much the same in a home studio or on location.

As for colors of backgrounds, we select those based upon the skin tones and wardrobe of the subjects, as well as the direction of the client on commercial shoots.  At last count we have over a dozen canvases, 20+ muslins, and who knows how many blankets.  Black and white are good places to start, but I'd add gray to the list of most useful along with medium- to pale blue.  And for size, we use 10'x20' (roughly 3x6 meters) muslins for large groups when hung horizontally or for uniform background and floor when hung vertically and draped out onto the floor toward the camera.  Smaller sizes are okay for general subjects provided they will reach from the ceiling to the floor at a minimum and are about 25% wider than your widest subject groupings.  Dimnesions are listed with each backdrop at both the Denny and Calumet sites.

As for gels, we rely mostly on primary colors, neutral density and occasionally polarized gels.  We get them from Calumet also.  We use them a lot on backgrounds, but also for creative effects on some subjects.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:20:46 am by Hank »

Professional

Backgrounds
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:05:15 am »

Hi Hank,

your answer is very helpful and so informative, but....

... your answer disappointing me.
Now i have to check if i can increase my budget, but as i am going to buy many things rather than backgrounds accessories then i may arrange my priorities.
So i can't get any stand less than $500 or $300? i saw many stands on online stores less than $300.
and about canvas or muslins, there are expensive muslins and there are some little cheaper, so why i have to get all expensive products if there are cheap alternatives can do the job?
don't get me wrong but some people whether pros or amateurs told me that not always the expensive things are the best way for high quality results, so if i can get clothes normal from most of those shops or stores with different sizes will it be good enough? i tried with few clothes and i liked the results but if you tell me that i should get good quality products then the best thing is if you wouldn't mind is to post links for those your recommendations so i can check and order them rather than i go and search by myself and couldn't choose which is good enough, and i will take from your post that you are a pro or experienced enough in studio lightings and so, and again if i didn't say that before that i will do it for my family or some friends if possible, so i am not gonna use all that in professional works or business, and all that will be at home in a room with enough space, but i will keep this checking this thread as if i may extend my studio works to larger space or on locations.

So first i want you to link me for stands, and then those muslins or any background but not paper that i can use it, i will use black and white and gray as you and others too recommended me, i was going to add red and blue and green but thats why i asked about gel as some told me i can change backgrounds colors by light gel filters.

Thank you very very much  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:08:53 am by Professional »

Hank

Backgrounds
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

My mistake.  I thought you wanted to buy everything for $300-500.

Here is the portable backdrop holder we like so much.  It's only suitable for muslins up to 12 feet wide, but it's plenty sturdy and very convenient to use.

You can cruise the Calumet site and find most of the other accessories you want.

Here is the Denny website for backdrops.  They have a lot to chose from.  They also offer a wide variety of support systems.  Here is their motorized backdrop system.  We use the 6-roll wall mount version.  Our manual system (Bogen) is a lot less expensive, but requires more maintenance and is sometimes bothersome to use.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Backgrounds
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:09:10 am »

A ton of background choices at Denny's.

At WPPI last year I looked at several muslim background companies. I bought 2 from Backdrop Outlet (www.backdropoutlet.com) - they had quite a few very nice ones for a reasonable price- they photograph well.

I also bought a couple of very nice large hand painted muslims from Backgrounds by Maheu (www.backgroundsbymaheu.com).  A lot of top portrait studios use his backgrounds. They're quite a bit more, but they are really nice.

As far as stands I'm betting all of them have options.  I bought my background stand/system from Larsen Enterprises, rolled up into some soffbox's and reflectors. (www.larson-ent.com).  I believe Larsen also has backgrounds.

I never use paper.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:09:56 am by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up