Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads for tripods  (Read 13020 times)

Professional

Heads for tripods
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:54:33 pm »

So with different tripods, what heads are recommended to use?
say with Gitzo, Manfrotto, Slik, Gittos, Velbon,.... what kind of head do you prefer to use?
say for traveler tripods, hiking around, heavy gear and so...

For now i have Manfrotto 190XPROB coming alongside with 804RC2 which is a great combo, i have Manfrotto 679B tripod and i got the head 322RC2 to play with it, someone told me i should get better tripod if i will use heavier equipments, so not sure which monopod with a head should i get next.
I have also Gitzo G1540T traveller tripod without head, and i used 322RC2 with it in my last trip, so i can't decide which head should i get for this tripod for travel and light gear [not heavy]
and as for heavy equipment i know that i will but one head which is Wimberley, but not sure which tripod [Gitzo has several tripod in 3 and 5 series for heavy lenses equipments], so i will appreciate all your recommendations.

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
Heads for tripods
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:21:48 pm »

I recommend Really Right Stuff ballheads (RRS).

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Heads for tripods
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:22:33 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree - cant reccomend them strongly enough.

I have owned several different manfrotto tripods, heads [ball and otherwise] and recently sold all my manfrotto gear and bought a gitzo and RRS ballhead.

I should have done this years ago - its the best I have yet used by a long long way.

Not cheap - but you get what you pay for.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Professional

Heads for tripods
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:27:25 pm »

Thank you very much all.
Yes, i got some advised me about RRS ball heads, but i got many others as well recommended me Markings head

DarkPenguin

Heads for tripods
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:45:46 pm »

Kirk and Acratech also make nice products.

Professional

Heads for tripods
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:13:20 pm »

ok ok.  
i will keep using my manfrotto 190XPROB with its head 804RC2, and i will buy Gitzo tripod with wimberley head, and for this small traveler Gitzo tripod i will keep using 322RC2 with it till i can find only one head that will be good with it out of all those nice ball head recommended by all people.
Thank you very much  

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Heads for tripods
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:50 am »

Markins hands down. Why? Check its weight, yet same duty.  

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Heads for tripods
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

Markins Q3 for a DSLR with lenses up to 200 mm on a Gitzo GT 2540 LVL

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Heads for tripods
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:16:43 am »

I had an previous version of the Acratech, but now use Markins.  Between Markins and RRS, I don't think you could go wrong.  (and the newer Acratech is interesting) - I switched because the earlier Acratech didn't have a friction drag.  At the time I bought the Markins, though RRS didn't have their lighter version available.   There is also something to be said for keeping with one brand, at least for the QR and plates.

francois

Heads for tripods
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:55:24 am »

My vote goes to RSS or Arca-Swiss (if you shoot in dry/clean conditions).
Francois

LA30

Heads for tripods
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 03:14:59 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

M20!!!!!!!!

ken

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Heads for tripods
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:58:56 am »

I like to be accurate with my adjustments so I use a manfrotto geared head. Perfect for landscapes!

say with Gitzo, Manfrotto, Slik, Gittos, Velbon,.... what kind of head do you prefer to use?

For now i have Manfrotto 190XPROB coming alongside with 804RC2 which is a great combo, i have Manfrotto 679B tripod and i got the head 322RC2 to play with it, someone told me i should get better tripod if i will use heavier equipments, so not sure which monopod with a head should i get next.
I have also Gitzo G1540T traveller tripod without head, and i used 322RC2 with it in my last trip, so i can't decide which head should i get for this tripod for travel and light gear [not heavy]
and as for heavy equipment i know that i will but one head which is Wimberley, but not sure which tripod [Gitzo has several tripod in 3 and 5 series for heavy lenses equipments], so i will appreciate all your recommendations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mahleu

• 500px
Heads for tripods
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 08:05:26 am »

I use a manfrotto 468RC2 which is very solid but not light. I ordered the 486 which is a lot cheaper and they sent the wrong one. I emailed them and never heard a thing.

The only thing wrong with it is that the control knobs can unscrew completely, i've almost lost the panning knob a couple of times when i've had the tripod on my shoulder.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Heads for tripods
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 02:21:11 am »

Hi!

I have both an Actratech ultimate ball head and RRS BH-40. The BH 40 has a level type quick release and this is a major advantage. I like the Acractech better than the RRS except for the quick release.

I have used both with a Velbon Carmagne 630 tripod, quite often with a 400/4.5 lens + 2x extender. I had no problem with stability. There is some flexing when the head is locked on both, which makes it difficult to compose the picture exactly.

Right now I use the RRS BH-40 on the Velbon Carmagne normally, it's in the trunk of my car, the Acratech is sitting on an old Manfrotto 55 which I have in my flat.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:23:53 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

aaykay

Heads for tripods
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 09:29:44 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I went with the Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead.  Weighs in at 1.4lbs and is rated for upto 130lbs load.

aaykay

Heads for tripods
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:40 am »

I like to be accurate with my adjustments so I use a manfrotto geared head. Perfect for landscapes!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The newer Arca Swiss models - the Z1 DP (DP = double pan) and the P1 DP are perfect for landscapes.  Especially if you want to stitch.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Heads for tripods
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 09:36:04 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto. I just got one last week. OK, they ARE expensive and I was wondering why until I picked one up at a recent show, and talked with the owners about the product. A stunning product. Oh, the Pano head is also really cool. Can't wait to do some real work with it.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

akclimber

Heads for tripods
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 06:48:04 pm »

I've owned and used an Acratech, Kirk BH-1 and RRS BH-55.  The Acratech was small and light but didn't play well with a Sidekick and 500 f/4 IS - it always seemed to creep.  The Kirk was nice and solid but was replaced by the RRS when I had an opportunity to purchase one at a great price.  The RRS is bombproof. Rock solid.  A joy to use.  It's mounted on a Gitzo 1346 with leveling base.  If/when I can afford a smaller, lighter tripod/head combo, regardless of the tripod I end up with, I'll be buyng a RSS BH-40 or even BH-25.  Spendy?  Yep.  Worth it?  Yep.  Oh, and I find it nice that they're made in the US.

CHeers!

julian_love

• www.julianlove.com
Heads for tripods
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:33 am »

I have a Markins Q-3 on my Gitzo 1540 and an M-10 on my Velbon 5300 - both heads are excellent - superbly made, rock solid, small and light. I would buy another Markins without hesitation if I needed a new head.

Julian

Slough

Heads for tripods
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 08:22:09 am »

The Markins M10 is excellent but not perfect.

The captive (?) QR knob on mine fell off. I have never heard of any other similar cases. I replaced it with a wing nut after trying to get a replacement from Nikonians got unpleasant. They kept telling me they sent a replacement captive knob despite my clear statements that they had sent a non-captive one.

The only criticism I have of the design is the pan knob. It is rather small and I find it a bit painful to use as the surface is knurled metal, and it needs a lot of pressure applying.

Otherwise it is first rate. Not that many others aren't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up