Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filters  (Read 1797 times)

Professional

Filters
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:49:25 pm »

hi all,

This is my first post in this great forum website

I want to ask simple straight questions: what filters should i get for outdoor and landscapes?
I have plenty of lenses but i am mostly want filters for my 16-35L [if i use Full frame] or 10-22 [if i use 1.6x] at the widest focal length [16mm or 10mm], so i don't want vignetting to be shown, and i want to attach more than 1 filter on the lens at the same time, so what filters you recommend me to get? [Polarizer, ND, GND, ...etc].

I have B+W polarizer filter [77mm] which is great and no vignetting, and i have cokin holder and adapter ring to go with Hitech GND filters, seems i see very tiny vignetting but if i use it with another filter [polarizer or warming or ND for example] then the vignetting is more, so what are your recommendations?

I asked theses questions in many websites and all answers i got is to manipulate by photoshop, and i wonder when i saw some photos where the photographers using more than 1 filter how can they get it without vignetting?

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:15:45 pm »

The modern approach for digital is to capture the best freshest bits and damage them as little as possible in the field.  Color modification filters and gradated (graduated) ND filters commit you to decisions that you can't undo.  I recommend three shots +/- 1 2/3 stops and combining them in HDR or with masks as a better way than GND approach for digital.  Yes, you will find many gross examples of inexpert HDR as well as gross examples of GND.  You can also extend the dynamic range (compared to jpeg) by shooting in Raw mode.

For each size, I carry only a UV filter (off the lens unless needed for hazardous conditions like unruly crowds or salt spray), a couple of ND filters (ungradated), and a circular polarizer (for skies and reflections).  If I use the CP, I often make a similar shot without the CP, and decide later.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 04:17:17 pm by Monito »

Professional

Filters
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:17 pm »

The modern approach for digital is to capture the best freshest bits and damage them as little as possible in the field.  Color modification filters and gradated (graduated) ND filters commit you to decisions that you can't undo.  I recommend three shots +/- 1 2/3 stops and combining them in HDR or with masks as a better way than GND approach for digital.  Yes, you will find many gross examples of inexpert HDR as well as gross examples of GND.  You can also extend the dynamic range (compared to jpeg) by shooting in Raw mode.

For each size, I carry only a UV filter (off the lens unless needed for hazardous conditions like unruly crowds or salt spray), a couple of ND filters (ungradated), and a circular polarizer (for skies and reflections).  If I use the CP, I often make a similar shot without the CP, and decide later.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much.
So far for UV and CPL i got them doing great job.
I have normal ND [8x] which is good enough as well but maybe i can get another one much better.
So from your post i should think more about GND? then tell me, if you take a photo of a water flow or water fall in so blown out skies by clouds, you will never use GND? how can you expose the sky and foreground? if taking few shots then i can't get 2 or 3 shots in 2-5 seconds without hanging in the subjects if moving, unless i freeze everything for longer than 10 seconds, if you tell me not necessary then how i can keep that sky well exposed mostly without keep that foreground into shadow [dark].
By the way, i shoot always in RAW.
i posted a photo somewhere else asking people about that, and the strange funny thing is that after they told me i don't need a GND then after seeing the photo someone advised me to use GND, so seems people are not all sure if they should use filters or do everthing by photoshop digitally, i hope i will not find oneday when i come back home that photoshop can't fix something and i have to replace or change something in the photo which is fake.

And i am wondering why most photographers [some are pros  as well] using filters including GND while they know they can simulate or work on photoshop for same effects mostly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up